I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

I Know This Much is True

by Wally Lamb

7,843130428 (4.12)1 / 137

English (127)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (130)
Excellent story about mental illness and the effects on a whole family. A bit long and one I could put down and pick back up, but very well written. ( )
  NHNick | May 9, 2015 |
Son of a timid woman, stepson of a hard man, identical twin of a paranoid schizophrenic...Dominick Birdsey is both a sympathetic yet unlikeable protagonist, if that's even possible. He's so angry at weakness but doesn't stand up for it. Instead, he tramples upon it, takes advantage of it, allows himself to gain from it. However, as the story moves along and as he suffers through exceedingly difficult trials, there are people placed in his path that challenge him to become better. And he does. It's poignant. It's slow. It's certainly the growth process that we see in real life rather than the quick fix we find in many novels. It's painful to read but told so beautifully that I can't do anything but recommend it. I've become a true Wally Lamb fan. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 8, 2015 |
A unique and unforgettable reading experience...pleasantly surprised with little bits of Magical Realism! ( )
  myra.reads | Dec 25, 2014 |
Another favorite author! ( )
  ShiraR | Nov 6, 2014 |
I was ready for a thick, involved book and this was the perfect story. It is one that haunts me still. There were times that I really disliked the book - REALLY disliked it!! But, I couldn't stop!

Dominick is a twin. That descriptor has defined him through his entire life. Being a twin brings to mind pleasant images of shared secrets and moments. That is not the life of Dominick and his twin Thomas. The book opens with Thomas cutting off his hand in a public library to protest the Gulf War. Yes, cutting off his hand.

This is a culmination of Thomas' life with mental illness. His defining moment in the stacks of the library. Thomas is convinced that this event will force the world leaders to pause and rethink their march to world destruction. But, this event also defined the moment start of the end for both Dominick and Andrew.

The book then is about the journey from that moment for Dominick - the road to understanding of his own limits and the road to healing as he fights to keep Thomas safe and deal with both is mother's death and her refusal to admit how his real father was.

Buried in this is the story of Dominck and Thomas' grandfather - a story that had been translated from Italian and uncovers the tendrils of mental illness from past generations.

I gotta say - I cried and sighed and wrote down the final lines of this book! I LOVED it!!! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my father and my sons.
On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother Thomas entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut Public LIbrary, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable.
"That's the trouble with survival of the fittest ... The corpse at your feet. That little inconvenience."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060987561, Paperback)

Tony award-winning Ken Howard (1776, Child's Play) reads I Know This Much Is True with the conviction of a used car salesman and the charm of a seasoned politico. Reminiscent of a former football coach recalling his glory days, Howard's booming, rich voice is a beefy compliment to Lamb's powerful prose. Never to be mistaken as a ventriloquist, Howard makes little distinction when moving in and out of character--his voice barely cracks an octave for dainty female personalities. However, this understatement (so to speak) lends to smooth transitions and believable, down-to-earth narration. (Running time: six hours, four cassettes) --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:30 -0400)

Dominick Birdsey, a forty-year-old housepainter living in Three Rivers, Connecticut, finds his life greatly disturbed when his identical twin brother Thomas, a paranoid schizophrenic, commits a shocking act of self-mutilation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,228,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible