A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition…

A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Khaled Hosseini

19,881None80 (4.28)621
Member:bsima
Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns Illustrated Edition
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

(52) 2007 (109) 2008 (100) abuse (92) Afghanistan (1,637) arranged marriage (76) book club (100) contemporary fiction (89) family (137) fiction (1,613) friendship (208) historical fiction (169) Islam (242) Kabul (92) literature (92) love (79) marriage (65) Middle East (205) novel (217) own (60) read (190) read in 2007 (53) read in 2008 (61) Roman (89) Taliban (318) to-read (237) unread (57) war (363) women (527) women's rights (71)
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)
    Small Kingdoms by Anastasia Hobbet (clamairy)
    El secreto de mi turbante by Nadia Ghulam (albavirtual)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (andress)
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (Booksloth)
    Un burka por amor/ Burka by Love: La Emotiva Historia De Una Espanola Atrapada En Afganistan (Primera Persona) (Spanish Edition) by Reyes Monforte (albavirtual)

English (588)  Dutch (28)  Spanish (16)  Swedish (8)  Danish (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (677)
I think I actually liked this more than The Kite Runner. I enjoyed reading from the women's points of view, although this being a male author one cannot help but wonder how truly accurate the narrative is. I also like how the book encompasses a broad time frame of Afghanistan's history. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
First, this usually isn't my kind of book. In fact I picked it up a bit begrudgingly because it was for book club. It sat around a week, maybe two before I actually started reading. But, but...

The lives of these two girls who became women held me in a tight fisted grip. The story flows easily while being honest, heart wrenching one moment and heart warming the next. Hosseini drew the emotions out of me with very little effort.

I found myself thinking of the women in my life. How they have shaped my growth and personality and wondered what sacrifices they've made. In the end I cried and hoped all the women in my life find their own thousand splendid suns or at least the peace of know their sacrifice meant something to someone. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Told from a woman's point of view, this stor made me by turns angry and amazed and ever glad I am an American. ( )
  obedah | Mar 26, 2014 |
Propelled by the same superb instinct for storytelling that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once an incredible chronicle of thirty years of Afghan history and a deeply moving story of family, friendship, faith, and the salvation to be found in love.

Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss and by fate. As they endure the ever escalating dangers around them-in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul-they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ultimately alter the course not just of their own lives but of the next generation. With heart-wrenching power and suspense, Hosseini shows how a woman's love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end it is love that triumphs over death and destruction.
A moving story
Of Mariam and Laila,
Of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Amidst the turmoil and chaos that ensue following the fall of the monarchy in 1973, two Afghan women are thrown together by fate.

4 2098

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible