I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

I Know This Much is True

by Wally Lamb

7,947132411 (4.12)1 / 141

English (129)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (132)
This book is one of my all time favorite novels. I only read it because it was recommended by Oprah and I am so glad I did. I hadn't heard of the author at the time and have since read all his books, they haven't lived up to this one unfortunately. This tale of a family saga was moving as you take the journey with them and connect. I laughed and cried reading this book. It is on my shelf and writing this review makes me want to re-read it. If you haven't read this book you are missing out on a great. ( )
  Nemorn | Sep 20, 2015 |
What can you say about a novel that starts out with a suicide, includes a monkey with an almost incestuous relationship, and a young man who comes of age, along with the other characters who mature through the story? This one is a keeper to reread in my old age. ( )
  Cleoxcat | May 28, 2015 |
Excellent story about mental illness and the effects on a whole family. A bit long and one I could put down and pick back up, but very well written. ( )
  NHNick | May 9, 2015 |
Son of a timid woman, stepson of a hard man, identical twin of a paranoid schizophrenic...Dominick Birdsey is both a sympathetic yet unlikeable protagonist, if that's even possible. He's so angry at weakness but doesn't stand up for it. Instead, he tramples upon it, takes advantage of it, allows himself to gain from it. However, as the story moves along and as he suffers through exceedingly difficult trials, there are people placed in his path that challenge him to become better. And he does. It's poignant. It's slow. It's certainly the growth process that we see in real life rather than the quick fix we find in many novels. It's painful to read but told so beautifully that I can't do anything but recommend it. I've become a true Wally Lamb fan. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 8, 2015 |
A unique and unforgettable reading experience...pleasantly surprised with little bits of Magical Realism! ( )
  myra.reads | Dec 25, 2014 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my father and my sons.
On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother Thomas entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut Public LIbrary, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable.
"That's the trouble with survival of the fittest ... The corpse at your feet. That little inconvenience."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060987561, Paperback)

Tony award-winning Ken Howard (1776, Child's Play) reads I Know This Much Is True with the conviction of a used car salesman and the charm of a seasoned politico. Reminiscent of a former football coach recalling his glory days, Howard's booming, rich voice is a beefy compliment to Lamb's powerful prose. Never to be mistaken as a ventriloquist, Howard makes little distinction when moving in and out of character--his voice barely cracks an octave for dainty female personalities. However, this understatement (so to speak) lends to smooth transitions and believable, down-to-earth narration. (Running time: six hours, four cassettes) --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

Dominick Birdsey, a forty-year-old housepainter living in Three Rivers, Connecticut, finds his life greatly disturbed when his identical twin brother Thomas, a paranoid schizophrenic, commits a shocking act of self-mutilation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible