Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (2000)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (2)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (168)  French (1)  All languages (169)
Gathering Blue wasn't really a story. I don't even know why it's called a companion novel. There wasn't much storyline or anthing really that captivated me.

Where The Giver was intriguing and riveting from the very beginning, Gathering Blue was dull and unimaginative. While the former introduced us a futuristic and dystopian society, the latter introduced us to a stuck in the past and bland one.

All the characters were plain and bland for me. I felt as if they were all reading from a teleprompter when they were speaking. The only character that actually had a spark of personality was Matt. I would have actually enjoyed the story told from his perspective.

I didn't really connect to the main character, because she wasn't a very good main character to begin with. Kira was dull and practically lifeless. I didn't even know how old she was (and didn't really care). Since she's so detached from the story, any significant plot event that occured was just "meh". Even the supposed big "plot twist" was, for me, completely predictable and devoid of any real emotion.

This book was practically 200 pages of bland writing, 39 pages of a plot twist staring you in the face and 1 page with what's supposed to be a cliffhanger.

I'm really dissappointed in this novel, because I really believed it would live up to its predecessor's fame.

1.5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I loved this book. I loved the main character and the way that the story unfolded. For those that enjoyed The Giver, but were saddened by how open the ending was, this book has a much happier ending. I loved the way this dystopian world was created and that there were two worlds within one introduced; one where everyone is out for themselves, and one where everyone lives to make other's have the most positive lives possible. The main character, Kira, is to become the bridge between the two. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jun 15, 2015 |
Actress Katherine Borowitz reads the audiobook quietly and calmly, matching the detached tone of the story, showing emotion only when expressing Kira’s thoughts or memories of her mother, or the rough Fen dialect of Matt.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
This is the second book in the series. Kira is the name of the key character in this book. She was born with a deformed leg. She has an ability to dye threads for weaving in any color but blue. She is forced out of her village after the passing of her mother. For the weak this is certain death as they are sent to the fields for the Beasts to devour. She goes to the council for help and gets it. But not in the form she was thinking. She is offered a job working at preserving the sacred robe that tells the story of the history of the village. Kira will meet Matty and Thomas along her journey. She will learn a lot of lies that were told by all around her. ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
As others have said, this is different than its companion, The Giver. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it because I read them in order, foolishly expecting them to be more related than they are. So, I recommend to you that you do *not* reread The Giver before reading this.

In some ways this is indeed not as strong. It's more unabashedly dystopian, with only the kind of 'hope' that one finds in most any traditional post-apocalyptic story. Most of the characters are, well, not quite cardboard, but, shall we say, chipboard - not complex enough to be authentic but not worthlessly one-dimensional either. The plot moves along, the world-building is interesting, the writing style is graceful, the symbolism vivid.

One thing it does have in common with The Giver is that it is best for naive 10-12 year old children. Experienced readers will see everything coming well ahead, even the ending. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,981,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible