Gathering blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering blue (original 2000; edition 2012)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Luv56900
Title:Gathering blue
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, [2012].
Rating:*****

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles) by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (162)  French (1)  All languages (163)
Before Kira was born her father was taken by beasts. Now she lives alone with her twisted leg and mother. Her mother makes a living by weaving and mending clothes. She has been teaching kira, but kira has a special ''power''. She can create beautiful scenes with the threads. One day kira's mother catches ill. now motherless kira is being held for trial. The village finds her useless because of her twisted leg. At trial though she is saved by her power with the threads. She is then given a place to live. kira is then given a big task, she has to repair the singers robe. The robe tells the story of the village people. Soon the day of the singers ceremony arrives. After the ceremony Kira sees someone she never thought she would see, her father. Kira then learns the truth of her father's supposed death. Her father tells her of a village filled with people of disabilitys of all types. She soon makes the decision that soon she will travel to her fathers village and be free.

Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry, was a great book. I loved how the story flowed along. It had me captivated from beginning to end. I also loved Kira's character. She was a great strong heroine. Her twisted leg just added to the effect that she was strong enough to get through it all, even with a bad leg. The only thing bad I would have to say about it is how much information was provided. like some things went unsolved in the book. but even so that's why I gave it 4.5 RATING. ( )
  sierraF.B1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Reading for pleasure
  julieabc | Mar 8, 2015 |
This book is bullshit. After reading The Giver, I expected some answers, goddamnit. Did they survive? Or, did they freeze to death? Did our hero sled his way to another bizarre society, or did he end up in the real, normal world?

None of those questions are answered. In fact, none of the characters from the first book are even mentioned in this second book. It's fucking bullshit.

It's just a story of some stupid orphan girl, who happens to have a gift for making things. So, the powers that be take her and make her their slave girl, so she can repair their sacred quilt, or whatever.

That's pretty much it. That's the story. Nothing compelling about it at all. Just a bullshit pagan story. I don't fucking care one bit. I want answers, goddamnit!

Yes, it was a well-written story. But no, it was not worth reading. If you're going to read this series, just skip this one. It doesn't change a fucking thing. You're not going to miss anything at all.

The next two books in this series are fascinating, but this one just doesn't belong. It's completely out of place, and I wish I could strike it out of existence. It's that bad. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
SPOILERS: Some small spoilers, nothing big. If you have not read THE GIVER this review will not make any sense to you.

The world Ms. Lowry had created, this world that Kira inhabits is cruel and savage. It discards the physically flawed and weak. At first you may think it has no connection to the world of the giver. As you read it you discover the similarities. I finished this book not knowing the connection between the life Kira lives and the world created in The Giver. But I was intrigued and wanted to find out. I confess I read some ‘spoilers’, so I knew that in the later books a connection is made.

Since I don’t want to give anything away, let me just say that if you enjoyed The Giver you will most likely enjoy this book. It is not a sequel, exactly but it is connected. As in the Giver, there is a Keeper of Memories, there is a Singer here, who once a year recites the history of the land; there are Guardians here, they maintain as much control over the lives here as the Guardians in the Giver. If you want to know how, you must read the book.
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Meh. That's what comes to mind when I think of Gathering Blue. I knew it was a companion novel- not a sequel- to The Giver, but even so I was disappointed. The Giver was stunning, Gathering Blue was underwhelming at best. I'm aware that The Messenger ties things up (or so I've heard) but this in between book is just boring. Parts were good and there was beauty to it, but I wasn't invested until the final 4 pages. Good for the next book, not so good for this one. Gathering Blue just left me feeling blah. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:33 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,147,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible