Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (2000)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (2)

children (25) children's (67) children's literature (49) disabilities (26) dystopia (222) dystopian (73) fantasy (193) fiction (333) future (38) futuristic (26) juvenile (25) juvenile fiction (19) Lois Lowry (21) novel (33) orphans (38) own (20) read (58) science fiction (236) series (64) sff (18) teen (32) The Giver (30) to-read (61) unread (24) utopia (19) weaving (39) YA (142) young adult (242) young adult fiction (33) young adult literature (20)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles) by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (135)  French (1)  All languages (136)
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger. Lois Lowry writes a story set in the distant future, where the diseased or different are exiled or killed. Kira, the main protagonist is a girl who was born with a crippled leg. She preserves her life through her skill at embroidery in which she maintains the town's coveted robe that preserves their knowledge of history. Lowry weaves a tale where you are witness to the less desirable aspects of human nature. Kira's courage through hardship and adversity shines throughout this novel, making her an extremely admirable character. This is a really great read and I would recommend it to anyone young or old. In fact, I loved this book so much as a young teenager, that my own daughter is named after the main character. ( )
  Fixmeupdolly | Apr 21, 2014 |
Another excellent dystopia from Lois Lowry. I was a litle disappointed because I thought it was going to be a continuance of The Giver, which was a cliff-hanger but the book leaves a tiny hint as to what might have happened at the end of that book. Her characters are rich and the futuristic societies logical and believeable. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 15, 2014 |
29 Mar 11: I enjoyed this book, it's a strong piece of writing in the young adult genre. I didn't see it's immediate applicability in being a part of the 'Giver series' until I started the third book. Obviously common themes run through this book and 'The Giver' - I think of it as sci-fi vs. fantasy - with 'The Giver' being sci-fi, even though both are set in the future. An easy read that's worth the time.

28 Mar 11: I think I'm avoiding the 'Jane Eyre' challenge... :) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This is next after The Giver. I hadn't read it before. I'm glad I did. Good book. Interesting look at how the future might be. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Even better than The Giver. I loved Kira. She was a strong female and was amazing at enduring adversity. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:33 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible