I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

I Know This Much is True

by Wally Lamb

7,623122446 (4.12)1 / 135

English (119)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (122)
I Know This Much Is True is certainly not a happy book. There are a lot of terrible things that happen in it. There’s plenty of sadness and hardship. But it’s the kind of story you’re glad you stuck with when at last you reach the final page. It was just the right balance for me. If long, sustained stories are your thing, I think you’d like I Know This Much Is True.

Full review is posted on Erin Reads.
  erelsi183 | Apr 25, 2014 |
Did not particularly enjoy this book, but it was an Oprah selection if you like those. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 24, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were so real that they continue to live on in my mind weeks after I finished the book. There were times during this book that I laughed and times that I cried. Even though Thomas is the twin in the mental hospital, Dominick, who always felt it was his job to take care of his brother, is having a major meltdown due to all the trauma in his life. This is the story of twin brothers who both deal with the demons in their lives. It is a long but absolutely fantastic book and should is a must-read! ( )
  susan0316 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Loved this book (read in 2000). My favorite passage:
“I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family’s, and my country’s past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things.
This much, at least, I’ve figured out. I know this much is true.” ( )
  Becky221 | Jan 13, 2014 |
Lamb gets into his characters' heads better than anyone. He manages to make you care about all of his characters in spite of their flaws. A well-crafted story about mental illness, love and healing. ( )
1 vote cmasson17 | Dec 5, 2013 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my father and my sons.
On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother Thomas entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut Public LIbrary, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable.
"That's the trouble with survival of the fittest ... The corpse at your feet. That little inconvenience."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060987561, Paperback)

Tony award-winning Ken Howard (1776, Child's Play) reads I Know This Much Is True with the conviction of a used car salesman and the charm of a seasoned politico. Reminiscent of a former football coach recalling his glory days, Howard's booming, rich voice is a beefy compliment to Lamb's powerful prose. Never to be mistaken as a ventriloquist, Howard makes little distinction when moving in and out of character--his voice barely cracks an octave for dainty female personalities. However, this understatement (so to speak) lends to smooth transitions and believable, down-to-earth narration. (Running time: six hours, four cassettes) --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:30 -0400)

Dominick Birdsey, a forty-year-old housepainter living in Three Rivers, Connecticut, finds his life greatly disturbed when his identical twin brother Thomas, a paranoid schizophrenic, commits a shocking act of self-mutilation.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible