Gathering blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering blue (original 2000; edition 2012)

by Lois Lowry

5,416196801 (3.76)239
Member:Luv56900
Title:Gathering blue
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, [2012].
Rating:*****

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (194)  French (1)  All languages (195)
Other than being a similar world dynamic, this book has very little to do with The Giver. I did notice, however, that the Singer is much like what The Receiver was in the other book. Which would make The Singer equal to The Giver, and Jo equal to Jonas. This one kept me a little confused as to what was truly going on behind the scenes up until the very end when Kira gets her "big giftie" from Matt. I suspected of course, but was still a little lost as to the hows and whys of it all. I'm truly looking forward to reading the next book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Kira, an imperfect girl, lives in a village with her mother. Her father was killed by beast while hunting for food in the field.The only person who doesn't shun her because of her leg is a young tyke, small child, named Matt and his dog Branchie. When her mother dies of a sickness, Kira is confronted by women in her village about her having to give up her and her mother's cott, or living space. When Kira fights back, a cruel woman named Vandara decides to tell the council to force Kira out of her cott and to the field where she is to be left for the beasts. When she is taken for trial Kira is assigned a defender who is named Jamison. He admits that her flaws are a nuisance, but he brings to point that her threading skills are matched by no one, not even her mother Katrina. At the end of the trial it is decided that Kira will come to live in the Tower of the Council Edifice to become the threader of the Singer's robe, and her cott will be given to the women of the village. Upon entering the tower, Kira meets a boy who lives down the hall from her room. His name is Thomas, who is about Kira's age, works as the carver of the Singer's staff and is an orphan just like her. Now to explain, the Singer is a person who is taught the songs of the ancient ancestors which tells stories. The Singer's robe has pictures that describe the stories threaded into its fabric. And every year when the Singer sings their songs, they are depicting the scene with their robe and holding the Singer's staff. When having to start to fix the robe, Kira realizes she doesn't know how to dye the threads. So, Kira and Matt are sent to see Annabella, a master of dyeing threads. She shows Kira and Matt how to dye threads and what plants make what color dyes. Though half-way through her training, Kira is told by Matt that Annabella was taken to the field by draggers to be left to the beasts, with a no signs of life at all. When she returns to the Tower, Kira and Thomas discovers that a tyke has been chosen to be the new Singer. When they go done to see her, Thomas and Kira find the tyke, Jo, afraid and alone. She keeps asking about her mother, apparently unaware that her mother is dead. After comforting her, Kira finds out that Matt ran into the field with Branchie, claiming that he would return with blue dye for Kira's threads. At the ceremony for the new Singer, Kira finds Matt sneaking around waiting to talk to her. When she finally is able to talk to him, Matt shows her the blue dye that he got from a blind man. When the blind man meets Kira, he tells her that he is Christopher, her father and was not killed by a beast but a failed attempt by Jamison. This attack cost Christopher his eye sight. He than tells Kira that he was rescued by other people who were left in the fields. They had made a village and all helped each other. When it is time for him to depart, Matt decides that he and Branchie will go with him to live in that village. As they leave Kira promises to see them again.
I loved this book because it is the story of a young girl how overcome her disability and the cruel treatment of other people and became an important person in her village. Besides, there aren't many books with a female protagonist. Although, the book ended with an unsatisfying closer in my opinion. Even so, this is probably one of the best books I've read all year. I hope that Lois Lowry has some more books for me to read. ( )
  TessW.b1 | Mar 30, 2016 |
Gathering Blue is the tale of a young girl named Kira whose life has been turned upside down. She has become an orphan, but her society has showered her with a new lifestyle and important role. It may not be as it seems, though; her understanding of her life's new situation is the main portion of the book. This book is in the series with The Giver. I much prefer it over this particular book. The title is very misleading, and the ending is very sudden and disappointing. It isn't a bad read, but I would not recommend teaching it in a classroom personally. ( )
1 vote CaseyJane | Mar 21, 2016 |
First I was disappointed when I learned the main character of book 1 The Giver would not be in this book but after a few days I decided to give this book a try. So glad i did cause I did enjoy it. A very different post apocalyptic world than the one we were shown in The Giver.This world is worse then the world we know but I did find it interesting and I liked the characters, especially Matt so I was delighted to learn that Matt is in book 3 which I have just started now. I really like the way Lois Lowry writes. She has a way that really draws me in. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
After completing the book I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting there to be much bigger risks going on. Overall I enjoyed the characters and the plot, but I wish it had a little more intense moments. From the name of the title I personally was expecting Kira, the main character, to go on the expedition to gather the color blue. However, The actual part of gathering blue was only a couple pages long, and Kira was not involved with the expedition. ( )
1 vote ker2015 | Mar 9, 2016 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible