dismiss

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (2000)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (2)

7,200254863 (3.77)255
Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (250)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (253)
great book for the reader in your classroom to have for your classroom library. ( )
  CourtneyRay | Apr 21, 2020 |
The second book in Lois Lowry's Quartet presents another possible future for the human race. The warning is still clear: lust for power leads to evil and ruin. To keep things the same is to stagnate and suffer. The revelation of the true villain of the piece is well timed, though I wish there was more to the book beyond the ending. I disagree with Kira's ultimate decision, even though I respect it. Thomas, Jo, and Matt are wonderful and fascinating side characters. I look forward to reading the third book in the quartet. ( )
  Welfycat | Mar 3, 2020 |
Publisher blurb:
"GATHERING BLUE is a return to the mysterious but plausible future world of THE GIVER. It tells the story of Kira, orphaned, physically flawed, and left with an uncertain future until she is summoned by the Council of Guardians…
On her quest for truth that follows, Kira makes discoveries that will change her life and world forever."
My comments:
It has been years since I read The Giver but I had seen the film recently so decided to read this and the two other sequels to see how they compared. After a bit of a slow start following the disabled Kira around her village where she is a semi-outcast, we get a glimpse into a secret talent and a calling she receives to a man with blue eyes...a calling to escape her harsh world of different social castes and poverty away from the ones who have everything. This is a story though, that leaves you wanting more as it sets up the characters for the next book, Messenger. ( )
  nicsreads | Jan 20, 2020 |
Kira was born with a deformed leg. In her village, if you weren't fit to work, you were sent away to the fields. All these years, Kira was protected by her mother. When her mother died, Kira had nobody. The council had a meeting to decide her fate. She was lucky and stayed because of her skills in embroidery. She was sent to go work on the Singer's robe. There, she meets Matt and Thomas. One day, Kira hears crying. She investigates and find out that there is a little girl who will eventually take the place of the old Singer. Her name is Jo. Skipping forward to the day where Matt had disappeared. After being gone, Matt came back with a blind man in a chair wearing a blue skirt/robe. Blue was a very hard colour to make, so Kira was surprised. Eventually she learns that this man was her father who was sent to the fields, but saved by other people. Kira is curious to discover about this village where these people live. In the end, Kira stays in her village but has the help and support of the new village.
I actually thought that I wasn't going to like this book, but I did. It is an interesting book. If you put these people's way of living into our way of living, it would seem so weird. The book was a tad disturbing as well. Like the fact that the Singer was chained up and that if you weren't able bodied, you would be sent out to the fields to die. It left me thinking a lot. Overall, it was a really good book that was intriguing. I would recommend this if you want a nice book to pass your time. ( )
1 vote AGravett.ELA5 | Jan 14, 2020 |
Another intriguing book in The Giver Series. This one did not end as I had expected, but there's still an element of hope and courage. ( )
  obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

AR Book Level 5.0, 7 pts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,282,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible