Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. by Stephen King

Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. (original 1981; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:glglgl
Title:Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller.
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Bergisch Gladbach : Bastei-Verlag Lübbe, (1986), Taschenbuch

Cujo by Stephen King (1981)

The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also set in Castle Rock.

English (73)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Finally got through this book. It was a very good read. I did enjoy the book. Stephen King is a master at understanding human nature.

As most may know, Cujo is a story about a rather large St. Bernard that goes through a series of rabid events. It is also a story of all the people that come in and out of Cujo's life after he was bitten with the rabies. This was the first time I ever read the book, I only knew the story from the movie adaptation of this book.

It is interesting to see the turn of events happen to all these people in the circumstances where they meet the dog and each other. The story itself is quite boring if one were to look at it from an external point of view. Some mundane things and some not so mundane things happen. On the mundane are things like Vic and Roger's exploits with AD-Worx and how they are trying to save the company by saving thier largest account, Sharp Cereal Corporation. Charity's abusive relationship with her husband Joe Camber and what she worries about with her son's relationship. Some of the not so mundane would be Donna Trenton (Vic's wife) tumultuous relationship with the vagabond poet/tennis player, Steve Kemp. Even Steve Kemp's adolescent attitude towards getting dumped was interesting to read. (Are there really 21 year old people that behave with that type of petty jealousy?) And of course, Tad's (Donna's and Vic's son) nightly horror ritual with the monster in his closet and his Dad's "Monster Words" that help keep the monster at bay.

Cujo's fate was sealed the minute he decided to chase that rabbit down the hole. Afterwards, it just become a rabid experience for the dog throughout the rest of the book.

What I found facinating about the book is how Stephen King has the ability to put himself in Donna Trenton's position when she took her car to get it repaired at Joe Camber's place. Stephen King gave wonderful first person descriptions of just about all the characters in this story. Even some of the minor charaters like the mailman and the town sherriff were brilliantly described. This is what makes the story. He is able to write about the characters in the first person and still tie all the circumstantial experiences that led to the end of the story.

By the time she (Donna Trenton) got there, Cujo just took his second victim -- Joe Camber himself. Joe's family, Charity and Brett, took an extended trip to visit Charity's sister in Connecticut. Donna's husband Vic was with Roger in Boston working to save Ad-Worx. And Donna was all alone at the end of a Dead end road in rural Maine, wanting to get her car repaired, but was being held hostage by a rabid 200 lbs. St. Bernard. The way Stephen King gets inside Donna's mind as she thinks things through is amazing. He also gets into the dying Tad's mind as well and describes the horror from the small boy's point of view. Oh, did I forget to mention that there was a heat wave in the middle of summer here in Maine? 3 Days, little or no food. Nothing to drink. Inside a very hot, broken down Pinto. One can die of the heat inside the car, or step outside for a momentary breeze -- before Cujo tears your throat out! I'd say that has the makings for one of those days where your only choices ended up being a no-win situation.

The suspense was great! The psychology was great. Stephen King's writing proved to me that reading this book was way better than the movie. As a matter of fact, half the movie should have been about what people were thinking and it wasn't. The movie did not do the book justice. I even shed a tear at the end of the story as Mr. King wrapped everything up. It was a sad story at the end, with Stephen King giving the reader a glimmer of hope for the future of the two main characters, Vic and Donna Trenton. I highly recommend this read. I would rate it PG-17 in today's world. It is intriguing. It is scary at points. But most of all, it is a human nature story.

Flyinfox ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
Not my fav SK story.... ( )
  kosana | Jan 21, 2016 |
Not my fav SK story.... ( )
  kosana | Jan 21, 2016 |
Terrifying story in that I don't know how I would handle that situation. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Cujo is a St. Bernard belonging to the Camber family. The Trenton family uses Joe Cambers auto shop because it's cheap even though it's located far from town. Cujo gets rabies and things begin going bad for both families. I found that it took forever for this story to get going and I didn't care about at least half of the characters. I also didn't find it overly scary. Not one of King's best efforts. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along...

—W.H. AUDEN, "Musée des Beaux Arts"
Old Blue died and he died so hard
He shook the ground in my back yard.
I dug his grave with a silver spade
And I lowered him down with a golden chain.
Every link you know I did call his name,
I called, "Here, Blue, you good dog, you."

—FOLK SONG
"Nope, nothing wrong here."
—THE SHARP CEREAL PROFESSOR
This book is for my brother, David, who held my hand crossing West Broad Street, and who taught me how to make skyhooks out of old coathangers. The trick was so damned good I just never stopped.

I love you, David.
Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine.

Cujo, a huge St Bernard, is bitten by a rabid bat and changes from a lovable pet into a ferocious man-eating monster. He slaughters his garage-owning master and, as madness eats at his brain, focuses his deranged attention on Donna Trenton and her five-year-old son, who are trapped in their car.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451161351, Mass Market Paperback)

Cujo is so well-paced and scary that people tend to read it quickly, so they mostly remember the scene of the mother and son trapped in the hot Pinto and threatened by the rabid Cujo, forgetting the multifaceted story in which that scene is embedded. This is definitely a novel that rewards re-reading. When you read it again, you can pay more attention to the theme of country folk vs. city folk; the parallel marriage conflicts of the Cambers vs. the Trentons; the poignancy of the amiable St. Bernard (yes, the breed choice is just right) infected by a brain-destroying virus that makes it into a monster; and the way the "daylight burial" of the failed ad campaign is reflected in the sunlit Pinto that becomes a coffin. And how significant it is that this horror tale is not supernatural: it's as real as junk food, a failing marriage, a broken-down car, or a fatal virus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:22 -0400)

Cujo, a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, becomes infected with rabies and kills four people in Maine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,086,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible