The Real Price of War by Joshua S. Goldstein

The Real Price of War (2004)

by Joshua S. Goldstein

13None1,068,845 (4)None

No reviews

Are Americans in denial about the costs of the War on Terror? In The Real Price of War, Joshua S. Goldstein argues that we need to face up to what the war is costing the average American -- both in taxes and in changes to our way of life. Goldstein contends that in order to protect the United States from devastating future attacks, we must fight -- and win -- the War on Terror, and we need money to fight the war quickly and well. Goldstein critiques President Bush's promises of national security, made even as his administration is cutting taxes and increasing deficit spending. The result is too little money to eradicate terrorism and a crippling burden of national debt for future generations to pay.

The Real Price of War breaks down billion-dollar government expenditures into the prices individual Americans are paying. Goldstein estimates that the average American household currently pays $500 each month to finance war. Beyond the dollars and cents that finance military operations and increased security within the United States, the War on Terror also costs America in less tangible ways, including lost lives, reduced revenue from international travelers, and budget pressures on health care and education. The longer the war continues, the greater these costs. In order to win the war faster, Goldstein argues for an increase in war funding, at a cost of about $100 per household per month, to better fund military spending, homeland security, and foreign aid and diplomacy.

Bush has told America that the War on Terror is a war without sacrifice, one we can win without raising taxes. Goldstein emphatically counters these arguments, telling readers, "These truths should be self-evident: The nation is at war. The war is expensive. Someone has to pay for it." As The Real Price of War argues, we need to pay for the War on Terror today, in order to win the war -- and secure our country -- as soon as possible.

Are Americans in denial about the costs of the War on Terror? In The Real Price of War, Joshua S. Goldstein argues that we need to face up to what the war costs the average American—both in taxes and in changes to our way of life. Goldstein contends that in order to protect the United States from future attacks, we must fight—and win—the War on Terror. Yet even as President Bush campaigns on promises of national security, his administration is cutting taxes and increasing deficit spending, resulting in too little money to eradicate terrorism and a crippling burden of national debt for future generations to pay.

The Real Price of War breaks down billion-dollar government expenditures into the prices individual Americans are paying through their taxes. Goldstein estimates that the average American household currently pays $500 each month to finance war. Beyond the dollars and cents that finance military operations and increased security within the U.S., the War on Terror also costs America in less tangible ways, including lost lives, reduced revenue from international travelers, and budget pressures on local governments. The longer the war continues, the greater these costs. In order to win the war faster, Goldstein argues for an increase in war funding, at a cost of about $100 per household per month, to better fund military spending, homeland security, and foreign aid and diplomacy.

Americans have been told that the War on Terror is a war without sacrifice. But as Goldstein emphatically states: “These truths should be self-evident: The nation is at war. The war is expensive. Someone has to pay for it.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible