A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition…

A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Khaled Hosseini

Member:bsima
Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)

English (626)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (17)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (715)
An engaging read - I actually cared about Marian and Laila and the story was emotional without being sentimental.
Set against the troubles of Afghanistan in general and Kabul in particular this story offers an interesting insight into what some peoples lives may have been like. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
This book was so disturbing as to make me reluctant to even pick it up at times. The situation in Afghanistan during this time period was even worse than I thought, and the treatment of women doubly so. Treating them as second-class citizens and making them cover up I knew about, but not providing health care??? That I did not know. I assume the situation described with the hospital is an accurate depiction of real-life Afghanistan. A tribute to the resiliency and fortitude of afghani women to be sure, and really educational, but disturbing nonetheless. One male character in this book is so horrible that I fully expect to see him in a nightmare or or two down the road some night. I loved Mariam and actually cried for her. It's a well-written fiction story that evoked real tears on my part because I know in my heart that it is more than likely based on facts, so I am recommending it very highly, but I didn't rate it "I loved it," because I did not love it, I actually struggled through it. One of those things everyone should know about even if they would prefer not to. Of course I'm kind of an ostrich type when it comes to political issues, especially unpleasant ones. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Splendid book.. heart goes to Afgan women for the suffering during the war regimes. the mix of fiction with actual happenings during the same period is too good. its a "SPLENDID" book. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is one of those books that "takes you there". Beautifully written, you find immediate liking for the characters and you can feel the atmosphere and tension they live in. Impossibly, the ending conveys hope for the future. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book about two Afghani women during a time of chaos is a story that will stay in your mind forever. This story showed me what it was really like to live in Afghanistan during this time. It's so sad and scary that women were and still are being abused like this. Hosseini really made it feel like I was there in Afghanistan with Mariam and Laila. This book really informed me how terrible women are treated in this part of the world. After reading this book I further realize how lucky I am to be free living in the US. I would recommenced this book to anyone and especially those who want to broaden their knowledge of this part of the world. ( )
  ClaireTauckus | Jan 22, 2016 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Vi følger to afghanske kvinners liv gjennom tre tiår med krig og Talibans tyranni. Mariam er en harami ­– uekte datter av en rik forretningsmann. Laila en oppvakt og moderne jente fra Kabul.

Gjennom skjebnens luner forenes deres veier, og de blir allierte i kamp mot en brutal ektemann og et krigersk, kvinneundertrykkende samfunn.

Hosseini gir en brutal, men nyansert beskrivelse av den patriarkalske despotismen som gjør kvinner avhengige av fedre, ektemenn og sønner. Men tross all sorg og urettferdighet, vold og fattigdom, mord og henrettelser, løfter Hosseini og hans kvinnelige hovedpersoner leseren med seg videre og nekter oss å gi opp håpet.

"Nok en kunstnerisk triumf og garantert bestselger fra denne fryktløse forfatteren."
Kirkus Review

"I tilfelle du skulle lure på om Khaled Hosseinis Tusen strålende soler er like god som Drageløperen er svaret: Nei. Den er bedre."
Washington Post

Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,144,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible