Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Face on the Milk Carton

by Caroline B. Cooney

Series: Janie Johnson (1)

A photograph of a missing girl on a milk carton leads Janie on a search for her real identity.

I was really looking forward to this book. Had a great premise–what if you saw that the missing person was you. But it’s only about 45% mystery and the other part is romance teen-dating, dealing with friends and crushes and other high school drama. And it comprises so much of the book too. You can bet that if I saw my face on a milk carton, I’d be dedicating 100% of my time to figuring it out. That’d be all I could think about — no time for boys or anything else. Plus it’s shoehorned in–these are two themes that don’t go together. So jarring, you could literally mark where one story changes to the other.

Besides the disconnected theming, the characters just aren’t likable. Besides the fact that the main character does as much pining for who’s-his-face as detective work, she seems barely motivated to do anything. Just concerned about college and high school, but not much beyond that. And there’s no ending. It’s a cliffhanger (except the cliff is three feet up) that’s so dull it feels like the author just ran out of paper.

Don’t be fooled by the fascinating premise. It’s not at all satisfying to read. ( )
  theWallflower | Jan 31, 2019 |
Interesting story about Janie who recognizes her face on the side of a milk carton and begins to wonder if she had been kidnapped years ago. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
3.5 Stars

For the age range this is aimed at, this is an awesome book. Going back and reading it as an adult, honestly I still enjoyed it. It was a bit repetitive at times, but it all worked out in the end. This is the type of book that can make a person fall in love with reading. It ends on a cliffhanger, so you want to read the next book.

Also, I remember reading this in school. Reading it as an adult, I'm shocked that we did read it in school, because there are SO many passages referencing sex. ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
No one ever really paid close attention to the faces of the missing children on the milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl - hair in tight pigtails, a dress with a narrow white collar, a 3-year-old who had been kidnapped 12 years ago from a shopping mall in New Jersey - she felt overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl - it was herself. How could it possibly be true?
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
To my mother, Martha Willerton Bruce, and my father, Dexter, Mitchell Bruce.
Janie finished her essay.

Nobody ever paid close attention to the faces that appeared at the back of the milk cartons. However, one day Janie Johnson glanced at the back of the milk carton. It was a face of a three year old girl with her hair in pig tails, wearing a white collar dress. It said that the three year old girl had been kidnapped twelve years ago from a shopping mall. Janie first didn't realize that the girl on the milk carton was her, but the three year old girl was Janie Johnson.

With shock, Janie started to find clues, because she possibly couldn’t believe that her parents had kidnapped her. However, the clues that Janie had put together didn’t make any sense. What really happened twelve years ago? How did Janie end up showing in the milk carton that she had been kidnapped?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,631,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible