Wizard at Large by Terry Brooks

Wizard at Large (edition 1988)

by Terry Brooks

Member:InigoMontoya
Title:Wizard at Large
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Futura (1988), Paperback, 292 pages
Tags:Main, Fiction

Wizard At Large by Terry Brooks

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
I'm more a fan of the Shannara books than the Landover novels, but I enjoy these novels also. They are very simplistic, Brooks has created a very small self-contained world for this characters to adventure in. This means there are no long journeys, but it also makes the setting feel artificial. In that way it reminds me of Piers Anthony's Xanth setting - a small, quirky setting that's a foil for the characters. What makes these books worth reading is the unusual characters he has created, and how he manages to keep them interesting in each new book. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 4, 2013 |
I read the series when I was in high school, and I remember that I loved Questor back then. I read it more recently and found that I don't like him at all anymore, so at least half of this book was almost torturous to read. ( )
  angevon | Apr 1, 2013 |
A convoluted comedy of errors. Wizard Questor Thews tries to change Abernathy back into a man but sneezes and sends Abernathy to the US instead. And brings a demon in a bottle to Landover. Ben Holiday goes back to his world to rescue Abernathy and Questor goes in pursuit of the bottle. It had me totally sucked in and I didn't want to put the book down. Loved it! ( )
  jhmills | Sep 1, 2012 |
MAGIC KINGDOM OF LANDOVER
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
I love this series! It's simple reading but just the kind of easy escapism read you need sometimes. ( )
  willowcove | Feb 19, 2009 |
At that word the young man let his glass slip through his fingers, and looked upon Keawe like a ghost.
'The price,' says he; 'the price! You do not know the price?'
'It is for that I am asking you,' returned Keawe. 'But why are you so much concerned? Is there something wrong about the price?'
'It has dropped a great deal in value since your time, Mr. Keawe,' said the young man, stammering.
'Well, well, I shall have the less to pay for it,' says Keawe. 'How much did it cost you?'
The young man was white as a sheet. 'Two cents,' said he.
'What?' cried Keawe, 'two cents? Why, then, you can only sell it for one. And he who buys it--' The words died upon Keawe's tongue; he who bought it could never sell it again, the bottle and the bottle imp must abide with him until he died, and when he died must carry him to the red end of hell.
Robert Louise Stevenson, The Bottle Imp
For Alex, who is something of a wizard at large himself...
Ben Holiday sighed wearily and wished he were somewhere else besides where he was.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345362276, Mass Market Paperback)

Questor Thews is only a semi-competent wizard, but when High Lord Ben Holiday and his love Willow need use of his powers, he tries to comply. He tries, all right, but he doesn't have all that much faith in himself--not since he turned a terrier into an imp. Still, he'll do what he can....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:26 -0400)

When a spell to change the dog Abernathy into a human goes awry, Ben Holiday and his wife, Willow, journey to Earth to rescue their friend while a mischievious imp is released into the Magic Kingdom.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible