So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane

So You Want to be a Wizard (1983)

by Diane Duane

Series: Young Wizards (1), Wizardry [Diane Duane] (1)

2,718593,244 (3.9)2 / 174
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (FFortuna)
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (MyriadBooks)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Stray: Touchstone (Part 1) by Andrea K. Höst (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The particular blend of science fiction, fantasy, and modern day life, the personal and the epic, feels similar in both of these series and universes to me.
    Briar’s Book by Tamora Pierce (Morteana)
    The Nightmare Game by Gillian Cross (bookel)
    Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey (electronicmemory)
    Seven-Day Magic by Edward Eager (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Kids discover very interesting books in the library

I love this book, and I love the series that it's from. ( )
  SacredTower | Nov 9, 2018 |
If this book was at all interesting when it came out, it isn't in comparison with what's been available for a long time now. Nothing fun or even interesting in navigating a all the hardware is out to get you Manhattan by the 12 & 14 year old protagonists. ( )
  quondame | Jul 30, 2018 |
Read on the recommendation of Leah Libresco.

I can understand the attraction -- it's an appealing YA adventure, with memorable imagery (the revolt of the statues and trees of Manhattan, the ferocity of the feral Lotus Esprit), and a lovely ethos of mercy and sacrifice. Something in it -- maybe the characterizations, maybe the prose, maybe the occasional 'on the nose' nature of the exposition -- made it less compelling to me. Also, the stakes get very high, very fast. In my view the Adversary should be kept in reserve, and work through catspaws against mere mortals...

But I'd happily have my boys read it... ( )
  ben_a | Oct 9, 2017 |
A library book on wizardry happens to also be a portal to another dimension, where Nita and Kit begin their training in all things magic. Available in book and eBook format.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 29, 2017 |
Oh boy what a wonderful, rich, refreshing read! I'm sad I didn't encounter this book as a kid--I really think it would have blown me away. As it was, I was sucked into the world almost immediately, and really enjoyed spending time in it- the magic was just this like delightful thing that wraps you up and really makes you feel like comfortable or uncomfortable, depending on what is happening. And the way that Duane makes tone happen is a really delightful part of this book--like I said, I was so sucked in and so delighted by the world and the characters, and I'm looking forward to reading more in this series! ( )
  aijmiller | Jul 25, 2017 |

Diane Duaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bowers, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Feberwee, EricaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPheeters, NealCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen,CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By necessity every book must have at least one flaw; a misprint, a missing page, one imperfection.... the Rabbis... point out that even in the holiest of books, the scroll resting inside the Ark, the Name of Names is inscribed in code so that no one might say it out loud, and chance to pronounce properly the Word that once divided the waters from the waters and the day from the night.... As it is, some books, nearly perfect, are known to become transparent when opened under the influence of the proper constellation, when the full moon rests in place.  Then it is not uncommon for a man to become lost in a single letter, or to hear a voice rise up from the silent page; and then only one imperfect letter, one missing page, can bring him back to the land where a book, once opened, may still be closed, can permit him to pull up the covers around his head and smile once before he falls asleep.
Midrashim, by Howard Schwartz
I have been a word in a book.
—"The Song of Taliesin" in The Black Book of Caemarthen
For Sam's friend
"Part of the problem," Nita thought as she tore desperately down Rose Avenue, "is that I can't keep my mouth shut."
So You Want to Be a Wizard (20th): Twentieth-Anniversary Edition has an additional short story, Uptown Local. Please do not combine with the unmarked editions.

So You Want to Be a Wizard: New Millennium Edition is a revised text so that current tech is not too different to that in later books.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152049401, Paperback)

Ages 10 & up. In the spirit of Madeleine L'Engle's classic A Wrinkle in Time, this is a fascinating and powerfully involving story about two lonely kids who are inadvertently caught up in the never-ending battle between good and evil. The problems of everyday adolescent life and the mysteries of magic are perfectly blended, along with plenty of humor and suspense. In a starred review, School Library Journal wrote, "well-structured and believable... this fantasy should have wide appeal." Horn Book wrote, "a splendid, unusual fantasy... an outstanding, original work."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Nita, tormented by a gang of bullies because she won't fight back, finds the help she needs in a library book on wizardry which guides her into another dimension.

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,915,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible