Outcast of Redwall: Redwall, Book 5 by Brian…

Outcast of Redwall: Redwall, Book 5 (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Brian Jacques (Author)

Member:LexieS17
Title:Outcast of Redwall: Redwall, Book 5
Authors:Brian Jacques (Author)
Info:Red Fox (2007), 368 pages
Collections:Finished, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:anthropomorphic fantasy, young adult fantasy, allegorical fantasy, magic fantasy, young adult epic fantasy

The Outcast of Redwall by Brian Jacques (1996)

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know that this book is racist...nostalgia wins the culture wars again!

I read this one over and over. More than any of the other Redwall books, which makes sense I suppose since this one was my first. I distinctly remember being bored one day in 5th grade and at a loss of what to read next. I had read most, if not all, of the Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Boxcar Children, Little House, etc. series along with a great deal of Nancy Drew and Three Investigators and numerous other one-offs, DCF award contenders and other kiddie series. Fantasy was not a genre that I was familiar with at all.

I had read 'The Wizard of Oz' very early on and my dad had been pressuring me to read The Hobbit for years but...not yet Dad. Anyway, 5th grade, I was 10 and it was lunch period. A friend of mine was cleaning out his desk and this book came out with a white-out mustache and goatee combo painted on the ferret's face. I asked him what the book was about and he shrugged. It was OK, talking animals and an adventure.

I asked if I could see it, I had been about to open a store-brand pop tart as I heard out his sketch of the plot. My friend got a crafty look in his eyes and he said he'd trade it to me for the pop-tart.

It was a no-brainer. Cold, powdery pop-tart or new book? I was several chapters in by the time lunch ended.

The rest was personal history I guess. From this book I turned to the rest of the series and I followed it right up until the end of middle school, when Jacques' pattern for these books became too obvious for me. But what great adventures and stories these are! At my peak of fascination with these books I could mentally navigate Redwall Abbey itself, knew the traditions of Salamandastron, the fine points of the many historical figures and periods and the traits and characters of the main races be they vole, mouse, hare or badger. The otters were my particular favorites.

This book launched me into the complicated but ultimately rewarding world of Fantasy. Pop-tart well spent.

Redwall

Next: 'The Pearls of Lutra'

Previous: 'The Bellmaker' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
The first time I read this book I had some trouble finishing it. At the time, I'd been reading Redwall novels almost nonstop, and the stories were starting to all be very similar to me.

However, several years have since gone by, and when I picked this book up again I eagerly devoured its contents. Perhaps not the best book in the series, but certainly a fine offering. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Like all the Redwall books - on its own, it's a good story with a little depth. Sunflash the Mace, a badger, and his friend the hawk Skarlath, versus the ferret Swartt Sixclaw; Sunflash comes to Salamandastron and becomes the new Badger Lord. Side story that interacts with the main one - Veil Sixclaw growing up in Redwall. Plus Sunflash is Bella's son, and they meet at the end (timeline - Bella knew Martin, when she was younger). Species is destiny, pretty much, though Veil does manage to transcend a little bit. Funny bits, foodie bits, mildly gory bits, a pleasant read but not much more. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 11, 2017 |
Although my copy was missing pages; I went ahead and finished the book. Another good story by Brian Jacques, although not nearly as good as "Redwall" or "Martin the Warrior" ( )
  LisaDillmanWright | Oct 14, 2016 |
One of my all time favorite series! I love each and every one! A great book for young adults, and adults alike! I'm in college, and still read these, and enjoy them each! Good for animal lovers, adventures, and those who just like a good tale of good over evil! ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |

Brian Jacquesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curless, AllanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"When blood of weak meets blood of strong,
Reap the whirlwind you have sown,
Beware the lightning summer mark,
Of one whom you have known.
To the Lord who scorns all pity,
Open wide Dark Forest gate,
There a little flower awaits,
One day to seal your fate."
- Nightshade the Seer
It was a warm old autumn afternoon of russet and gold, a time for legends and stories of seasons long gone.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441004164, Mass Market Paperback)

When ferret Swartt Sixclaw and his arch enemy Sunflash the Mace swear a pledge of death upon each other, a young creature is cruelly banished from the safety of Redwall. As he grows, he seeks revenge on the people of Redwall and finds himself embroiled in a hostile battle with far-reaching consequences.

An epic tale of Redwall from the pen of master storyteller Brian Jacques, Outcast of Redwall is a kaleidoscope of color, range, and emotions that culminates in a bitter contest between good and evil. None of the passion of the earlier Redwall titles is lost, as some of the most cherished landscapes and best-loved characters from previous books are revisited, with a wisdom and clarity that has developed and endured.

On a basic level, this is a marvelous fantasy adventure story. Look deeper and you will find that Outcast of Redwall, along with the other titles in the series, has a divine, enduring quality that ranks it among he best in children's literature. --Susan Harrison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:43 -0400)

The destinies of the badger lord dubbed Sunflash and his mortal enemy, the ferret warlord Swartt Sixclaw, are entwined with those of many creatures, particularly the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,528,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible