Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Lois Lowry

5,947208704 (3.77)243
Member:aimless22
Title:Gathering Blue
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2000), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 215 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:fiction, young adult, futuristic, book 2, magical, Kira, Jamison, Matty

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

Recently added byMommaTracey, Rena37, private library, PVlibrary, fjii86, jnhk, PegD, MarinMWay, tesla1026, kendall.jones
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (205)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (208)
Summary:
Crippled, and now orphaned, Kira was faced with the hatred of the villagers that her mother had protected her from, until the Guardians decided that her gift of weaving was worth saving, and she began desiring the plant that would help her make blue thread. Under their protection, and with her new job, she meets other children that have been taken under the guardian's wing due to their gifts. Kira begins noticing that things weren't right, and that the beloved Singer was even in chains, and maybe she was even a prisoner to her new job. Her small friend Matt returns from being missing one day with a man in a blue shirt, and the man turns out to be her father, who had been cast out to a small village that was for the old and wounded. Kira decided to stay because she wanted to help improve the society in which she lived in.

Personal Thoughts:
I simply had to read it once more, as it was amazing the first time. This book was on my required reading list in 7th grade while I had still lived in Nevada. It was an amazing outlook on a dystopian society.

Classroom extension:
1. Journal about what the students think the world will be like in the far future. Would things build, or collapse?
2. Draw an image of your future. Would you have a family? What would your house look like? Or maybe even your car. ( )
  kendall.jones | Jul 16, 2017 |
Why did I read this? I LOVED "The Giver." When I discovered there were sequels I was incredibly excited. I actually didn't know that the "sequels" were actually companion novels until I started reading.

Thoughts: Maybe I would have enjoyed this novel more if "The Giver" wasn't so fresh in my mind. Compared with that novel this novel falls incredibly flat. It's about a totally different society with some dirty little secrets. A society that feels a little prehistoric. Honestly the novel seemed to be lacking the tension and buildup that made "The Giver" great. Halfway through the book I started to figure out what was going on and found myself incredibly disappointed when I discovered I was right. It's just too simplistic and I'm not sure what else to say except that I was disappointed by this novel. The only thing keeping it at a 3/5 instead of a 2 is the fact that I think if it hadn't been connected to "The Giver" I may have liked it more.

Advisory: This is not a sequel. Do your best to try to forget that "The Giver" even exists otherwise you will probably be really disappointed. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
This is not really a sequel in the way I was expecting, but it still creates a vision of a frightening world - a world where we mock the ones in pain and abandon those who are hurt. I can relate. I think the further two books in this quartet will tie up the loose ends from the first book and bring all the characters together. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
I liked this one better than The Giver. It has more emotional depth without being as dark. I think it would also speak more clearly to children, and the child in all of us. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
In this second book of The Giver series, we fall in love with a teenage orphan girl who finds her gifting is more powerful and meaningful than she ever imagined. Kira, although crippled with one non-functioning leg, fights for her right to life. This is an excellent book to talk about disabilities alongside gifting. Everyone has something in which they can contribute, everyone has value. Kindness is a key word to the message of this book, a great follow up to The Giver. ( )
  AnnaBailey | Mar 9, 2017 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

AR Book Level 5.0, 7 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,139,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible