A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns (2007)

by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi (nu-bibliophile)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)

English (685)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (19)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (7)  French (6)  Finnish (5)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  German (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (779)
😭😭😭 that was me while I was reading this. I had to keep stopping so I could take a breath. Such a sad sad story. It reminds me to be thankful that I live in a country where women are free. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Apr 20, 2019 |
This review is of the audiobook edition read by Atossa Leoni.

A Thousand Splendid Suns examines some 30 years Afghanistan's history starting with the communist rule of the 1960s, moving through the battles of the warlords after the Soviet exit, moving into the rise of the Taliban and the subsequent American invasion, and then into the repatriation days of the early 2000s. It does this all through the eyes of two girls who grow to be women in a hostile environment where women are considered disposable.

As an audiobook, it was exceptional. The language is beautiful and hearing it read out loud, and by such a lovely voice, enhances that. I was so absorbed in the story that I disturbed some of my neighbors on my daily walk to the bus stop with periodic outbursts of "Run!", "I HOPE HE DIES", and occasional growling. While listening on Christmas morning during my shower, my husband, who could not hear the book only me, was greatly amused to hear the following: "KILL HIM. HIT HIM WITH THE SHOVEL. YOU FUCKING KILL HIM. YESSS BITCH."

While there was nothing about this that was revelatory for me and the darkness of it crossed the line of wearisome at times, I still give this book 5 stars by virtue of how drawn into it I was and the insight the author provides into the hearts, minds, and perspectives of Afghans.

Those who find themselves exceptionally disturbed by depictions of violence, particularly violence towards women, will likely find the content extremely distressing. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Apr 12, 2019 |
I can honestly say that I enjoyed this more than his first. Very well written! ( )
  BookLove80 | Feb 21, 2019 |
A lengthy but riveting tale about a young Muslim girl's life through the war and the aftermath of it. A coming of age tale that brings together elements of religion and culture. ( )
  Elaine_Omwango | Jan 26, 2019 |
This book covers 30 years of time in Afghanistan. The story is mainly about two women named Mariam and Laila and it follows them from childhood to adult hood. The book starts with the Soviet invasion and ends with the overthrow of the Taliban. The women are separated in age by about 14 years, but when Laila becomes a teenager, they are thrown together in a situation that brings them from being enemies to sisters. Along the way there is love, heartache, and death in both of their lives.

It is hard to describe too much about this book without giving away the plot, but I think this might be my favorite book of this year. It is going to be hard to beat, and it is only January. The Kite Runner was magnificent and ended up being my favorite book last year, and this book as equally as good. I had a hard time putting it down wanting to read just one more chapter. There is a love story for Laila that you fight for when the boy she loves is torn away from her. There is heartache for Mariam that you wish she could escape from, but she never can. And you learn a lot about what it was like for Afghani women during this time and are thankful for living where you do.

Run to get this book. It is a must read. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Vi følger to afghanske kvinners liv gjennom tre tiår med krig og Talibans tyranni. Mariam er en harami ­– uekte datter av en rik forretningsmann. Laila en oppvakt og moderne jente fra Kabul.

Gjennom skjebnens luner forenes deres veier, og de blir allierte i kamp mot en brutal ektemann og et krigersk, kvinneundertrykkende samfunn.

Hosseini gir en brutal, men nyansert beskrivelse av den patriarkalske despotismen som gjør kvinner avhengige av fedre, ektemenn og sønner. Men tross all sorg og urettferdighet, vold og fattigdom, mord og henrettelser, løfter Hosseini og hans kvinnelige hovedpersoner leseren med seg videre og nekter oss å gi opp håpet.

"Nok en kunstnerisk triumf og garantert bestselger fra denne fryktløse forfatteren."
Kirkus Review

"I tilfelle du skulle lure på om Khaled Hosseinis Tusen strålende soler er like god som Drageløperen er svaret: Nei. Den er bedre."
Washington Post

Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
of Mariam and Laila,
of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Two women born a generation apart witness the destruction of their home and family in wartorn Kabul, losses incurred over the course of thirty years that test the limits of their strength and courage.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,171,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible