Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. by Stephen King

Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. (original 1981; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:glglgl
Title:Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller.
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Bergisch Gladbach : Bastei-Verlag Lübbe, (1986), Taschenbuch

Cujo by Stephen King (1981)

The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also set in Castle Rock.

English (85)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (95)
I love the way King wrote this dreadful, terror-filled tale about a huge Saint Bernard who falls host to the "Legion", and begins a reign of horror on his humans, etc.

The plot is solid, and the story, quite versatile. Cujo is a cult horror classic that readers will find hard to put down. And I strongly recommend reading it if you absolutely love fast-paced, page-turning horror—as only the Master of Horror (King) can deliver it. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
I made the mistake of listening to Cujo in an audiobook format.
It was supposed to entertain me while working, but I found myself staring at the screen listing for hours and doing nothing.

It's a terrifying book because it really could happen. My dog phobia didn't help either. I crossed the street every time I saw a dog coming my way last summer.

At the same time, it's a bit long and filled with unnecessary stuffing. ( )
  Dohakoma | Apr 7, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this. (No surprise there) I found the story very interesting. I have no problem with unhappy endings, but this ending was just completely depressing. Nearly ruined the book for me. But I guess any book that can upset me like that must be great. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Mar 18, 2017 |
I first read this when I was 13, and I think it was even more terrifying 21 years later. Totally gripping with a slow-burning first 100 pages or so to help you really root for the characters. Considering King wrote this when he was in the middle of his drugs/drink problem, it's really rather good (and proves what a master he is at writing damn good stories). ( )
  mooingzelda | Mar 9, 2017 |
I'm not sure why I never read this as a teenager when I was devouring all available Stephen King novels, I guess it never appealed as much as his others. I don't think it's one of his best, and I'm still a bit confused as to whether it's meant to be a bit supernatural, or whether it really is just a tale of a dog getting rabies and a whole lot of unlucky coincidences. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Jan 27, 2017 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along...

—W.H. AUDEN, "Musée des Beaux Arts"
Old Blue died and he died so hard
He shook the ground in my back yard.
I dug his grave with a silver spade
And I lowered him down with a golden chain.
Every link you know I did call his name,
I called, "Here, Blue, you good dog, you."

—FOLK SONG
"Nope, nothing wrong here."
—THE SHARP CEREAL PROFESSOR
This book is for my brother, David, who held my hand crossing West Broad Street, and who taught me how to make skyhooks out of old coathangers. The trick was so damned good I just never stopped.

I love you, David.

"Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine."

Cujo used to be a big friendly dog, lovable and loyal to his trinity (THE MAN, THE WOMAN, and THE BOY) and everyone around him, and always did his best to not be a BAD DOG. But that all ends on the day this nearly two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard makes the mistake of chasing a rabbit into a hidden underground cave, setting off a tragic chain of events. Now Cujo is no longer himself as he is slowly overcome by a growing sickness, one that consumes his mind even as his once affable thoughts turn uncontrollably and inexorably to hatred and murder. Cujo is about to become the center of a horrifying vortex that will inescapably draw in everyone around him—a relentless reign of terror, fury, and madness from which no one in Castle Rock will truly be safe....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451161351, Mass Market Paperback)

Cujo is so well-paced and scary that people tend to read it quickly, so they mostly remember the scene of the mother and son trapped in the hot Pinto and threatened by the rabid Cujo, forgetting the multifaceted story in which that scene is embedded. This is definitely a novel that rewards re-reading. When you read it again, you can pay more attention to the theme of country folk vs. city folk; the parallel marriage conflicts of the Cambers vs. the Trentons; the poignancy of the amiable St. Bernard (yes, the breed choice is just right) infected by a brain-destroying virus that makes it into a monster; and the way the "daylight burial" of the failed ad campaign is reflected in the sunlit Pinto that becomes a coffin. And how significant it is that this horror tale is not supernatural: it's as real as junk food, a failing marriage, a broken-down car, or a fatal virus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:22 -0400)

Cujo, a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, becomes infected with rabies and kills four people in Maine.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,415,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible