A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition…

A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Khaled Hosseini

Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 384 pages

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)

English (614)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (17)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (703)
I don't like reading books that take place in other countries, I'm unfamiliar with a lot so I tend not to read them. For example, I read a book once and it introduced a husband and wife by their first names and I didn't know which one was the husband and which one was the wife until a little later in the book. And that's why I've never read any of Hosseini's book until now but I'm glad I read it.

So let's see... this book read a lot like non-fiction to me with all the information that was packed in there; I feel more informed about Kabul and Afghanistan.

With that said, this book starts out with us getting to Mariam in Part 1. Then in Part 2, we got to know Laila - part 2 was a struggle for me, it was boring for the most part and that's why I only gave this book 4 stars and not 5. Part 3, Mariam and Laila's lives collide. What an unfair hand they were dealt, especially Mariam. My heart broke for them, over and over. I'm glad they had each other.

I suppose the ending of this book was perfect and I'll be sure to recommend if I can find someone who hasn't read it yet. ( )
  Sharn | Nov 12, 2015 |
The book is well written and offers an insight into life in Afghanistan, but has very little redeeming value other than that. The first two thirds of the book take one depressing turn after another with no hope in sight. What's worse is that you can't even sympathize with the characters: at their best, they have little personality and are more like punching bags than people. At their worst, they go along with the horrors going on around them. Eventually, the book tries to turn around, but by then it's too late. Quite frankly, I found myself not caring too much what happened to them and not feeling particularly connected. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
If you read this as fiction, it's a good story. If you read it to know about women's lives in Afghanistan, then it seems to me extremely unlikely that an Afghan man, who didn't live there during the period he is writing about, is going to produce anything more than stereotypes of how horrible westerners think the women's lives must be. I found some of the details unconvincing. Where could he possibly get his women's thoughts from? Not Afghan women in Afghanistan. The more I think about it, the less I like the book, though I enjoyed reading it at the time. ( )
  varske | Oct 25, 2015 |
After reading The Kite Runner, I had big hopes on this book. But it just didn't live up to my expectations.Nevertheless the book is a good read!
The book simply failed to deliver the Heavy Emotions that is supposed to have been there.
One thing I really loved about the book was the attention that the writer gave to minute details. Details that could have been easily missed.
One other thing that deserves huge appreciation is the fact that the books revolves around the lives of two completely contrasting women but with one similar characteristic : The Ability to love.
For someone who virtually has no idea of Kabul or its culture, the book is sure an "Eyeopener". A beautiful heritage rich city destroyed by man made violence.
The writer has also given a fair insight of state of women in Taliban ruled Afghan. Of course that part of the book is really depressing to read. Sadly its the reality.
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
this was a good story that kept me interested. i don't really have much to say beyond that. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.
Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)
Vi følger to afghanske kvinners liv gjennom tre tiår med krig og Talibans tyranni. Mariam er en harami ­– uekte datter av en rik forretningsmann. Laila en oppvakt og moderne jente fra Kabul.

Gjennom skjebnens luner forenes deres veier, og de blir allierte i kamp mot en brutal ektemann og et krigersk, kvinneundertrykkende samfunn.

Hosseini gir en brutal, men nyansert beskrivelse av den patriarkalske despotismen som gjør kvinner avhengige av fedre, ektemenn og sønner. Men tross all sorg og urettferdighet, vold og fattigdom, mord og henrettelser, løfter Hosseini og hans kvinnelige hovedpersoner leseren med seg videre og nekter oss å gi opp håpet.

"Nok en kunstnerisk triumf og garantert bestselger fra denne fryktløse forfatteren."
Kirkus Review

"I tilfelle du skulle lure på om Khaled Hosseinis Tusen strålende soler er like god som Drageløperen er svaret: Nei. Den er bedre."
Washington Post

Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible