Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. by Stephen King

Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. (original 1981; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:glglgl
Title:Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller.
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Bergisch Gladbach : Bastei-Verlag Lübbe, (1986), Taschenbuch

Cujo by Stephen King (1981)

The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also set in Castle Rock.

English (79)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (87)
One scary SOB of a dog!!! ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
Cujo gets bitten by a rabid bat and the big friendly lovable Saint Bernard turns into a murderous beast. I really enjoyed this one a lot. I loved that Cujo's point of view was included. I couldn't help but feel for Cujo with all that happened to him due to circumstances beyond his control. I liked the small town setting of Castle Rock, Maine. The story was very atmospheric with an underlying tone of dread and apprehension throughout. Exciting, engrossing, bleak, sad, and very enjoyable. ( )
  PaulaLT | Jun 20, 2016 |
I have always been fascinated by the concept of the disease Rabies. Ever since I saw the film Cujo as a kid I have wanted to learn more about it. The subject is not touched on as much as it should be; King captured it brilliantly with this horrid situation that really could have happened. He also chose a vicious vehicle for the disease...after all, it's better to have a huge, powerful St. Bernard than a small alley cat coming after you. The facts, from what I have learned on the disease, are accurate enough. The dog not attacking the boy the morning of the fog for example...he was going through the stage of turning completely, and recognized the voice in time. All of this realism really ups the creepiness of the novel; creepy animals have always spooked me more than unrealistic ghosts and goblins.

The scenes between the dog and humans is brilliant. From the opening bat attack to the sad as hell ending, the atmosphere is rich and powerful. The little boy Thad is as precious as they come. King wrote him well and he came across as convincing. My heart ached with him. I understood the mother a bit more in the novelized version than I did the movie, and sympathized with her more. Her fear, frustration, and life all rang through. Her husband, Vic, wasn't there as much but when he was, he convinced me.

A friend of mine has commented that he didn't think Cujo the dog was written well. I disagree; I found that a well enough job was done and I enjoyed being in the mind of this St. Bernard, even if he was going through hell. It's a bit slower at the beginning but this is all due to character development. Thankfully it worked and enhanced the novel instead of taking away from it.

King really shines in some of his novels, and I consider ones of his best works. The ending was hauntingly depressing - the dog attacks were vicious and exciting - the narration at the beginning and end of the book before and after the characters are 'dealt' with -- King's ability really shows within these paper walls.

Sometimes it's fun to escape into a world of fiction where monsters that couldn't exist are there, where madmen have unrealistic abilities, where things that never could happen do. Where we see the end of the world, or a made up race. On the other hand, it's also more unsettling to see realistic events unfold...dogs turned into killing machines is high on one of those lists, families destroyed by a brutal disease really out there. King doesn't hold back on the violence or the gore here, either, and that helps drive the impact home. The characters are sympathetic, the attack scenes suspenseful, the ending justifiably sad, and the atmosphere well-done. Cujo deserves its place in your library. ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Bad Dog! Worse owner. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Stephen King said that he wrote Cujo while so heavily addicted to drugs that he doesn't even remember writing it. Unfortunately, I think it shows.

I liked the concept--as others have said, the idea of the dog's sickness forcing him to act in opposition to his nature is very scary. The tension of the last act is wonderfully done. But I never really cared about the characters, in part because they never quite felt like people to me. I didn't feel like I was reading the story of ordinary people going about their lives and then suddenly facing a tragedy. I felt like I was watching King moving chess pieces around the board to get the characters positioned just where he needed them. Instead of seeing Oz the Great and Terrible, I was looking behind the curtain. And since King is usually very good about making sure you never even see the curtain...that was a real disappointment to me.

In fairness, it's been years since I read this book and I should probably give it another try. But right now, I'd say if you want a book about a family in trouble, The Shining" is far superior. ( )
  Jeslieness | May 30, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along...

—W.H. AUDEN, "Musée des Beaux Arts"
Old Blue died and he died so hard
He shook the ground in my back yard.
I dug his grave with a silver spade
And I lowered him down with a golden chain.
Every link you know I did call his name,
I called, "Here, Blue, you good dog, you."

—FOLK SONG
"Nope, nothing wrong here."
—THE SHARP CEREAL PROFESSOR
This book is for my brother, David, who held my hand crossing West Broad Street, and who taught me how to make skyhooks out of old coathangers. The trick was so damned good I just never stopped.

I love you, David.
Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine.

Cujo, a huge St Bernard, is bitten by a rabid bat and changes from a lovable pet into a ferocious man-eating monster. He slaughters his garage-owning master and, as madness eats at his brain, focuses his deranged attention on Donna Trenton and her five-year-old son, who are trapped in their car.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451161351, Mass Market Paperback)

Cujo is so well-paced and scary that people tend to read it quickly, so they mostly remember the scene of the mother and son trapped in the hot Pinto and threatened by the rabid Cujo, forgetting the multifaceted story in which that scene is embedded. This is definitely a novel that rewards re-reading. When you read it again, you can pay more attention to the theme of country folk vs. city folk; the parallel marriage conflicts of the Cambers vs. the Trentons; the poignancy of the amiable St. Bernard (yes, the breed choice is just right) infected by a brain-destroying virus that makes it into a monster; and the way the "daylight burial" of the failed ad campaign is reflected in the sunlit Pinto that becomes a coffin. And how significant it is that this horror tale is not supernatural: it's as real as junk food, a failing marriage, a broken-down car, or a fatal virus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:22 -0400)

Cujo, a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, becomes infected with rabies and kills four people in Maine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,783,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible