Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. by Stephen King

Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. (original 1981; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Title:Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller.
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Bergisch Gladbach : Bastei-Verlag Lübbe, (1986), Taschenbuch

Cujo by Stephen King (1981)

The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also set in Castle Rock.

English (66)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (74)
Can't believe I read this thing... ( )
  clarkland | Oct 29, 2015 |
If you live in a country where they drive on the left it important to remember that in America the cars are left hand drive. The set piece of the novel takes place in a car and I imagined it back to front and then couldn't correct it in my mind's eye. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 20, 2015 |
Cujo - 200 pounds and leaping at your jugular ! Yikes! I liked the way this book was connected to the Dead Zone! And I liked the parts that were from the dog's point of view! I felt so bad for Vic, poor guy. Overall, a decent summer read! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 27, 2015 |
a little less than 3.5 on the whole, with the last quarter or so of the book bringing the rating up. he sets the scene well; lots of details that seemed peripheral ended up being crucial to things working out just the way they did. and the last part of the book really moves; i kept finding myself hoping that it would turn out differently this time, that circumstances would align differently to save everyone. but it's a better book because stephen king is brave enough to do the realistic thing in his books, and kill main characters if the story supports it.

he writes all of the characters so well, even when they aren't as full or complete as i'm used to in his other books. the men, the women, the children, even the dog. they all feel true and real and right. i'm always impressed by his characterization and this time i felt he didn't give us nearly as much of that, but it still he gets these characters right, even without making them entirely rounded out.

my only real complaint about this book is that for some reason he incorporates a "monster in the closet" theme that is real - it's not just the kid who is afraid and senses and even smells the monster. the parents do, too, and see things move around in there. the story without the "horror" of the supernatural (or the boogyman or whatever you'd call something that opens closet doors from the inside and has glowing eyes) is perfectly scary because it's something that could absolutely happen. it added to the story, yes, but i don't think it was needed, and more importantly, i think that what it added - the mindset of vic and donna - could have been gotten at in a different way, keeping everything rooted 100% in reality. and that would have been a stronger book.

still, well paced and enjoyable. ( )
1 vote elisa.saphier | Mar 21, 2015 |
Spoiler alert -- If you are looking for a strong supernatural component, this is not the book for you. While King hints at a malevolent spirit driving the killing, there is nothing in this book that cannot be explained by science.
While that may seem to imply a negative rating, this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. From a literature standpoint, this is an excellent example of plot and character development. The developing tension between the characters is built methodically and believably. The most impressive is King's ability to personify the dog's declining mental status. Through King's deft storytelling, Cujo became a sympathetic character not the face of evil. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Mar 18, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along...

—W.H. AUDEN, "Musée des Beaux Arts"
Old Blue died and he died so hard
He shook the ground in my back yard.
I dug his grave with a silver spade
And I lowered him down with a golden chain.
Every link you know I did call his name,
I called, "Here, Blue, you good dog, you."

"Nope, nothing wrong here."
This book is for my brother, David, who held my hand crossing West Broad Street, and who taught me how to make skyhooks out of old coathangers. The trick was so damned good I just never stopped.

I love you, David.
Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine.

Cujo, a huge St Bernard, is bitten by a rabid bat and changes from a lovable pet into a ferocious man-eating monster. He slaughters his garage-owning master and, as madness eats at his brain, focuses his deranged attention on Donna Trenton and her five-year-old son, who are trapped in their car.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451161351, Mass Market Paperback)

Cujo is so well-paced and scary that people tend to read it quickly, so they mostly remember the scene of the mother and son trapped in the hot Pinto and threatened by the rabid Cujo, forgetting the multifaceted story in which that scene is embedded. This is definitely a novel that rewards re-reading. When you read it again, you can pay more attention to the theme of country folk vs. city folk; the parallel marriage conflicts of the Cambers vs. the Trentons; the poignancy of the amiable St. Bernard (yes, the breed choice is just right) infected by a brain-destroying virus that makes it into a monster; and the way the "daylight burial" of the failed ad campaign is reflected in the sunlit Pinto that becomes a coffin. And how significant it is that this horror tale is not supernatural: it's as real as junk food, a failing marriage, a broken-down car, or a fatal virus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:22 -0400)

Cujo, a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, becomes infected with rabies and kills four people in Maine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,834,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible