Duizend schitterende zonnen by Khaled…

Duizend schitterende zonnen (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Khaled Hosseini

Member:HistoryMan
Title:Duizend schitterende zonnen
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Amsterdam De Bezige Bij 2007
Rating:*****
Tags:literature, asian literature, read

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)

English (611)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (17)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (700)
After reading The Kite Runner, I had big hopes on this book. But it just didn't live up to my expectations.Nevertheless the book is a good read!
The book simply failed to deliver the Heavy Emotions that is supposed to have been there.
One thing I really loved about the book was the attention that the writer gave to minute details. Details that could have been easily missed.
One other thing that deserves huge appreciation is the fact that the books revolves around the lives of two completely contrasting women but with one similar characteristic : The Ability to love.
For someone who virtually has no idea of Kabul or its culture, the book is sure an "Eyeopener". A beautiful heritage rich city destroyed by man made violence.
The writer has also given a fair insight of state of women in Taliban ruled Afghan. Of course that part of the book is really depressing to read. Sadly its the reality.
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
this was a good story that kept me interested. i don't really have much to say beyond that. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Almost the best writing I've ever had the pleasure to experience. It took me a bit too long to get into the novel, but I was rewarded for sticking with it. There were paragraphs that I read repeatedly and slowly because the images were so beautifully crafted, and I wondered how I ever could stand reading Twilight. The English major in me was loosened and basking in the thousand splendid words.

I know so little about Afghanistan's history, politics, and culture that I was able to take the circumstances described in this book as gospel truth. How realistically that was all portrayed, I don't know, but I'm taking Hosseini at his word. Reading this after reading the dystopian novel, The Handmaiden's Tale made the circumstances of Laila & Mariam's lives all the more disturbing. When reading the handmaiden's tale, I could fear and want to prevent the future extreme oppression of American women, but this was like the same story but real, just in a foreign country, giving even more credibility to the dystopia in The Handmaiden's Tale. While I sit in relative freedom, reading and doing what I want to, I can feel truly grateful for what I have but also a burden of guilt. What the hell am I doing to help those who are being persecuted all around me while I'm in ignorant bliss? Who will help us when the children in the quiverfull movement and those in Jesus Camp are old enough to reach their goals? This novel, obviously, has left me thinking and feeling utterly dissatisfied and depressed, but it may be what pushes me over the edge to actually do something.

Laila & Mariam's story made me weep frequently, feel a range of emotions in general, and enlightened themes of familial responsibility, sacrifice for our loved ones, abuse of power & oppression, dependency & the necessity of strong communities.

I would love to sit down and discuss this novel for its literary merit and its implications---I'm aching for a discussion group. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Every once in a while, you read a book that completely transports you and takes you to a place and time you will never otherwise fully experience. This is such a novel, where the grief of war and the perseverance of the people caught in the turmoil wrenches a reader's consciousness. Hosseini has matured from his first novel; gone is the incessant foreshadowing and heavy allusions present in "The Kite Runner." In this second novel of the Middle East, the author has mastered subtle literary techniques, such as poetic references and the artful use of suspense. As with his first novel, you easily care deeply about his characters and grieve their losses as your own. A reader will leave this novel with a greater appreciation for the complexity of Afghanistan and the resilient grace of its native peoples. ( )
  Meghanista | Jul 29, 2015 |
One word to describe this book and one word only; perfect. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Vi følger to afghanske kvinners liv gjennom tre tiår med krig og Talibans tyranni. Mariam er en harami ­– uekte datter av en rik forretningsmann. Laila en oppvakt og moderne jente fra Kabul.

Gjennom skjebnens luner forenes deres veier, og de blir allierte i kamp mot en brutal ektemann og et krigersk, kvinneundertrykkende samfunn.

Hosseini gir en brutal, men nyansert beskrivelse av den patriarkalske despotismen som gjør kvinner avhengige av fedre, ektemenn og sønner. Men tross all sorg og urettferdighet, vold og fattigdom, mord og henrettelser, løfter Hosseini og hans kvinnelige hovedpersoner leseren med seg videre og nekter oss å gi opp håpet.

"Nok en kunstnerisk triumf og garantert bestselger fra denne fryktløse forfatteren."
Kirkus Review

"I tilfelle du skulle lure på om Khaled Hosseinis Tusen strålende soler er like god som Drageløperen er svaret: Nei. Den er bedre."
Washington Post

Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible