The Gospel According to Larry by Janet…

The Gospel According to Larry

by Janet Tashjian

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Culture Jam by Kalle Lasn (JFDR)
    JFDR: The Larry book mentions Adbusters, and Larry's sermons are are anti-consumerist. I recommend a connection between these works, which are fiction and non-fiction.
    Shift by Jennifer Bradbury (JFDR)

The message of this book was good. It was a little preachy and parts of it were pretty far fetched. It was published in 2001 so at this point it is really dated. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 22, 2014 |
Not bad, not bad. Interesting concept, certainly believable...Beth was a bit cliche'd and it could have done without that, but an the pure brain candy scale, not bad at all. ( )
  ScoutJ | Apr 27, 2013 |
I remember reading this book when I was much younger--it was, in fact, one of the first YA books I ever read. I was, however, too young to really understand much of what had happened, and although I had a vague recollection of how the book went, over the years, I found that my recollection was significantly off. The concept behind this book is a fascinatingly unique one, but the characterization is pulled off so wonderfully that Josh's situation ends up feeling entirely realistic. It's written in a way that the reader can relate to this utterly unrelatable, unintentionally personable character. While reading this, I realized what a great choice Tashjian had made when she'd chosen the point of view, whether she'd given any thought to it or not. It would have been a different story entirely if told by one of Larry's fans or something. I'm wondering what on earth the sequels could contain, since there are two of those if I'm not mistaken. Everything was tied up so neatly, so I'm hoping the sequels aren't too destructive to the original. I would have liked to have seen more than some vague hints about Beth and others close to Larry at the conclusion, and I hope the sequels elaborate on them. One final thing I noticed that definitely flew past my younger self's attention is the elaborate biblical parallel evident throughout the story--see if you can catch it, it's amazing how well it's interwoven in the story. Great read, I can't wait to hear more from snarky young Larry.

Rating: 4/5 ( )
1 vote Runa | Dec 12, 2009 |
Reviewed by Taylor Rector for TeensReadToo.com

Josh is a bored seventeen-year-old genius. That is just a recipe for disaster!

Just for something to do, he creates a website where he posts all of his rants about our celebrity-obsessed culture, anti-communism, and any other random thing that he thinks of. Josh names his site "The Gospel According To Larry" because that is the most unreligious name he could possibly think of. He's getting two or three hits a day, until some kids from his school find the page and he's soon getting a few hundred visitors a day to his website.

Then Bono, the lead singer of U2, finds Josh's site. And he mentions the site on national television.

Josh instantly begins getting millions of hits a day and everyone wants to know who Larry is.

Then betagold, a fan of Larry's, begins leaving comments on Josh's site about how he should just come out and tell everyone who Larry really is.

As things begin to spin out of control, Josh goes crazy! What will he do to save himself? Will he ever reveal that he's "Larry"?

This is a really funny book, because I can totally imagine something like this actually happening! Sometimes the middle is a little slow, but overall the book is a really great read! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
YA Book Club #4 ( )
  francomega | Jul 18, 2009 |
"This is the discipline which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true." St. John 21:24
For Josh...(and Larry) wherever you are.

"I haven't enjoyed a rant this much since Thoreau," Beth said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440237920, Mass Market Paperback)

Josh Swensen is not your average 17-year-old. At the age of two, he was figuring out algebraic equations with colored magnetic numbers. He is a prodigy who only wants to make the world a better place. Josh’s wish comes true when his virtual alter ego, Larry, becomes a huge media sensation. Larry has his own Web site where he posts sermons on anti-consumerism and has a large following of adults and teens. Meanwhile, Larry’s identity is a mystery to everyone. While it seems as if the whole world is trying to figure out Larry’s true identity, Josh feels trapped inside his own creation. What will happen to the world, and to Larry, if he is exposed?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:18 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Josh, a loner-philosopher who wants to make a difference in the world, tries to maintain his secret identity as the author of a web site that is receiving national attention.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,128,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible