The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

The Commitments (1987)

by Roddy Doyle

Series: Barrytown Trilogy (Book 1)

1,1372010,899 (3.82)56
    The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney (charl08)
    The Ballydoolin privates by Eamon Francis (nessreader)
    nessreader: Ballydoolin is about young fellas from Dublin who join the army; they're a generation or 2 older than Doyle's heroes but very similar. Funny, earthy and warm.

English (19)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
Barrytown, Dublin, has something to sing about. The Commitments are spreading the gospel of the soul. Ably managed by Jimmy Rabbitte, brilliantly coached by Joey 'The Lips' Fagan, their twin assault on Motown and Barrytown takes them by leaps and bounds from the parish hall to the steps of the studio door. But can The Commitments live up to their name?
  JESGalway | Feb 4, 2019 |
The Commitments are bursting on to the Dublin music scene, bringing the sounds of Motown and soul to receptive Irish ears. But first they have to become a cohesive band. Jimmy Rabbitte, the band’s self-styled manager, puts them together and with the assistance of Joey “The Lips” Fagan, makes them sound pretty not-bad. This is an energetic, driving book, told almost exclusively in dialogue and punctuated with the songs that the band covers (plenty of James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, etc.). It’s delightfully sweary in an Irish way, and it leaves you gasping for air at the end. I enjoyed it and will be looking out for the movie. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 30, 2018 |
Laurence Kinlan (of Love/Hate) does a brilliant job reading (and singing!) the audio version.
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
I have been a fan of Roddy Doyle's writing for some years but had not read this book. I know he relies heavily on dialogue but this one is also padded with song lyrics. It is an enjoyable, easy read with his trademark humour and now I will have to purchase the rest of the trilogy. I would love to hear the soundtrack to this movie. ( )
  HelenBaker | Jun 11, 2016 |
I don't know that I've ever read a book that I could nearly sing along to before, which is certainly the case in this short novel about a soul band being formed in Dublin, Ireland. A fun, quick read for anyone who loves soul music or even classic rock. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Mar 2, 2016 |

Doyle, Roddyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moppes, Rob vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeuli, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eert uw vader en uw moeder, broeders en zusters.
Ook zij waren eens tè gekke vogels, weet je wel.
Ouders zijn soul.

JOEY THE LIPS FAGAN
"Fratelli e sorelle, onorate il padre e la madre.
Anche loro avevano la musica nel sangue,
una volta. I genitori sono soul".

JOEY LABBRA FAGAN

I GOT -
SOU -OU - OUL -
AN' I'M SUPERBAD -

JAMES BROWN, Superbad
Dit boek is opgedragen aan mijn moeder en mijn vader
'We vragen het Jimmy,' zei Outspan. 'Jimmy weet het wel.'
- Chiediamolo a Jimmy, disse Outspan. - Jimmy lo saprà di sicuro.
Jimmy Rabbitte ne capiva di musica. Eccome se ne capiva. Qaundo andava in un centro, non lo si vedeva mai tornare a casa senza un nuovo album o un LP o come minimo un singolo. Ogni settimana Jimmy si divorava Melody Maker e NME, Hot Press ogni due settimane. Ascoltava Dave Fanning e John Peel. Leggeva perfino Jackie di sua sorella, quando nessuno lo vedeva. Senz'altro Jimmy ne capiva.
This is the book that Alan Parker's movie is based on.

This funky, rude, unpretentious first novel traces the short, funny, and furious career of a group of working-class Irish kids who form a band, The Commitments. Their mission: to bring soul to Dublin!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

A group of working-class Irish youths with a passion for the music of Sam Cooke and Otis Redding form a rock 'n' roll band and attempt to bring soul to Dublin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible