The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum

The Bourne Ultimatum (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Ludlum

Series: Bourne (3)

Member:mfagan
Title:The Bourne Ultimatum
Authors:Robert Ludlum
Info:Random House (1990), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 611 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum (1990)

Recently added bySFQ77, Tribble3, -Eva-, MuhammedUnaisP, PearlyBooks, efgentner, Starman_B, Birta, private library, abbyrie3

English (37)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All (40)
I am a stubborn, anal-retentive completionist when it comes to books. If I start it, I finish it. That being said - this is the first novel I have ever started & then given-up on. It really is that bad. I read [b:The Bourne Identity|7812194|The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)|Robert Ludlum|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267668677s/7812194.jpg|859111] & its sequel, [b:The Bourne Supremacy|763597|The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)|Robert Ludlum|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1281832085s/763597.jpg|2508588] & while neither was spectacular, I still enjoyed them. I figured I'd finish the trilogy with Ultimatum. I had noticed the abysmal reviews on Amazon.com, but decided I had to see for myself. I just couldn't bring myself to not read the final volume of [a:Robert Ludlum|5293|Robert Ludlum|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1208465267p2/5293.jpg]'s Bourne trilogy.

Stubbornly, I slogged my way through one-third of the paperback, while also reading [a:Vince Flynn|14989|Vince Flynn|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1237150817p2/14989.jpg]'s [b:Extreme Measures|3313418|Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #9)|Vince Flynn|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1299166292s/3313418.jpg|3351033] on my Nook. That's what finally did it for me. I absolutely love reading anything Flynn writes. The man really knows how to write a page-turner of a thriller. While being so absorbed in one of his novels, I couldn't bear the thought of picking up where I left off in The Bourne Ultimatum. I became painfully aware of the lack of fun in reading it.

Many of the common criticisms of this novel I found to be true. I'm normally not one to be critical, but the dialogue is at times atrocious. I understand that when reading a work of fiction it is sometimes necessary to employ a suspension of disbelief, but considering how Ludlum seeks to write fairly realistic fiction, he failed miserably with Ultimatum. Carlos seemed a fairly believable opponent in Identity, however, I felt that in Ultimatum he was a caricature. Ludlum seems to be incapable of referring to Carlos without the word "Jackal" being in the same paragraph. Funny, I hardly recall the moniker of "The Jackal" being used in Identity. Also, how many times must the reader be reminded that David Webb, aka Jason Bourne, aka "Delta" is over-the-hill in this book. Only 5 years have passed since the events of Supremacy, yet the reader is led to believe that the protagonist who was on top of his game as a 45 year old in Hong Kong & China during the events of the preceding novel is now almost lacking in competence at 50. Identity introduced the concept of Carlos utilizing old men on the streets of Paris as his eyes and ears (in a very believable fashion), yet now 13 years later he seemingly has an endless supply of old men who have nothing better to do with their miserable lives than to throw them away by pursuing Bourne around the world (beyond ridiculous). If Bourne is so inept & Carlos is still "the man" then why does Carlos need so many helpers in his quest to assassinate Bourne? I could go on with a laundry list of complaints, but I really don't feel like spending any more of my time even thinking about this rag.

Bottom line - this book should never have been written. Just read The Bourne Identity, and then The Bourne Supremacy, and assume that David & Marie lived happily ever after following the events of Supremacy. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
Okay, You cannot read one Bourne book without reading the rest. It is a crime. Warning: The book is a MILLION times better than those crappy movies! I see the spy world in a whole new way after this series!!! ( )
  HeidiAngell | Jul 29, 2017 |
Carlos the Jackal is back and gunning for Bourne/Webb. I'd had enough about a man always on the run/hunt. Webb is now 50. Let the guy alone! ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The story is very good and engaging and I would have given it a 4-star rating if not for it being just a bit too wordy for me. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
Monster of book.. finally Carlos the Jackal is killed. too many twists and turn. but it was a good read. rating 3 just for length of the book :-( ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |

Ludlum, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ingwersen, JörnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lahtinen, Aarne T. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlereth, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bobbi and Leonard Raichert, two lovely people who have enriched our lives - Our Thanks
Darkness had descended on Manassas, Virginia, the countryside alive with nocturnal undercurrents, as Bourne crept through the woods bordering the estate of General Norman Swayne.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553287737, Mass Market Paperback)

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

At a small-town carnival, two men, each mysteriously summoned by telegram, witness a bizarre killing. The telegrams are signed “Jason Bourne.” Only they know Bourne’s true identity and understand that the telegrams are really a message from Bourne’s mortal enemy, Carlos, known also as the Jackal, the world’s deadliest and most elusive terrorist. And furthermore, they know what the Jackal wants: a final confrontation with Bourne. Now David Webb, professor of Oriental studies, husband, and father, must do what he hoped never to do again—assume the terrible identity of Jason Bourne. His plan is simple: to infiltrate the politically and economically omnipotent Medusan group and use himself as bait to lure the cunning Jackal into a deadly trap—a trap from which only one of them will escape.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:06 -0400)

A mild-mannered professor is forced to assume again the deadly alter ego he created in Vietnam years ago as part of the Medusa Brigade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,423,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible