The Gold Bug by Edgar Allan Poe

The Gold Bug (1843)

by Edgar Allan Poe

English (6)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (8)
Short story. A man decodes a cryptographed message. According to Wikipedia, Poe played a role in popularizing cryptography. ( )
  ohernaes | Jun 6, 2014 |
This edition includes the stories, "The Sphinx" and "William Wilson," in addition to "The Gold Bug." Each story had an interesting ending, but I had a tough time getting into the rhythm of each one. I wonder if it's a matter of "practicing" reading Poe. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
I think I actually read this short story for the first time in middle school, but I didn't remember anything about it until I read it again this afternoon. It's a pretty decent story, one that gets better as it progresses. I thought the riddle was quite interesting, and who doesn't like a treasure-hunting adventure story? There is some tough dialect and old school racism in here though, which might make a lot of readers uncomfortable (the whole "black people are stupid and don't know their right from left" thing left a really bad taste in my mouth). Pretty good, but not Poe's best. ( )
  agirlnamedfury | Mar 29, 2013 |
This was a great short story. I'd heard and seen it in different forms, but reading it was special, and I learned something. I would bet that I could now solve a cryptogram puzzle thanks to the detailed lesson in the book! To add to the entertainment value, I listened to the text to speech Kindle option as I read along, and it was a laugh hearing Jupiter's lines. Not bad, the pirate angle, too. Pirates, code cracking, Poe- what could be better? I know it sounds like I am being facetious, but I really did enjoy it. Poe is my favorite author, he makes my skin crawl and makes me laugh at times. ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
This is a novella about an estranged man living on an island off the coast of Charleston, Souh Carolina, who discovers a mysterious golden bug with the outline of a skull on its back. He subsequently finds a map with the bug on it, which leads him to buried pirate treasure. This was a trivial story that wasn't worth the time spent reading it. ( )
1 vote kidzdoc | Sep 19, 2009 |
This is a short story, do NOT combine with the collection.

The discovery of a message in code on a shoreline formerly infested with pirates sends William Legrand and his friends on a hunt for buried treasure.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,008,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible