Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Pot Pies: Comfort Food Under Cover

by Diane Phillips

Eighty-five deliciously easy recipes for the quintessential comfort food, updated and dressed up for the twenty-first-century palate. All of us grew up with pot pies--homemade if we were lucky, otherwise store-bought. Either way, we all remember breaking through that flaky, buttery crust to get at the steaming, creamy chicken or beef or vegetables inside. Pot pies are, in fact, the ultimate comfort food, conjuring up images of Mom in the kitchen and a milk-and-cookies kind of world. Now, at the turn of the century, Diane Phillips brings pot pies back into our lives. And like us, they've grown up, developed a sophistication and a range of tastes and styles. But at the same time, they remain just as comforting, soothing, and satisfying as the ones we remember with so much affection. InPot Pies: Comfort Food Under Cover, you'll find recipes for poultry, meat, seafood, and vegetable pies, with flavors from Asian to French to Italian to Latino, Southwestern, Cajun, and plain old all-American. They may be covered in potatoes, like Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie with Chive Mashed Potato Crust; biscuits, like Mom's Beef Stew Topped with Sage Parmesan Biscuits; noodles, as in Oriental Chicken and Vegetables Topped with Noodle Pancake; cheese (Mediterranean Shrimp Pie with a Feta Crust); or even rice (Zucchini Pie with Parmesan Rice Crust). Whatever the filling or topping, you'll find wonderful, savory flavors peeking out from under an equally tasty cover. Now, at the turn of this century, Diane Phillips brings pot pies back into our lives. And, like us, they've grown up, developed a sophistication and a range of tastes and styles. But at the same time, they remain just as comforting, soothing, and satisfying as the ones we remember with so much affection. In POT PIES: COMFORT FOOD UNDER COVER, you'll find recipes for poultry, meat, seafood, and vegetarian pies, with flavors from Asian to French to Italian to Latino, Southwestern, Cajun, and plain-old all-American. They may be covered in potatoes, like Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie with Chive Mashed Potato Crust; biscuits, like Mom's Beef Stew Topped with Sage Parmesan Biscuits; noodles, as in Oriental Chicken and Vegetables Topped with Noodle Pancake;  cheese (Mediterranean Shrimp Pie with a Feta Crust); or even rice (Zucchini Pie with Parmesan Rice Crust). Whatever the filling or topping, you'll find wonderful, savory flavors peeking out from under an equally tasty cover. -->… (more)

My first reaction to pot pies: Comfort Food Under Cover by Diane Phillips was quite positive, in fact, so positive that I wrote the following even before I settled down to take a closer look. “Most pot pies feature a flour-cased crust, which sometimes contains a bit of flavoring. Indeed, this book’s cover depicts a pot pie that appears to have a puff-pastry top crust. Therefore, it came as a pleasant surprise to see that the crusts in this book are quite unusual and planned to complement the fillings.”

More careful scrutiny altered my opinion. First, what is the definition of pot pie? I don’t know how a stir-fry topped with a noodle pancake just before serving can be called a pot pie. And is meatloaf topped with mashed potatoes a pot pie? How about a mixture that is topped with mixture of crumbs and cheese? I don’t think so. The more I looked at the recipes, the more bizarre the title seemed. Yes, the combinations are usually tasty, but many are not pot pies.

It also occurs to me that many of these recipes are a lot of work. Not only does one have to create the filling, but one has to create a special mixture for the top “crust”. So, instead of having the filling mixture with a relatively simple side dish, one has to cook two special mixtures.

In addition, there are editorial glitches. One pervasive one is that the directions for topping the fillings are not in the same place from recipe to recipe. It may be in the directions for the filling, or it may be in the directions for the topping, or it may be in both. I often had to deliberately look for the instruction. But that is not the only editorial issue. Another example” “[f] in the whipping cream” instead of “fold in the whipped cream”. ( )
  ErstwhileEditor | Oct 9, 2017 |
tuscan chicken is awesome! ( )
  Kelliott | Jun 20, 2010 |
Out of all my cookbooks, this is my favorite. And while I haven't managed to cook all the recipies, I suspect that all of them are an amazing treat. A broken food processor lid left me without a way to make these for while, as many are easiest made with one, and I really went without! This is comfort food with a gourmet flair. They are wonderful to prepare ahead for guests or dinner parties. If you have a housewarming to go to or a young (or old couple) getting married to buy for, this is just a wonderful book.

Life is short. Good food made well is a pleasure. It's the little thing in life. And this is a book of little things that bring real pleasure. Get it for yourself and those you love or want to see chewing slowly, eyes rolled back in their head, in a state of nearly obscene ecstacy! ( )
  nlaurent | Jan 16, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,670,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible