A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition…

A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Khaled Hosseini

Member:bsima
Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

Recently added bynileshr, Alisa72, Mediana, private library, Peace2, cteclibrary, harangar, Likuo
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)

English (601)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (17)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (690)
My first five star rating in awhile. It is well deserved. A wonderful, poignant story of two Afghan women living though the wretched life of Taliban like people. So sad ... yet so hopeful. Again I am reminded of how fortunate we Americans are to live in a free country. ( )
  repb | Dec 13, 2014 |
I'd recommend anyone with a heart read this book! ( )
  thebikeryogi | Dec 6, 2014 |
In Afghanistan, Mariam goes into an arranged marriage at 15 after her mother commits suicide. She slowly learns how abusive her husband is to her. Later, her husband takes a second wife, Leila, who is a 14 year old girl found after her house was bombed and her parents were killed. After a rocky start, Mariam and Leila develop a close relationship and do what's necessary to survive a violent husband amid a violent and changing Afghanistan.

This was a moving and absorbing story of two woman and their struggles throughout their lives. It was interesting that the story included the changes to the government from warlords to the Soviets to the Taliban and the impact this had on the women. There were many sad and unfair things that happened but the ending left a bit of hope which I liked. ( )
  gaylebutz | Nov 23, 2014 |
An intense read from a true storyteller (not in the sense that the author made up everything in the book - although I also cannot claim complete understanding of the history of Afghanistan beyond what I have heard about on the news so I take the author at his words). The book is about relationships, predominantly the one between Mariam and Laila, and the inevitable, intertwining paths they are sent upon, set against the turbulent backdrop of Afghanistan.

I am actually not sure if I enjoyed the book as I spent more than half of it completely frustrated by the situations Mariam and Laila inevitably find themselves in for the sole reason that they are women. Lately, there has been more exposure on issues that women face (domestic violence - the why-I-left/stayed stories, anti-feminism - which means anti-equality, by the way -, female education - Malala Yousafzai was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize just a few days ago, etc) which are especially compounded in cultures where women are regarded as inferior than men. This environment made it a perfect - or at least extremely relevant - storm to read this book published seven years ago. (Also, I only recently got up to The Sopranos episode, The Knight in White Satin Armour which somehow convinced me that the same thing was going to have to happen in the book and I could not stop getting extremely anxious because neither Mariam nor Laila have mob-boss-brothers which meant something else inevitable had to happen.)

Sometimes when books use ongoing controversial issues/settings to frame their stories , I feel like I am being manipulated into viewing the book in a good light, i.e., I cannot condemn the book without condemning the important points they are bringing up. However, I appreciated the awareness that the author is raising for these issues and I appreciated the Afghanistan that the author illustrates with his words, so rich with history and culture beyond what we unfortunately only see now on the news.

(In light of the number of times I have used variations of the word "inevitable" in this review, I can only defend it by saying the book is very well plotted. The only bit of storytelling that I was not convinced of was how quickly Zalmai seems to have taken to Tariq afterwards but the scene where Zalmai inevitably rats out Tariq's visit, unaware of its larger implications and only realising when it was too late was just so well done)

Recommendation: Read between two light-hearted books. ( )
  kitzyl | Oct 15, 2014 |
What a great story. ( )
  Gonzalo8046 | Sep 29, 2014 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible