Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (original 2000; edition 2012)

by Lois Lowry

4,494None1,075 (3.78)207
Member:awoodham93
Title:Gathering Blue
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: Reissue, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:Novel, Fiction, Inspiring

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

children (25) children's (67) children's literature (49) disabilities (26) dystopia (222) dystopian (73) fantasy (193) fiction (333) future (38) futuristic (26) juvenile (25) juvenile fiction (19) Lois Lowry (21) novel (33) orphans (38) own (20) read (58) science fiction (236) series (64) sff (18) teen (32) The Giver (30) to-read (61) unread (24) utopia (19) weaving (39) YA (142) young adult (242) young adult fiction (33) young adult literature (20)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles) by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (133)  French (1)  All languages (134)
29 Mar 11: I enjoyed this book, it's a strong piece of writing in the young adult genre. I didn't see it's immediate applicability in being a part of the 'Giver series' until I started the third book. Obviously common themes run through this book and 'The Giver' - I think of it as sci-fi vs. fantasy - with 'The Giver' being sci-fi, even though both are set in the future. An easy read that's worth the time.

28 Mar 11: I think I'm avoiding the 'Jane Eyre' challenge... :) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This is next after The Giver. I hadn't read it before. I'm glad I did. Good book. Interesting look at how the future might be. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Even better than The Giver. I loved Kira. She was a strong female and was amazing at enduring adversity. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
I knew that this book was a favorite of someone I admire, so I was looking forward to reading it. I even bought and reread [The Giver], because I knew that Gathering Blue was considered a sequel of sorts. As much as I loved The Giver, I was very ambivalent about this one. First it isn't a sequel at all, but simply a second book set in a different dystopia that may at the very end contain a glimpse of a character from the first. Second, the plot line was not nearly as compelling for me.

The story begins with Kira, a young woman born with a twisted leg, sitting beside the body of her dead mother. She knows that her survival-of-the-fittest society will never let her stay, if they think she cannot provide for herself and carry her own weight. When a malevolent old woman takes her before the Council of Guardians, Kira thinks she will be exiled. But instead she is given a special task, which takes advantage of her mystical abilities to embroider cloth. New friends and old help her discover the truth of her own powers and the true motives behind the Council's decisions.

For me, this young adult book was about plot, not the larger issues that made The Giver so interesting. I'm not compelled to seek out the other two books in the quartet, although if they fell in my lap, I would read them to see if the author is able to recapture the themes of the first. ( )
  labfs39 | Dec 7, 2013 |
This is not a sequel to "The Giver." What they have in common is that it is a story that takes place many years in the future...technology seems lost. People work as weavers, farmers, butchers, and the men go on hunts to find food for their families. Girls are not allowed to learn to read and anyone with a birth defect or serious illness are brought to The Field to die without care or comfort. It's a brutal, unforgiving society. Kira, given a reprieve at birth after being born with a deformed leg, is taken under the care of the Council of Guardians after her mother dies unexpectedly. She's given a nice place to live and good food to eat. In return the Guardians expect her to repair an elaborate robe worn by a singer who sings the history of their world once a year. Kira learns that things aren't always what they appear to be and she has some major decisions to make once the truth is revealed. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:33 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible