Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (2000)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (2)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (175)  French (1)  All languages (176)
I enjoyed this, as I always love Lowry's intricate world-building and elegant writing. Lowry is someone who builds a world so thoroughly that she's thought of naming conventions, jobs, societal rules, etc., but can slip them all in so seamlessly that you feel, like the characters, that it's always been that way.

I found the characters sympathetic, and though I predicted most of the twists, I still found it significant, and am curious to see where the remaining books take the storyline. I didn't love this as much as [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver #1)|Lois Lowry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234], but that's not because this is poorly constructed or worse written. I liked this book, but probably won't be rereading it (or at least not much). ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
After reading The Giver, my daughter and I took the plunge and committed to reading the whole series. I'm not as big a fan of book series as my daughter is (why have four books that each take four hours to read when you could have one sixteen-hour book?), but so far, I'm feeling okay about this one. I like reading about the plants used for dyes, and it's always nice in an unsettling way to wonder via fiction who one's friends and who one's enemies are. I do have a feeling these books won't stick with me, but they're fun for now and less violent than The Hunger Games, which my 10yo read a few months ago. On to Messenger. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 27, 2015 |
I'm certainly hoping that there is some resolution in the third book. The books are well written and compelling, but so far, they have left you hanging at the end.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
The Giver would be a hard book to write a follow-up for, so it's not surprising that it took Lowry seven years to do so. It's also not surprising, since The Giver is such an excellent book, that the companion would fall short. I understand that the community in The Giver was dystopian, but overall it seemed to be a positive place to live. The village in Gathering Blue is dark, sad, and depressing, and those tones took over the book for me. It was hard to focus on the story because the sad mood trumped the plot. I didn't really understand the ending until I read Lowry's notes in the Reader's Guide that was thankfully at the back of my edition.

As negative as the beginning of my review may sound, I do understand how this book plays into the overall series, and I appreciate what it does to broaden the worlds and allow characters to at least become aware of each other, so that can come into play later. I also loved Matt, and was thrilled to know he was the main character in the third book. He seemed like the most real character in the book, and stood out more than Kira or even Thomas. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible