Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow

Ghost in the Shell

by Masamune Shirow

Akira - Volume 1 by Katsuhiro Ōtomo (jannis)
    Appleseed, Vol. 01: The Promethean Challenge by Masamune Shirow (jannis)
    The Ghost in the Shell 2 Deluxe Edition by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Carries over themes from the original, with mostly color printouts and great use of CG on beautiful glossy pages
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.

English (14)  French (1)  All (15)
This a big disappointment. It's a confused mess! Acronyms and names are thrown out with no explanation while the footnotes and author's notes fuss over pointless technical details. Half the time I couldn't figure out what was going or why the characters were running around killing people and blowing stuff up. It's almost as if there were earlier volumes that the author thinks we've all read so there's no need to explain who is who or what is going on.

Also I was really annoyed by the depiction of the female characters. They were all like mostly-naked Barbie dolls! The way the nurses were dressed was particularly ridiculous: a bit 80's Madonna, a bit BDSM/fetish, and a bit French maid (except instead of a skirt they're all wearing tiny lacy panties that instantly made me think "Those would ride right up your butt after 2 minutes AND be itchy as hell"). After that I couldn't get the image of the author as a sweaty pubescent boy creating this comic for other sweaty boys out of my mind.

I gave 2 stars instead of 1 solely for the artwork. ( )
1 vote EnidaV | Oct 11, 2016 |
While I will admit much of the text and jargon was confusing due to the technical spillage and information overload, I have always been a huge fan of the anime and OVA's, so this graphic novel was a fantastic look at how it all began. I was delighted to see Major was a little bit goofier than her more-recent serious counterpart in the anime, but also equally glad to see that Batou began as he remains. While I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, mostly because I do believe you have to have an understanding of what this series means in order to appreciate it, I strongly feel that this graphic novel can be considered as one of the best ones to have ever been developed. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Honestly the movie is better; the graphic novel spends too much time on politics and not enough on the philosophical issues of cyborg humanity. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
If William Gibson is a legend of cyberpunk than so is Masamune Shirow. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 20, 2013 |
Not really enjoying this so far. Was recommended to me because it had a kick-ass female heroine, but it's a sci-fi book where you jump right in the middle of things, and I'm having a really hard time figuring the world out.

ETA: A few chapters in, it goes through an explanation of cyborgs, and after that it was easier to get into. I still had a really hard time keeping track of the characters. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |

The beautiful and deadly Major Kusanagi and her crack team of Japanese internal-affairs operatives are sent to investigate a government factory with questionable labour practices. As it turns out, their labour practices aren't the only thing to be questioned.--Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible