The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B.…

The Face on the Milk Carton

by Caroline B. Cooney

(13) adoption (23) children's (20) cults (9) drama (11) family (44) fiction (159) high school (14) identity (25) Janie (14) kidnapping (102) love (8) milk carton (9) missing (10) missing children (12) mystery (159) paperback (8) read (33) realistic fiction (43) romance (31) series (50) suspense (32) teen (48) thriller (9) to-read (16) unowned (8) Y (12) YA (90) young adult (124) young adult fiction (33)

I was in the sixth grade. We were having one of those Scholastic book orders that made reading so exciting. This book caught my attention. What could be more captivating than a book about a kid finding out they're kidnapped?!! I begged my mom to order it and she did. Shortly thereafter, the book was in my hands, and suddenly I was ashamed. I was a boy on the verge of junior high school. I watched sports, liked cars and video games. I was too cool for a book with a pig-tailed girl on the cover.

Some time later that year, this kid named Joey mentioned the book. He was cool. He asked if I'd read it. Was this a trap? “I have a copy—but only because my mom wanted to read it,” I said. He said he'd read the book and it was awesome, that I should definitely read it. Again, part of me wanted to read The Face on the Milk Carton, but I really didn't have time for it. I was going to get a Z shaved on the side of my head, work for Ferrari, and sing backup for Bobby Brown: I was way too cool for books.

I wish I'd listened to Joey. I probably would've liked this book more as a twelve year old than as a thirty-five year old. That being said, I was surprised by how much I did enjoy the novel as an adult. No, it's not some great work of literature. But what it is is captivating. I was enthralled by what Janie would do. I was pulled in, reading chapter after chapter in a single sitting. Was I captivated enough to read the rest of the books in the series? No. Nevertheless, The Face on the Milk Carton was a wonderful ride of adolescent “what ifs.”

One thing that surprised me about this novel was the amount of sex. Had I read it back in grade school as was the original plan, I probably would've been ashamed and confused by what I'd read. In my opinion, The Face on the Milk Carton is more a young adult novel than a child's story. Damn Scholastic for trying to corrupt my youth!

And what's up with Janie's lactose intolerance? It's constantly being mentioned. Girl cannot consume dairy without dire consequence. Apt condition to have given the title? Perhaps. But what kind of pizza is this girl eating? Does heated cheese somehow not qualify as dairy? How does the writer and the editors miss this contradiction?

Despite its flaws in logic and storytelling, The Face on the Milk Carton was a great adventure. I didn't learn anything, I wasn't moved by the condition of these characters, but I was entertained. And if that is the point of this book, then the author succeeded. Thanks, Joey. It took over twenty years, but you finally convinced me. ( )
  chrisblocker | Jul 7, 2014 |
I read this so long ago I can't really remember it. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
An interesting premise and a decent YA book, but I found the writing and dialogues too simple. One of two "banned" books I read for my book club. What would you do if you were a teen and saw a picture of yourself as a young child labeled "missing" on the back of a mil carton? A story of hidden secrets and family bonds. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Dec 4, 2013 |
Compelling and full of suspense. How did Janie's perfect parents (apparently) kidnap her as a little girl? Who is Hannah? What is her real family like? ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 27, 2013 |
To my mother, Martha Willerton Bruce, and my father, Dexter, Mitchell Bruce.
Janie finished her essay.

Nobody ever paid close attention to the faces that appeared at the back of the milk cartons. However, one day Janie Johnson glanced at the back of the milk carton. It was a face of a three year old girl with her hair in pig tails, wearing a white collar dress. It said that the three year old girl had been kidnapped twelve years ago from a shopping mall. Janie first didn't realize that the girl on the milk carton was her, but the three year old girl was Janie Johnson.

With shock, Janie started to find clues, because she possibly couldn’t believe that her parents had kidnapped her. However, the clues that Janie had put together didn’t make any sense. What really happened twelve years ago? How did Janie end up showing in the milk carton that she had been kidnapped?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038532328X, Hardcover)

No one ever really paid close attention to the faces of the missing children on the milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl with her hair in tight pigtails, wearing a dress with a narrow white collar--a three-year-old who had been kidnapped twelve years before from a shopping mall in New Jersey--she felt overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl--it was she. How could it possibly be true?

Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, but as she begins to piece things together, nothing makes sense. Something is terribly wrong. Are Mr. and Mrs. Johnson really Janie's parents? And if not, who is Janie Johnson, and what really happened?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:55 -0400)

A photograph of a missing girl on a milk carton leads Janie on a search for her real identity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible