A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition…

A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Khaled Hosseini

Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 384 pages

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)

English (653)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (17)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (742)
couldn't get past the first couple of pages of the first chapter ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
Unquestionably a really good book, but very painful to read. Knowing that stories like this--and worse--happen in Afghanistan all the time is heartbreaking, and the hope the author tries to create in the end rings a little hollow in light of recent events. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
This review can also be found on my blog acascadeofbooks.blogspot.com
The book club I'm a member of at school chose this for our first read, and as it has been on my TBR pile for a while, I was happy to read it.
This is a beautifully written novel, about hope and faith, and how we as humans cope with hardships in our life.
I found this novel very educational, as I knew very little about Afghanistan, or what had gone on there. I feel like this novel has really opened my eyes.
I really liked discovering the women's story, and how they felt during all of it, although it was brutal, it was also uplifting.
The plot was well written, it had plenty of dialogue, which told the story, and helped with your ideas of the characters. I also liked the addition of words in their native language, not English. I thought this added nicely to the setting, and to the idea that it wasn't anything like life here.
I din't like the ending quite so much, I found it quite sad, but I was also a little disappointed with the "Happily Ever After" feel to it.
Overall I enjoyed this novel, and it made me appreciate the freedom we have, and just how ignorant we are to this freedom. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
couldn't get past the first couple of pages of the first chapter ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
Read this as part of the book club and I must say, its much more powerful then the author's first novel, The Kite Runner. The characters were very well written and the evolution of the relationship between the two women was amazing to read. The glimpse into the lives women experience in this part of the world is brought to vivid and often painfully detailed life. Worth pointing out is the minor yet noteworthy use of American film in this book and Hossein's previous novel. The going to the theater to watch the Magnificent Seven in Kite Runner echoes the main character's own journey to the third-world to help someone in dire need. In this novel, little nods are made to the enormous impact of American culture through film. The passage on the mania of Titanic in Afghanistan I thought was fascinating. One of the most poignant moments in the novel is the discovery of the Pinocchio tape so many years later and none of the remaining character knowing the meaning behind the gesture, only the reader knows. ( )
  Humberto.Ferre | Sep 28, 2016 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.
Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)
Vi følger to afghanske kvinners liv gjennom tre tiår med krig og Talibans tyranni. Mariam er en harami ­– uekte datter av en rik forretningsmann. Laila en oppvakt og moderne jente fra Kabul.

Gjennom skjebnens luner forenes deres veier, og de blir allierte i kamp mot en brutal ektemann og et krigersk, kvinneundertrykkende samfunn.

Hosseini gir en brutal, men nyansert beskrivelse av den patriarkalske despotismen som gjør kvinner avhengige av fedre, ektemenn og sønner. Men tross all sorg og urettferdighet, vold og fattigdom, mord og henrettelser, løfter Hosseini og hans kvinnelige hovedpersoner leseren med seg videre og nekter oss å gi opp håpet.

"Nok en kunstnerisk triumf og garantert bestselger fra denne fryktløse forfatteren."
Kirkus Review

"I tilfelle du skulle lure på om Khaled Hosseinis Tusen strålende soler er like god som Drageløperen er svaret: Nei. Den er bedre."
Washington Post

Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,767,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible