Thorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs

Thorn in My Heart (2003)

by Liz Curtis Higgs

A fun retelling of the Jacob/Esau, Rachel/Leah story, but based in Scotland in the late 1700s. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Did ugly cry while reading. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
I absoutely loved this book. The way Liz Curtis Higgs wrote this book was so interesting to me and I couldn't put it down! There were things that happened that surprised me, even though I know the biblical story it is based off of which is Jacob and Esau. Wonderful book, very excited to read the next one! ( )
  theadawn | Mar 22, 2011 |
The title of this novel is very apt, because after reading it, I truly feel as though I have a thorn in my heart regarding how I feel about the story. It’s based on the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, so the plot will be familiar to any who know that tale. As I haven’t read it before, the way the story unfolded was new to me, so I found it both frustrating and interesting to read.

I felt myself simultaneously liking and disliking most of the characters in the story, watching their actions and the consequences of said actions was extremely difficult for me to see. I mean, even though I haven’t read the story in which this is based, I still can see how foolish the decisions of each character are. It’s common sense!

To read the rest of my review, please visit:
http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=1799 ( )
  dorolerium | Nov 22, 2010 |
Masterfully written! I couldn't put it down. My all-time favorite historical novel series! ( )
  mattsgirl | Jun 10, 2009 |
To Sara Fortenberry
"Breathe not a word of my visit, Jean."

In the autumn of 1788, amid the moors and glens of the Scottish Lowlands, two brothers fight to claim one father's blessing, two sisters long to claim one man's heart.

Leana slipped beneath the woolen covers, leaving one taper burning high on the dresser where it would not disturb her slumber. Clouds had moved in and blotted out the moon, for the window was dark, and her whole room, except for the tiny flame, remained pitch black. "As dark as a Yule midnight," Neda would say.

Darkness was nothing to fear. Far greater fears gnawed on Leana's soul. A life without love, without a husband, without children. For her it was no life at all. But what if that was the life the Almighty had chosen for her? If it pleased him, could she bear it?

"Wise, heart wrenching, and ultimately triumphant. I couldn't put it down." - Francine Rivers, author of Redeeming Love

"A moving account of love, deception, redemption, and hope. I was hooked from the first page."
- Tracie Peterson, author of Treasures of the North

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157856512X, Paperback)

Two brothers fight to claim one father’s blessing.
Two sisters long to claim one man’s heart.

In the autumn of 1788, amid the moors and glens of the Scottish Lowlands, two brothers and two sisters each embark on a painful journey of discovery.

Jamie and Evan McKie both want their father Alec’s flocks and lands, yet only one brother will inherit Glentrool. Leana and Rose McBride both yearn to catch the eye of the same handsome lad, yet only one sister will be his bride.
A thorny love triangle emerges, plagued by lies and deception, jealousy and desire, hidden secrets and broken promises. Brimming with passion and drama, Thorn in My Heart brings the past to vibrant life, revealing spiritual truths that transcend time and penetrate the deepest places of the heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:47 -0400)

The story of the biblical Jacob reimagined in an historical Scottish setting.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,362,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible