Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (2000)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (2)

Recently added byChrBei, jgslibrary, RoxiePoxie4, madmatt112, MrShawnsLilLady, private library, MrBronson
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles) by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (145)  French (1)  All languages (146)
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as The Giver. If i didn't read quickly and know it was part of a quartet where I'd really enjoyed the first book, I may have not even finished it. The book didn't tie in to the first book of the series until the last page or so (hard to tell when reading on an iPhone and I finished it in the Kindle app).

I didn't care about the characters as much in this book of the series. Near the end, I started to get interested in the book. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything ties together in books 3 and 4. ( )
  KatKealy | Aug 29, 2014 |
Lois Lowry has done it again! She presents a possible society of the future, an alternative to the one present in "The Giver". Although this book is part of a series, it does not need to be read in order. Ms. Lowry describes a society that is brutal and greedy results in misery for almost all. The surprise ending is good a one. I felt as though Ms. Lowry through her story was telling the reader that each of us makes a choice of the type of life we choose to live, that we must be brave enough to go past the familiar to know of something different. ( )
  AmberEgan | Aug 19, 2014 |
I liked this one better than The Messenger. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Love, love, love. If you liked the Giver, then you must read this. As with The Giver, you are left wanting much more at the end of the story. I hear that all of these stories are connected in a later book in the series, which I can't wait to get my hands on. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
This book is the 2nd in the quartet of The Giver and was similarly well written. However, it only very vaguely hints at a connection to the fact that it's the same world of Jonas from The Giver. This book, too, ends on a cliff hanger, leaving you wondering what it is this girl feels she must do in her community now that she knows some significant truths. It is an intriguing world that Lowry is creating with unique but connected communities and ideals and just a hint of magic. I am already listening to the 3rd, The Messenger, much shorter than the first two and much more obviously connected to the characters from the first two. I am definitely wondering how Lowry plans to wrap this all up in the fourth book. ( )
  mccooln | Jun 8, 2014 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:33 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,677,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible