dismiss

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

I Know This Much is True

by Wally Lamb

9,116153565 (4.1)1 / 156
Dominick Birdsey, a forty-year-old housepainter living in Three Rivers, Connecticut, finds his life greatly disturbed when his identical twin brother Thomas, a paranoid schizophrenic, commits a shocking act of self-mutilation.

English (150)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (153)
"That's when I knew what [he] was against. That's when I felt it for myself: the spike against flesh, the hammer's piercing thud."
  AAAO | Jan 29, 2020 |
This book seemed to be long and a bit hard going at times, however, the more I read the more I wanted to read, even though there had been points when I felt like giving up.
It was worth persevering. It is a sad but at times an uplifting story of complex mental health issues and family problems.
It is a long book and not one that you can skip through.
I loved the ending ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
This much I know is true by Wally Lamb is a story of family love and forgiveness. Growing up, Dominick was the stronger and more "normal" twin brother to Thomas. Dominick simultaneously loves and hates Thomas, defending him and considering him a millstone around his neck, especially as Thomas develops schizophrenia. Written with sensitivity to Dominick's conflict and the effect it has on his life the novel follows the events that lead to unlocking family secrets and allow Dominick to finally find and accept himself. ( )
  steller0707 | Aug 25, 2019 |
Words fail to describe this novel.

I think the closest thing is "family epic," but perhaps in not the way you expect. The novel follows Dominick who is struggling to put the pieces of his life together while everything falls apart. I went into the book knowing nothing, and maybe it's best you do the same, because describing what happens is only going to bore you. It doesn't sound like anything special, but it is. It's a story of a man, being his brother's keeper. It's a story of a man, trying to find his father. It's a story of a man, falling apart so he can put himself back together.

It's a story about life, plain and simple as that.

But it's astoundingly beautiful.

I tore through pages, reading them as fast as my eyes allowed, yet I read very few a day because I had to rest, had to let the story sit with me, so I could contemplate its meanings. It's a sad story, without a doubt, but I think there's a glimmer of hope in it too.

It will hurt, but it will be worth reading. Trust me. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my father and my sons.
On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother Thomas entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut Public LIbrary, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable.
"That's the trouble with survival of the fittest ... The corpse at your feet. That little inconvenience."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,627,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible