Sebastian by Anne Bishop
1,196476,704 (3.75)62

Audiobook
2 stars for the first half, I struggled to stay focused and interested. there was a lot of telling, lectures form characters, little action.
3.5 stars for the second half. All the issues they lectured about, talked about, worried about, wondered about stated happening. They happened fast, and the characters were forced to make a choice. I was engaged. I needed to know what this great evil thing happening was and how far it could go. Could it win ? It was bad, really bad, which I loved till the end when it did a major 360 in personality ?!?! I give that ending a 1.5 star for that wimp out.
I did download book 2. Why ? I may want to know what a certain group of tricksters is up to. May, I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series. ( )
  TheYodamom | May 13, 2016 |
Ephemera is a world that is ever changing and yet constant as well. Constant in it's will to bring about the joining of those hearts that belong together and ever-changing in its presence, it is broken into hundreds of pieces connected by bridges and hearts. Sebastian himself is half incubus although he believes he is more human than demon and after reading the book I can't help but agree to that statement, he doesn't do anything that could be classified as truly bad or too terribly erotic, it's all vanilla but still amazing. Lynnea is a catalyst, changing the world with her very presence, changing Sebastian with her wish to be loved. Glorianna Belladonna is a game changer, filled with both the Light and Darkness that threads through this ever-changing world, a Landscaper who can bend the world to her will or is bent by the world to its own agenda. This book was worth the read, definitely. The world created by the author is both beautiful and dark, I believe it drew me right on in and invited me to stay. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
This was really terrible. Anne Bishop is known for writing id-fulfillment in fantasy novels, complete with as many abused Mary Sues as possible. I expected lots of fluffy titilation with very little substance (no real plot or cohesive world building, I mean), but I was annoyed at how boring and dull the would-be-titilation was. Sebastion is an incubus living in a world created specifically to cater to "dark desires", and yet all he does is have bland sex with women. No kinks, no gender-play, certainly nothing homoerotic (dammit)--the most depraved thing he does is eat cheesy bread shaped like sexual organs. The Den of Iniquity is supposedly terribly shameless and lascivious, yet all that apparently happens there is lame het sex. A single murder sends all the residents into a tizzy. And no one worries about money! Everything is provided by Gloriana Belladonna, a beautiful, abused-as-a-child enchantress. (Note: In Anne Bishop stories, *everyone* is abused as a child.) There's no tension or grit to this book. Even the big terrible monster is A)not scary in the least and B)clearly going to lose, undoubtedly due to some deus ex machina. Ugh. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
All of Anne Bishop's writing (that I've read) have the same themes: men vs. women, power, connection to the natural world. Someone said her writing is "Id-fueled." I'm not sure I agree, but I can't disagree either. Sebastian is engaging and fast paced, but a little worn. The Ephemera series doesn't read any differently from the Black Jewels or Tir Alainn series. Men work to destroy women (and their male allies). One woman hides a powerful secret AND holds the fate of the world in her hands. ( )
1 vote lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
Long ago, in a time that has faded from memory, a mother's tears forged the bridge that, ever after, connected the power of the living, ever-changing world to the human heart. - Myth
For Pat York who crossed over to other landscapes. I'm glad you were part of my life.
Standing at the kitchen counter, Sebastian closed his eyes and inhaled slowly and deeply to savor the smell of freshly ground koffea beans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451460960, Mass Market Paperback)

Long ago, Ephemera was split into a dizzying number of magical lands-connected only by bridges that may take you where you truly belong, rather than where you had intended to go. In one such land, where night reigns and demons dwell, the half-incubus Sebastian revels in dark delights. But in dreams she calls to him: a woman who wants only to be safe and loved-a woman he hungers for while knowing he may destroy her.And an even more devastating destiny awaits him, for an ancient evil is stirring-and Sebastian's realm may be the first to fall.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

In a world of shifting lands connected only by bridges, the magic of the Landscapers keeps Ephemera stable, until dark and seductive dreams lure Sebastian, a half-incubus, to search for the woman of his visions, and the evil Eater of the World escapes its prison, threatening all with destruction.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,242,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible