Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Girl, Interrupted (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Susanna Kaysen

Member:The_Kat_Cache
Title:Girl, Interrupted
Authors:Susanna Kaysen
Info:Vintage (1994), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned books, In my apartment, Read in 2012
Tags:read, read in 2012, own, non-fiction, autobiography, psychology

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen (1993)

English (89)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (91)
I have never seen the movie that was based on this book. I was expecting something a little different and I don't know why. I thought the book was okay but I think this may be one of those books where the movie adaptation better captures the authors message behind the book. I am going to rent the movie to find out. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I was just simply not impressed. What was her point? She bitches about being "committed" in one breath and then thanks God in the next that she has been. She committed herself. She could have walked out at any time so if she could have walked out at any time, so if she was so normal, why didn't she? And later she describes self-mutilating behavior and seems to insist that it was no big deal. I found the author to still be struggling with some serious demons. This book did not help to exorcise them because it was purely self-delusional. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
This book had an intricate description of an insane asylum which made it interesting. I enjoy reading about the complex society that functions in these institutes and Kaysen delivered. Susanna's mental illness changed her, but so did the asylum. Would read again. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Did I love this book because I was in a particular bad mood that day or because it is indeed good? I guess I'll never know, but this book most definitely gives you something to think about. Don't you just love when something makes you think? At times I finished paragraphs and had to stop to try and understand. And then I'd keep on reading and stop to try to understand it better. This hit close to home. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
For Ingrid and Sanford
People ask, How did you get in there?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679746048, Paperback)

When reality got "too dense" for 18-year-old Susanna Kaysen, she was hospitalized. It was 1967, and reality was too dense for many people. But few who are labeled mad and locked up for refusing to stick to an agreed-upon reality possess Kaysen's lucidity in sorting out a maelstrom of contrary perceptions. Her observations about hospital life are deftly rendered; often darkly funny. Her clarity about the complex province of brain and mind, of neuro-chemical activity and something more, make this book of brief essays an exquisite challenge to conventional thinking about what is normal and what is deviant.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

In 1967, after a session with a psychiatrist she'd never seen before, eighteen-year-old Susanna Kaysen was put in a taxi and sent to McLean Hospital. She spent most of the next two years on the ward for teenage girls in a psychiatric hospital as renowned for its famous clientele--Sylvia Plath, Robert Lowell, James Taylor, and Ray Charles--as for its progressive methods of treating those who could afford its sanctuary. Kaysen's memoir encompasses horror and razor-edged perception while providing vivid portraits of her fellow patients and their keepers. It is a brilliant evocation of a "parallel universe" set within the kaleidoscopically shifting landscape of the late sixties. Girl, Interrupted is a clear-sighted, unflinching document that gives lasting and specific dimension to our definitions of sane and insane, mental illness and recovery.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible