Shadow Account (Frey, Stephen) by Stephen…

Shadow Account (Frey, Stephen) (edition 2004)

by Stephen Frey

Member:MaxwellT
Title:Shadow Account (Frey, Stephen)
Authors:Stephen Frey
Info:Ballantine Books (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Shadow Account by Stephen Frey

Recently added byCorduroy7, RoBRaYLeV, ChewDigest, H.B.Oberman.Library, private library

There are moments when this book was just downright tedious reading for me but I was interested in the storyline so I kept on reading and it really wasn't worth it. Very disappointed in this selection.
In looking back on the list of books I've read, I have read two (2) other novels by Stephen W. Frey, "The Successor" and "The Vulture Fund". After reading "The Successor" I knew I would keep reading novels by this author. But after reading "The Vulture Fund", I had to add in my review that ..."I think the 'dub' of Stephen W. Frey as the 'Grisham of financial thrillers' to be quite premature. Perhaps I'll try another title by this author this year but it will be awhile." Well, I waited about 6 months and tried "Shadow Account". It will be longer than 6 months before I try another novel by this author. Perhaps if you're an accountant, enthralled with the behind-the-scenes corporate financial reporting, or enthralled with behind-the-scenes politics of presidential election preparation, you might love this book. None of those items are at the top of my interest list. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Stephen Frey
  jsharvison | Sep 23, 2011 |
Stephen Frey
  jsharvison | Sep 23, 2011 |
On the whole, the plot was fairly transparent, but interesting enough to keep reading. Many of the shadowy figures pursuing Connor weren’t connected directly and it was interesting to see how the whole thing was orchestrated. Of course, there is a “girl friday” of sorts who helps him uncover critical evidence. She’s been a friend for years and, of course, has always secretly loved him and only after her life is threatened does he realize he loves her, too. The very end is contrived and smarmy (I’m going to propose to her on the beach in Hawaii – barf).
  Bookmarque | Aug 17, 2009 |
Disappointing, but I read until the end and then laughed at myself for doing so. If you are reading this review to decide whether or not to read this book next - my recommendation is grab another book from your stacks.

The storyline is more fantasy (silly) with a splash of romance than thriller. It is unfortunate because the storyline could have been solid with a bit more focus and character development.

So many books and so little time - pass on this one unless you have a need to read every book Stephen Frey puts his name to. ( )
  Grandeplease | Oct 23, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345457595, Mass Market Paperback)

His novels of big money and murder in the world of finance have earned New York Times bestselling author Stephen Frey a richly deserved reputation as a master of suspense who always delivers a high yield. Now he raises the stakes, and the risk factor, in a new thriller that pits a young Wall Street player against corporate conspiracy and White House intrigue—in a dangerous game of double crosses, dirty tricks, and deadly consequences.

An investment banker in the maverick firm Phenix Capital, Conner Ashby is doing all right for himself. At twenty-seven, he’s practically the right-hand man of the company’s founder—a wealthy old pro looking to make a big comeback on The Street while grooming Conner for a place at the top. Between his career and his gorgeous girlfriend, it’s a good life, with every indication of getting even better—until a wayward E-mail crosses Conner’s computer, and plunges his near-perfect world into a terrifying downward spiral.

“The ‘operation’ is way out of hand. If we don’t do something, it’s going to detonate.” It’s a communication not meant for Conner’s eyes, between people he doesn’t know, about a company he’s never heard of—a company that’s engaged in corporate fraud on a massive scale. With no way to trace the E-mail, it’s impossible for Conner to act on the volatile discovery. But with millions of dollars at stake, high-powered careers in the balance, and hell to pay if the truth comes out, whoever clicked the “send” button by mistake isn’t about to take any chances. And for Conner, the evening that began in the arms of a beautiful woman ends in a harrowing race for his life.

As he follows a twisting trail of misdeeds and misinformation that stretches nationwide, Conner slowly uncovers a shocking plot as undeniably real as the gunshot wound in his arm. Now, surviving will mean struggling to expose the truth as relentlessly as his shadowy enemies seek to conceal it— and fighting for his life as ruthlessly as those determined to end it.

At every unexpected turn, Shadow Account deftly reveals Stephen Frey’s many and considerable gifts: his genius for plotting, his mastery of suspense, and his unmatched insight into the dark territory where finance meets felony, money meets mortality, and profit and loss are matters of life and death.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:05 -0400)

Accidentally receiving an e-mail that reveals a massive corporate fraud, investment banker Conner Ashby finds himself targeted by the e-mail's sender, forcing him to race for his life as he uncovers a trail of nation-wide misdeeds.

72 avail.1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible