I Know This Much Is True (Oprah's Book Club)…

I Know This Much Is True (Oprah's Book Club) (edition 1999)

by Wally Lamb

8,854150548 (4.1)1 / 156
Member:kikireader
Title:I Know This Much Is True (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Wally Lamb
Info:Harper Perennial (1999), Paperback, 912 pages
Tags:own, unread

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

English (147)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (150)
Words fail to describe this novel.

I think the closest thing is "family epic," but perhaps in not the way you expect. The novel follows Dominick who is struggling to put the pieces of his life together while everything falls apart. I went into the book knowing nothing, and maybe it's best you do the same, because describing what happens is only going to bore you. It doesn't sound like anything special, but it is. It's a story of a man, being his brother's keeper. It's a story of a man, trying to find his father. It's a story of a man, falling apart so he can put himself back together.

It's a story about life, plain and simple as that.

But it's astoundingly beautiful.

I tore through pages, reading them as fast as my eyes allowed, yet I read very few a day because I had to rest, had to let the story sit with me, so I could contemplate its meanings. It's a sad story, without a doubt, but I think there's a glimmer of hope in it too.

It will hurt, but it will be worth reading. Trust me. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |
This was one of the best books I've ever read. If you have a loved one who is paranoid schizophrenic you should read this book. You will find that what you are feeling is natural whether it be anger, guilt, grief, frustration or just helpless. This book is not just about schizophrenia, there is a riveting story throughout. It's a long story, 900 pages, and when you have to put it down you will find yourself wondering what is going to happen next. 5 stars! ( )
  DeniseLouise | Oct 10, 2018 |
This is one of those books that is a book with a capital "B". This has two stories going at the same time, wonderful writing, great characters..... it's just got it all. I was actually glad that this book was so long because I enjoyed every page of this one. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
This remains one of my all time favorites. The connection you feel with the characters are real and tug at your heart. This was my introduction to Wally Lamb novels and I have yet to find one the measures up to this although I continue to look. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my father and my sons.
On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother Thomas entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut Public LIbrary, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable.
"That's the trouble with survival of the fittest ... The corpse at your feet. That little inconvenience."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060987561, Paperback)

Tony award-winning Ken Howard (1776, Child's Play) reads I Know This Much Is True with the conviction of a used car salesman and the charm of a seasoned politico. Reminiscent of a former football coach recalling his glory days, Howard's booming, rich voice is a beefy compliment to Lamb's powerful prose. Never to be mistaken as a ventriloquist, Howard makes little distinction when moving in and out of character--his voice barely cracks an octave for dainty female personalities. However, this understatement (so to speak) lends to smooth transitions and believable, down-to-earth narration. (Running time: six hours, four cassettes) --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

Dominick Birdsey, a forty-year-old housepainter living in Three Rivers, Connecticut, finds his life greatly disturbed when his identical twin brother Thomas, a paranoid schizophrenic, commits a shocking act of self-mutilation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible