Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. by Stephen King

Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller. (original 1981; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:glglgl
Title:Cujo : e. unheiml. Thriller.
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Bergisch Gladbach : Bastei-Verlag Lübbe, (1986), Taschenbuch

Cujo by Stephen King (1981)

Needful Things by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also set in Castle Rock.
    On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King refers to the writing of Cujo in his memoir.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also set in Castle Rock.

English (63)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (71)
Très bonne histoire ( )
  broche69 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Cujo was the star of this horror story to me. I WANTED him to get ahold of that whiny little kid and... well, anyway, I was AMAZED how Mr. King really got INTO the mind of Cujo!! This was this first time I ever experienced the Point-Of-View of a DOG. Simply Brilliant.

The Movie version was one of the BIGGEST letdowns I have ever known. The BOOKS have ALWAYS been a superior experience for me, but the movie production of CUJO was particularly disappointing.

I YEARN to add a Hardcover to my small personal Library Shelves... and hope to have the pleasure of RE-reading this tale in the near future. ( )
  skippybuck | Jul 10, 2014 |
My first Stephen King book. It left me with a healthy fear of my closet. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
I’m a fairly recent convert to the world of horror writer Stephen King – I picked up “Carrie” about two years ago and loved it absolutely, then picked up “On Writing” and found it fascinating and inspirational. Since then, I’ve come across his books regularly in charity shops, as well as some nice deals in Tescos – all of which have lead to a growing collection.

After “Carrie” and “On Writing”, I read and enjoyed “Misery”. Now was the turn of “Cujo”, the horror story of a beloved family dog that turns rabid and starts terrorising the area, drawing in around a family that have just moved into the area.

Vic Trenton is an advertising designer, and he and his wife Donna move with their four-year-old son Tad from New York to Maine. In Maine, the Camber family – abusive husband Joe, his wife and their son – own a big Saint Bernard named Cujo. Joe Camber has a reputation as a fair-priced and skilled mechanic, and when the Trenton’s car breaks down the two families meet briefly.

Shortly after, Cujo falls into a bolt-hole filled with rabid bats and is bitten. He hasn’t been vaccinated, and his sickness (aided by the suggested possession of the ghost of a murderer who once lived in the town) because a “vortex that draws in everything around it”. Suddenly too smart and far,far too strong, the St.Bernard is now not only easily capable of killing, but driven to do so until nothing is left alive.

This story has a lot of Stephen King staples: being set in Maine (in King’s fictional town ‘Castle Rock’), use of weird and wonderful local accents, a ‘big bad’ evil lurking behind the scenes, characters trapped in a deadly situation, and a very tightly-timed sequence of events that sync up in the run towards the finish.

It also has his enviable skill with characterisation shown in full. Throughout the course of the novel he creates an alcoholic, a scared child, a beaten wife, an adulterer, an animal and more, and each role s played perfectly. one of his tricks for this is to slip into first-person narrative during times of strong emotion. Which would be a bit like if I was just writing as normal, getting on with my review and OH GOD A SPIDER WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO WHERE IS THE NEAREST MALE AHHHH.

In “On Writing”,” Cujo” was mentioned as the story King “barely remembers writing at all” as he was drinking constantly at the time - which is an interesting tactic. I wonder if this implies that drunk texts from King are, instead of the usual garbled and emotional mess of most people, the beginnings of epic novellas? I don’t think this method would work for most of us, but if you try it, be sure to leave a comment to let me know – and you get bonus points if you’re still drunk while doing so.

Despite its polished and professional charms, “Cujo” is not without its flaws. Horror stories involve some suspension of disbelief, and when you have a sequence of tightly-timed ‘coincidences’ leading up to your finale, this suspension becomes even more important.

You’re wife’s cheating on your, your business is going down the tubes, and your car has broken down. That’s tough luck, but it happens. Your wifes choice in flings in a psychotic author that trashes your house into a conveniently crime-scene like mess? These things happen, I guess. The garage where you repair your car is not only void of all humanity, but inhabited by a rabid dog and your wife and kid are stuck out there? They’re out of gas? It’s the hottest day of the summer? You’ve called them a dozen times but think you might leave it a few more hours just in case she’s out and besides, if you did call the police they’d be kind of incompetent anyway and take their sweet time about figuring out what’s going in?

Plot-writing involves a good amount of convenient coincidences – that’s an old cliche and a true one. However, writing is also all about sneaking in hints and little events that subtly manipulate the characters and story in the right direction, without giving away to the reader how it’s all going to end.

“Cujo” doesn’t quite have this pegged, and it leaves a lot of the book full of frustratingly unrealistic mistakes by characters, as well as choking up their pacing. The characters are stuck in a inescapable situation, and after the first attempts to save the day fail it just gets boring sitting back and tracking how many times people will mess up until King feels it’s time to wrap the story up.

If you’re looking for a quick-moving read, there are worse books to pick up. Other King novels tackle the flaws in”Cujo” more skillfully, but plenty of other writers come up with much worse. Most importantly, new readers will probably be too distracted by King’s skilled prose to notice its flaws.

“Cujo” is recommended as a decent introduction to Stephen King’s work, as well as a fun look into good characterisation and narration for budding writers. If you’ve been reading King’s stories for a while, however, it’s unlikely to be one of your favorites. 3/5. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
I am (re)reading Stephen King's works in chronological order and this re-read was up next for me. I originally read the book when it was first published in 1981 making me 13yo. It made a big impression on me at the time and I was quite shocked it ended the way it did. The change in the movie ending infuriated me. Re-reading it all these years later, I don't find it anywhere near as good as what King had written to this point, though better than Firestarter. Cujo is a short book compared to the other's but longer than Carrie. I had thought this was going to be pure realistic horror but had forgotten about the boogieman element. King goes about playing this realistic, frighteningly possible story of a rabid dog wandering in a rural backwoods area while adding in just a touch of the paranormal which we could believe is imagination on the part of the participants but King won't let us off that easily. Cujo has a small cast of characters and King does something different here for the first time (disregarding the Bachman books) by spending a lot of time on character development of the main handful of major players. There is not even any threat until well over 100 pages in which is 1/3 of the book. King also chooses to write from the dog's point of view occasionally; this is a tricky thing to do and pull off well. But The King does it! Cujo's thoughts come much less frequently than any others, and his passages are always short lending great credibility and success to Cujo never becoming personified. He is always an animal, even though the reader is party to his brief canine thoughts. A good quick read. Classic King, but I'd call this a turning point from his work to date so far, more of a psychological thriller than horror; but still horror in a more real sense than in actually being scary or creepy.

Now as I'm reading through the books, I'm also looking for the connections to the previous books in the big Stephen King Universe and this one is easy. Taking place in Castle Rock, right after the events of The Dead Zone, our new family moves into the house owned by the killer in DZ. This killer (I won't say who it is) and the case which forms the first half of DZ are referred to frequently in Cujo. Finally, Sheriff Bannerman from DZ is a character in both books. I didn't pick up on anything else. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jan 12, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along...

—W.H. AUDEN, "Musée des Beaux Arts"
Old Blue died and he died so hard
He shook the ground in my back yard.
I dug his grave with a silver spade
And I lowered him down with a golden chain.
Every link you know I did call his name,
I called, "Here, Blue, you good dog, you."

—FOLK SONG
"Nope, nothing wrong here."
—THE SHARP CEREAL PROFESSOR
This book is for my brother, David, who held my hand crossing West Broad Street, and who taught me how to make skyhooks out of old coathangers. The trick was so damned good I just never stopped.

I love you, David.
Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine.

Cujo, a huge St Bernard, is bitten by a rabid bat and changes from a lovable pet into a ferocious man-eating monster. He slaughters his garage-owning master and, as madness eats at his brain, focuses his deranged attention on Donna Trenton and her five-year-old son, who are trapped in their car.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451161351, Mass Market Paperback)

Cujo is so well-paced and scary that people tend to read it quickly, so they mostly remember the scene of the mother and son trapped in the hot Pinto and threatened by the rabid Cujo, forgetting the multifaceted story in which that scene is embedded. This is definitely a novel that rewards re-reading. When you read it again, you can pay more attention to the theme of country folk vs. city folk; the parallel marriage conflicts of the Cambers vs. the Trentons; the poignancy of the amiable St. Bernard (yes, the breed choice is just right) infected by a brain-destroying virus that makes it into a monster; and the way the "daylight burial" of the failed ad campaign is reflected in the sunlit Pinto that becomes a coffin. And how significant it is that this horror tale is not supernatural: it's as real as junk food, a failing marriage, a broken-down car, or a fatal virus.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

Cujo, a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, becomes infected with rabies and kills four people in Maine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,319,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible