A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition…

A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Khaled Hosseini

Member:shoshincal
Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

Recently added bycecca, jhmbaker, rebajoy, tofupup, pcollins, ReadingGoddess, private library, yuloe, WilsonKoP, mccbookdrive
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)

English (593)  Dutch (28)  Spanish (16)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (682)
Algus oli raske, sest see raamat on masendavalt halvasti kirjutatud (tõlgitud?), kuid mida edasi, seda rohkem kaalub põnev lugu Afganistani elust olust läbi aastakümnete üles lugemise vaevuse ja lõpuks harjud ära, et tekst peabki olema üheplaaniline ja lakooniline.
Pean tunnistama, et minu teadmised islamielu kohta pärinevad vaid ühest Jeemenist rääkivast raamatust- Z. Muhseni "Müüdud", mis oli ikka väga räige, ning meediast . Ning ka selle raamatu tutvustus oli ilmselt koostatud minusugust lääneinimest silmas pidades.
Ma arvan, et raamat oleks olnud tegelikult mõjusam, kui loo teljeks oleks olnud nn normaalsed inimesed. Perevägivald, vähemalt minu jaoks, mõjus ühiskonna kallal toime pandava vägivalla taustal väheolulisena. Rahumeelse pere baasil oleks muudatused ühiskonnas ning nende mõjud ilmselt tundunud veel mõjusamad. Aga ju oli selllise stereotüüpse vägivaldse islamiperekonna keskmesse toomine vajalik müügieduks. Ja töötas ju ka minu peal.

Loe edasi
http://indigoaalane.blogspot.com/2010/11/khosseini-tuhat-hiilgavat-paikest.html ( )
  Indigoaalane | Jul 18, 2014 |
This was originally posted on http://bellesbeautifulbooks.blogspot.com
The Short:
I disliked this book. I hated everything about this book. I didn't like the characters or the story. It was just bad. If I didn't have to read it for school, I would never have finished it.

The Long:
From the start of this book I knew it was not a book that I would like. I didn't connect or even like any of the characters. They were ALL flat. There was no change in how any of the characters acted. If there was an interesting character, I may have liked reading this book. I didn't like either of the girls POV (even if the POVs were done well). They were very bland. To describe the girls in one word it would be pleb.
The plot was dull at its best. It never got to the point where I HAD to keep reading. I was always dreading picking up the book. Literally, the whole plot was the husband getting mad and the girls trying to make it better. NOT GOOD!
I don't know if people actually like this book if they have read it, but it was not for me. ( )
  BelleBooks117 | Jul 13, 2014 |
3.5, but decided to round up. However, this is definitely not equal to The Kite Runner! ( )
  patsaintsfan | May 23, 2014 |
Beautiful against all odds.

It was not easy to get into the book, because of the anticipation of all the bad things that I knew were going to happen. As soon as I let myself go I enjoyed it to the last word.

Yes, the lives of these women are horrible, they suffer a lot of injustice and violence BUT the story in the book is beautiful. There's enough hope in the story to push you to read, and even in the worst moments the story does not delve in desperation.

The more you read, the more you want, and the more you enjoy it. ( )
  RamonSuarez | May 19, 2014 |
It took me a long time to finally read this book because I knew it would make me cry and I really didn't want to cry. I finally read the book and yes, I actually cried a lot and I got so angry in so many parts!! But, this book also made me smile and laugh which is always good. :)

I'm just going to start with: I HATE RASHEED WITH A BURNING PASSION!!! I know he had a hard life and tragic things happened to him but that doesn't excuse the despicable acts he committed in this book! Poor Mariam and Laila suffered so much throughout this book, just imagining the things that they went through made me cringe and stop reading in some parts.

Mariam was tormented throughout most of her life with a father who was too busy doing what was best for him, a mother who was not a good role model and not completely capable of being a parent, as well as a husband who made everything worse.

Laila's story made me truly appreciate everything that I have and also gave me the knowledge that it could be taken away in an instant.
I guess the ending of this book is positive but it was heartbreaking at the same time. However, it was realistic at the same time, in real life there aren't always 100% happy endings. Bad things happen and things don't always work out the way you want. :(

At the end of everything, I did love this book! Although, I was still hoping for that Disney happy ending! :) ( )
  Mathusha | Apr 19, 2014 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,624,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible