Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Lois Lowry

4,889160943 ()232
Member:aimless22
Title:Gathering Blue
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2000), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 215 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 2, magical, Kira, Jamison, Matty

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles) by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (159)  French (1)  All languages (160)
SPOILERS: Some small spoilers, nothing big. If you have not read THE GIVER this review will not make any sense to you.

The world Ms. Lowry had created, this world that Kira inhabits is cruel and savage. It discards the physically flawed and weak. At first you may think it has no connection to the world of the giver. As you read it you discover the similarities. I finished this book not knowing the connection between the life Kira lives and the world created in The Giver. But I was intrigued and wanted to find out. I confess I read some ‘spoilers’, so I knew that in the later books a connection is made.

Since I don’t want to give anything away, let me just say that if you enjoyed The Giver you will most likely enjoy this book. It is not a sequel, exactly but it is connected. As in the Giver, there is a Keeper of Memories, there is a Singer here, who once a year recites the history of the land; there are Guardians here, they maintain as much control over the lives here as the Guardians in the Giver. If you want to know how, you must read the book.
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Meh. That's what comes to mind when I think of Gathering Blue. I knew it was a companion novel- not a sequel- to The Giver, but even so I was disappointed. The Giver was stunning, Gathering Blue was underwhelming at best. I'm aware that The Messenger ties things up (or so I've heard) but this in between book is just boring. Parts were good and there was beauty to it, but I wasn't invested until the final 4 pages. Good for the next book, not so good for this one. Gathering Blue just left me feeling blah. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
Gathering Blue is the second novel in the Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry.

Plot:
Kira was born with a deformed leg which usually means instant exclusion from the community and death. But her mother fought for her and was able to raise her in the community and teach her her trade – sawing and embroidery, for which Kira shows a special aptitude. But now her mother is dead and Kira faces a death sentence again – unless she can convince the Council that she can contribute and that there is a reason for her to stay.

I think I read Gathering Blue in a single day, practically in one sitting while waiting for a doctor’s appointment. That was possible not only because the book is rather short, but mostly because I was unable to put it down. I was entirely engrossed with Kira and her world. Fantastic.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2014/09/22/gathering-blue-lois-lowry/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jan 26, 2015 |
Kira is still just a girl when her mother dies. Her father died before she was born. Kira was born with a disfigured leg and in this society, usually that means the baby would be put out to the “Field” to die. Her mother fought for her, though, and she has grown up strong, and works well with her hands. She weaves as her mother did. After her mother's death, one of the villagers petitions for her to be taken to the Field, as she should have been when she was born, but she has a protector in one of the Guardians, so he takes her under his wing...

It was ok. It was cute. I didn't like it nearly as much as the first book in the series, The Giver. I will continue on with the third book in the series, anyway. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 20, 2015 |
This short novel, a "companion" to The Giver tells the story of Kira, a young girl living in an unspecified future who has a deformed leg, and dead parents, and is therefore considered useless and unfit to live in the village, a cruel and savage place. She is saved from death in the Field by the Council of Guardians, who proclaim her to be the next Robe-threader; the person who weaves the large and extremely detailed robe that depicts the entire history of the world. Each year, the Singer wears this robe and sings the hours-long history to the village.

But of course, things are not always what they seem, and Kira, with her friends Thomas (the Carver who carves the Singer's staff) and Matt, a little ruffian boy from the run-down Fen, begins to uncover the truth.

This story is quiet, and I mean that in a good way. There is no fast-paced action, and it is very introspective. Lowry does not spoon-feed her readers the answers; they have to fill in the blanks for themselves, which I really enjoy. While there is a dramatic reveal at the end, it does not lead to a "dramatic" conclusion. Instead, Kira, and the readers, are left with hope - a little scrap of blue. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Jan 20, 2015 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:33 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,685,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible