Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (2000)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (2)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (222)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (225)
I definitely enjoyed the ending of this one more than the ending of The Giver. great book still :) great "series". quick easy reads that still make you think- about our past, present, and future. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
While The Giver is treasure chest of moments that will make you think, Gathering Blue is predictable, underdeveloped, and a bit dull at times. I think the book would have been much better if it had been written for an older audience. The savage-like futuristic society Kira lives in isn't really the right setting for children, but I think Lowry could have made the story a lot more powerful by "wisening" the book up a bit. I also thought we needed more time at the end with Kira—one page she was going to set out with her father, the next she had decided to stay. Her reasons for staying were good, but Lowry just didn't give the ending the time or development it deserved.

I loved the characters, though; Kira, Thomas, and Mat are vivid, strong, and definitely not one-dimensional. And of course, Lowry's take on a futuristic society that has denegrated (rather than advanced like in The Giver) was fascinating. ( )
  AngelClaw | Oct 15, 2018 |
I last read Gathering Blue when I was in middle school, so as I returned to this novel, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was in for a pleasant surprise. I admire Kira's quiet strength more than I did as a kid, and I still love the world-building. I only wish the ending would have been less abrupt...I understand sequel hooks, but the story feels half-told. ( )
  ElizabethBernhardt | Sep 21, 2018 |
Definitely not as good as The Giver.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Gathering Blue - Lowry
4 stars

I’m wonder if Lowry planned a series when The Giver was published in 1993. I’m too old for the book to have been a part of my childhood, and the readers I taught were too young. But, I remember when the book became standard classroom fare. It was taught to gifted fifth and sixth graders on my campus. My son read it in eighth grade. His take on it was, “Good, but disturbing.” I think I agree with him.

Gathering Blue is disturbing in another way. In this book the distinction between the ‘have’ and ‘have nots’ is clear form the start. Kira’s life is in danger from the start. Lowry lures the reader in with a sense of relief when she is given recognition of her talent and a secure place to live. But, something is wrong. There’s a growing sense of menace. Once again, it’s a book that is ‘good, but disturbing.’ ( )
  msjudy | Jul 27, 2018 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

AR Book Level 5.0, 7 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,770,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible