The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver

The Blue Nowhere (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jeffery Deaver

Title:The Blue Nowhere
Authors:Jeffery Deaver (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (2002), Editie: Reprint,
Tags:Roman, Crime, Engels

The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver (2001)

English (28)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
This is a real good book (fiction) about a few hackers. While it shows at times how old it is (BBS, AOL), I found it accurate and the methods are described without the usual mistakes. There is also a good balance between the computer-word and real-world, and a lot of action. The writing style of Deaver may get on your nerves after a few books, as it is obvious what to expect, but once in a while it is very gripping. There are only few fiction books I would compare it too, to mind come Rudy Rucker: The Hacker and The Ants (there is V 2.0 available) and Neal Stephenson: Snowcrash - but both books touch a wider range of problems, going in to SF and deep philosophical questions, so maybe the comparison is not entirely fair.
It is definitely not boring, and has a few pages in front with a collection of terms and abbreviations, explained. This should help a novice, so you do not need much or even any computer-knowledge to enjoy the book. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
In The Blue Nowhere, we have computer hackers run wild as Phate, a Silicon Valley hacker, is taking a computer game to a whole new level, collecting points by killing hard to kill targets. Phate does this by infiltrating people’s computers with a trap door virus, giving him access to all of the information on their computers. He then hunts them down and kills them, often by manipulating data found in computers to some way trick them. The computer crimes division is a bit overmatched in trying to deal with Phate, so they use an incarcerated computer hacker, Wyatt Gillette, to assist in their investigation. Gillette is an equally skilled hacker and matches wits with Phate, with whom he shares a past history. The lead Detective, Frank Bishop, uses Gillette’s skills and old-fashioned police investigation to hunt down Phate as he continues to kill.

This is a different type of crime thriller than what I am used to reading. Serial killers in fiction tend to be very similar and generic, but Phate is a very different kind of killer. He is completely disassociated with reality. For him, the only thing that matters are machines, code, and virtual reality. He doesn’t see people as being people. To him, they are only objects. He contrasts with Gillette, who also is enthralled by machines, but he at least has an ex-wife that he loves and views people as people, and not mere lines of code. The chase in this novel works well. The one shortcoming is the believability of Phate’s character. The way he acts and the real world skills he has is so unlike any hacker type I have ever known. I’m not tech savvy enough to determine how realistic some of the online activities were, but the characterization of Phate was a bit sketchy. This was a good thriller and an entertaining read, one that I enjoyed.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 18, 2015 |
The heart of the story - a bad guy with a penchant for penetrating security, especially computer information security, to meet people face-to-face and murder them, and the cops and convicted hacker trying to catch the bad guy - is reasonably interesting.

The language and the writing is AWFUL. I read this book on the recommendation of a friend, and had to check the copyright date to make sure that I wasn't being unfair. I wasn't. By 2001 the Internet and the World Wide Web were settled and accepted names, but Deaver had to be clever and invent a reason that everyone in his novel would actually call it "The Blue Nowhere", or failing that "The Machine World". Plenty of verifiable facts are wrong.

And then Deaver makes up ridiculous stuff about computer nerds/hackers left and right, most of it for no particularly good reason. For example, the good-guy and the bad-guy hackers type so hard and violently that every one of their finger tips is callused, and this is a common hacker affliction. Yep, thumbs too. Because they invented a new way of typing using their thumbs more to type faster. I've NEVER heard of anyone with one callused finger tip like that, let alone all 10.

Also, the good-guy regularly hits keys on his keyboard so hard that he jams them, unplugs the keyboard and plugs in a new one so he can keep going. And I'm typing on a keyboard of that era. If a key jams (it happens) it is MUCH faster to smack the keyboard and knock it loose than to REPLACE THE KEYBOARD. What does all of this fallacious crap do to further the story - ooooh. these guys are REALLY BAD ASS NERDS. They break keyboards. They type so hard they have calluses. oooooooh. Yep. That absolutely defines hyper computer nerd for me. Oh, and the good-guy hacker did finger-tip push-ups while he was in prison to keep up his finger strength for typing when he got out.

Basically, the writing style is so horribly bad that it kept yanking me out of the story and making me mad at the author. If I ever meet Jeffery Deaver I will have to resist the urge to slap him, because he probably goes to a gym regularly and will kick my nerdy butt, which is why he doesn't actually know anything about computers or the internet, or anyone he could have asked to get it right. ( )
  grizzly.anderson | Apr 30, 2015 |
Written in 2001, a time when the general public was becoming very aware of what computers could do but did not understand how. In this thriller we find the hero to be a computer hacker who is totally immersed in that electronic world, the "Blue Nowhere", and we discover thatr our worst fears coud be realized by way of his keyboarding expertise. Wyatt Gillette had made one bad mistake in his life and was in prison paying for it. His expertise with computers and the software that runs them, makes him invaluable to the police investigating a murder that had been perpetrated by someone who knew all about the victim, information that could only have been stolen from computers that had all her information stored on them.

the plot has lots of twists and turns and provides interesting and fascinating insights into the hackers world. While computers have become more accessible to more people than ever before, the structure of this novel remains as valid today as when it was written - there is danger in The Blue Nowhere. ( )
  WhitmelB | Mar 8, 2015 |
Very outdated, even just a few years after publication. I guess author/editor thought they needed to extremely dumb down and explain computer terminology that is (and was even at the time of publication) fairly well understood (or can be easily discovered without so much heavy handed coddeling in the text). ( )
1 vote john_hunter | Dec 13, 2013 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtoni, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parolini, MauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I say that the brain is a machine, it is meant not as an insult to the mind but as an acknowledgment of the potential of a machine. I do not believe that a human mind is less than what we imagine it to be, but rather that a machine can be much, much more.
--W. Daniel Hillis, The Pattern on the Stone
The battered white van had made her uneasy.
Wanneer ik zeg dat het brein een machine is, is dat niet bedoeld als belediging van de geest maar als een erkenning van de capaciteiten van een machine. Ik geloof niet dat het menselijk brein minder is dan we denken dat het is, maar eerder dat een machine meer, veel meer kan zijn. (W. Daniel Hillis, The Pattern on the stone)
ISBN 0276425936 is for the Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671042262, Mass Market Paperback)

In this 21st century version of the "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral," two computer wizards engage in the kind of high-tech combat that only a hacker could love. Wyatt Gillette, a cybergenius who's never used his phenomenal talent for evil, is sitting in a California jail doing time for a few harmless computer capers when he gets a temporary reprieve--a chance to help the Computer Crimes Unit of the state police nail a cracker (a criminally inclined hacker) called Phate who's using his ingenious program, Trapdoor, to lure innocent victims to their death by infiltrating their computers. Gillette and Phate were once the kings of cyberspace--the Blue Nowhere of the title--but Phate has gone way past the mischievous electronic pranks they once pulled and crossed over to the dark side. While Trapdoor can hack its way into any computer, it's Phate's skill at "social engineering" as well as his remarkable coding ability that makes him such a menace to society. As Wyatt explains to the policeman who springs him from prison so that he can find and stop Phate before he kills again, "It means conning somebody, pretending you're someone you're not. Hackers do it to get access to data bases and phone lines and pass codes. The more facts about somebody you can feed back to them, the more they believe you and the more they'll do what you want them to."

Bestselling author Jeffery Deaver (The Empty Chair, The Devil's Teardrop) ratchets up the suspense one line of code at a time; his terrific pacing drives the narrative to a thrilling and explosive conclusion. This thriller is bound to induce paranoia in anyone who still believes he can hide his deepest secrets from anyone with the means, motive, and modem to ferret them out. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

His code name is Phate -- a sadistic hacker who infiltrates people's computers, invades their lives, and with chilling precision lures them to their deaths. To stop him, the authorities free imprisoned former hacker Wyatt Gillette to aid the investigation. Teamed with old-school homicide detective Frank Bishop. Gillette must combine their disparate talents to catch a brilliant and merciless killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible