The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B.…

The Face on the Milk Carton

by Caroline B. Cooney

2,061None3,206 (3.62)32
(13) adoption (22) children's (20) cults (9) drama (11) family (44) fiction (158) high school (13) identity (25) Janie (13) kidnapping (102) love (8) milk carton (9) missing (10) missing children (12) mystery (156) own (8) paperback (8) read (32) realistic fiction (42) romance (30) series (48) suspense (32) teen (48) thriller (9) to-read (16) Y (11) YA (89) young adult (121) young adult fiction (33)

I read this so long ago I can't really remember it. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
An interesting premise and a decent YA book, but I found the writing and dialogues too simple. One of two "banned" books I read for my book club. What would you do if you were a teen and saw a picture of yourself as a young child labeled "missing" on the back of a mil carton? A story of hidden secrets and family bonds. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Dec 4, 2013 |
Compelling and full of suspense. How did Janie's perfect parents (apparently) kidnap her as a little girl? Who is Hannah? What is her real family like? ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 27, 2013 |
Like many women of my generation, I originally read this book when I was in middle school, not too long after it came out. Along with Sweet Valley High and The Babysitters Club, this was one of my favorite go to reads. It was always easy to pick up, and seemed light hearted at the time. At this point, I probably haven’t read this book in at least sixteen years, so I was curious to see how it would hold up when I compared it to my memories.

As a kid, I was fascinated by Janie’s life and the disaster that was crashing down around her. I was the oldest of six kids and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t envy Janie. It always seemed like a nice idea, to go from a huge family to a small one. Except, of course, Janie didn’t know where she had come from, so she wasn’t exactly relishing in it like I imagined I would have been. So to an extent, this was a fun escape fantasy for me when I was younger.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog. ( )
  dorolerium | Dec 19, 2012 |
To my mother, Martha Willerton Bruce, and my father, Dexter, Mitchell Bruce.
Janie finished her essay.

Nobody ever paid close attention to the faces that appeared at the back of the milk cartons. However, one day Janie Johnson glanced at the back of the milk carton. It was a face of a three year old girl with her hair in pig tails, wearing a white collar dress. It said that the three year old girl had been kidnapped twelve years ago from a shopping mall. Janie first didn't realize that the girl on the milk carton was her, but the three year old girl was Janie Johnson.

With shock, Janie started to find clues, because she possibly couldn’t believe that her parents had kidnapped her. However, the clues that Janie had put together didn’t make any sense. What really happened twelve years ago? How did Janie end up showing in the milk carton that she had been kidnapped?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038532328X, Hardcover)

No one ever really paid close attention to the faces of the missing children on the milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl with her hair in tight pigtails, wearing a dress with a narrow white collar--a three-year-old who had been kidnapped twelve years before from a shopping mall in New Jersey--she felt overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl--it was she. How could it possibly be true?

Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, but as she begins to piece things together, nothing makes sense. Something is terribly wrong. Are Mr. and Mrs. Johnson really Janie's parents? And if not, who is Janie Johnson, and what really happened?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:55 -0400)

A photograph of a missing girl on a milk carton leads Janie on a search for her real identity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible