The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B.…

The Face on the Milk Carton

by Caroline B. Cooney

Very interesting. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
I've had this book in my TBR for years and now I've finally gotten around to reading it.
Summary
Pictures of missing children on the backs of milk cartons are common in Janie's High School lunchroom. But these children have been missing for over 10 years, who could ever recognize a teenager by a picture of a three year old? Janie does, because the child is her.

Spoiler-free Review
Sounds like a super exciting book to me. Sadly, the first half of the book just isn't as fast-paced or suspenseful as I thought it would be, but it picks up a bit towards the end. I also think there is some confusion with the "young adult" classification: the writing style feels younger, but the conversations feel on the older (high school) side. I liked it enough to read the sequel (eventually), but the fact that there is a sequel irritates me.

Spoiler Warning!!
After she heard her parents' story I was afraid she was going to believe it. Their explanation was kind of weak, and it ignored a lot of things like why her parents said she had a milk allergy right when her picture started showing up on cartons, but she didn't appear to have any aversion to milk later. All that set-up of her lying parents in the beginning really had me thinking through, and preparing, conspiracies for her kidnapping, but none of it was needed because their lame story ended up being mostly true! Believe it or not, that turn of events was not nearly as annoying as the book ending in the middle of conversation. I don't mind sequels when the 1st book is so compelling I need more, but I hate when I have to read them to finish up the story of a 200 page book which wasn't incredibly gripping to begin with. ( )
  MelanieTid | Feb 17, 2016 |
When I read the summary for this book I was hooked and once I started reading it was hard to put down. However, the story was too sad for me. I finished the book but I will not be reading the next 3 in this series. Kidnapping is a scary and real topic and it bothered me to read about what happened to this girl at 3 years old. The author did a great job telling the story and the characters were very believable. I hear this is a movie so I probably will watch the movie to find out what really happens to this girl. I also read that this is based on a true story but I am not sure if that is factual yet. Either way, Cooney is an excellent storyteller and I do recommend this series. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I read this so long ago I can't really remember it. ( )
  joyhclark | Jan 20, 2016 |
My students love this series. So far, girls only.
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
To my mother, Martha Willerton Bruce, and my father, Dexter, Mitchell Bruce.
Janie finished her essay.

Nobody ever paid close attention to the faces that appeared at the back of the milk cartons. However, one day Janie Johnson glanced at the back of the milk carton. It was a face of a three year old girl with her hair in pig tails, wearing a white collar dress. It said that the three year old girl had been kidnapped twelve years ago from a shopping mall. Janie first didn't realize that the girl on the milk carton was her, but the three year old girl was Janie Johnson.

With shock, Janie started to find clues, because she possibly couldn’t believe that her parents had kidnapped her. However, the clues that Janie had put together didn’t make any sense. What really happened twelve years ago? How did Janie end up showing in the milk carton that she had been kidnapped?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038532328X, Hardcover)

No one ever really paid close attention to the faces of the missing children on the milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl with her hair in tight pigtails, wearing a dress with a narrow white collar--a three-year-old who had been kidnapped twelve years before from a shopping mall in New Jersey--she felt overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl--it was she. How could it possibly be true?

Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, but as she begins to piece things together, nothing makes sense. Something is terribly wrong. Are Mr. and Mrs. Johnson really Janie's parents? And if not, who is Janie Johnson, and what really happened?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

A photograph of a missing girl on a milk carton leads Janie on a search for her real identity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,877,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible