The Voice on the Radio by Caroline B. Cooney

The Voice on the Radio (1996)

by Caroline B. Cooney

The saga of Janie Johnson/Jenny Spring continues. Her boyfriend, Reeve, is now at college and trying to be a DJ on the college station. But, finding that he has nothing from his own life, Reeve decides to share all the gory details of Janie's kidnapping and "real" family. Of course, Janie goes to Boston to surprise Reeve for a weekend and tunes into his show only to find her families' tragedy being broadcast across Boston. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 17, 2013 |
Awesome addition to the Janie Quartet! I really loved that Cooney did more in depth exploration of the characters' personalities and emotions; it's not just all surface feelings/living in the moment anymore. Jodie, Brian, and Reeve seem to be the most realistic, dynamic characters for me and are fascinating to investigate. Janie's emotional growth, on the other hand, seemed a bit more unnatural to me; it seemed to go catharsis, growth, catharsis, growth. No gradual change, no setbacks: just leaps of growth. The final catharsis was truly beautiful; Janie's talk with her "mom" - Mrs. Spring - had me fighting back tears. I absolutely love the change we've seen in Mrs. Spring in this installment. I look forward to the next book. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 27, 2013 |
This is third book in the "Face on the Milk Carton" series. Janie's boyfriend, Reeve, has left for college while Janie is slowly coming to terms with both sets of her parents. When Reeve begins working at the college radio station, he finds himself telling Janie's story. Immediately he feels guilty, but he continues to share her story night after night on the radio. I thought that this book was a bit of a let-down. I do not like the way the characters have developed. Reeve comes across as a jerk, while Janie appears to be a whiny brat. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jul 11, 2011 |
This is the continuation of the Janie Johnson story. Janie is now living back in Connecticut, she is in her sophomore year at high school and dreaming of the time when she can graduate and go to college and be with her boyfriend Reeve. Meanwhile Reeve is adjusting to being a freshman at a Boston College. He becomes a college radio disc jockey, and one night to avoid having dead air, he starts talking about Janie, her kidnapping and all that has happened over the last two years. He knows he is betraying Janie’s trust, but the Janie shows become so popular that he can’t stop. What’s the harm, he thinks, Janie will never know.

Of course, Janie does find out, on a surprise visit to see him she hears his show and is devastated by his deceit. In losing Reeve, Janie has found she possess more inner strength than she knew she had. This has also proven a route back to her birth family.

This ongoing story has totally captivated me. There is one more book in the series, and still a number of threads that are hanging, and I plan on reading it soon so I can find out how Janie’s story is finally resolved. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 25, 2010 |
This is the third book in the series of The Face On the Milk Carton. Janie and Reeve are in love and miss eachother very much but highschool keeps getting in the way of their relationship. Reeve takes a job as a DJ on a radio station and one night when he had nothing to say he begins telling his viewers about Janie's kidnapping. The show is a hit and viewer want to hear more. Meanwhile, Janie is struggling to put the event in her past and has no idea of Reeve's new topic on his show. Her family begins to become successful and buys a new house where all memebers have their own room. In the end Reeve does get caught and cannot handle to consequences of his mistakes. Janie and her twin begin to get close and Janie learns to love both families.
  jgbyers | Nov 19, 2009 |
for Harold,
who knew what happened to Reeve

and with thanks to Lynne Kawkins, a
great line editor

to Sayre, whose idea of editing is "Wow, Mom,
this is perfect!"

and to Beverly Horowitz, my editor,
whose ideas are perfect
He ran out of things to say.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440219779, Mass Market Paperback)

The Voice on the Radio, now in paperback, is the highly anticipated companion to The Face on the Milk Carton and Whatever Happened to Janie?, by best selling author Caroline B.  Cooney:

Janie's life finally seems to be settling down.  But she really misses Reeve Shields, her boyfriend who is away at college.  Reeve is overwhelmed by his new college life, and when he is asked to host a late-night radio show, he cannot turn it down.  But he is stressed, and he finds himself spilling Janie's secrets on the air, certain that Janie will never find out.  But will Janie have to pay for Reeve's lapse in judgement?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:41 -0400)

Companion book to the bestselling novels "The face on the milk carton" and "Whatever happened to Jane?"

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible