Gathering blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering blue (original 2000; edition 2012)

by Lois Lowry

5,530198782 (3.77)240
Member:Luv56900
Title:Gathering blue
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, [2012].
Rating:*****

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (197)  French (1)  All languages (198)
This is the second of The Giver Quartet. I'm not sure if it is connect to the Giver. This is about Kira who has a twisted leg and after her mother dies she is brought in front of the council to decide if she should be taken to the field and cast away or get to stay. This is an interesting dystopia story where people seem to live in a village where there is the council, a group who seem to have a decent life and a part of the village who are barely getting by. I found this story sad how the little ones were corralled and almost abused and how people were more mean than nice. The twist at the end was kind of a shocker and I was surprised at the outcome. It left me wanting to know more about this village and about the villager's lives. I'm looking forward to the next book since it seems to continue the story. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I felt lukewarm toward this book because I found the society described in the previous book of this series, The Giver, more comprehendible. Several points in this book confused me. Had the Guardians planned Vandara's conflict with Kira? Were the wild animal stories used as a control? There wasn't a connection between this book and the Giver other than that they were both about dystopian societies, this one seemingly in the future after a great war (ruin). Maybe the third book will pull the stories together. It's on my TBR short list. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Read this a couple times. REALLY liked it. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
my thoughts: I liked the second in the Giver series much more than the first. I tend to not enjoy dystopian novels as a rule. They scare me. This one was a reverse of the more traditional dystopian novel as instead of creating a perfect utopia at the expense of mankind, the characters reverted to a primitive lifestyle. The characters were interesting and I'm excited to see that the next book in the series involves my favorite character from this book, Matt. I'll definitely be moving on to the next one to see what mischief he gets into. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Other than being a similar world dynamic, this book has very little to do with The Giver. I did notice, however, that the Singer is much like what The Receiver was in the other book. Which would make The Singer equal to The Giver, and Jo equal to Jonas. This one kept me a little confused as to what was truly going on behind the scenes up until the very end when Kira gets her "big giftie" from Matt. I suspected of course, but was still a little lost as to the hows and whys of it all. I'm truly looking forward to reading the next book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,464,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible