Sebastian

by Anne Bishop

In a world of shifting lands connected only by bridges, the magic of the Landscapers keeps Ephemera stable, until dark and seductive dreams lure Sebastian, a half-incubus, to search for the woman of his visions, and the evil Eater of the World escapes its prison, threatening all with destruction.

Fun, though the world-building is a little fuzzy. I'll read the second part! ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
The main character in this story is Sebastian. He is the child of a wizard and a succubus whose mother gave him to his father to raise. His father hates him because he is the living proof of the mistake he made sleeping with a succubus. Luckily, he has an aunt and cousins who try to make up for his father's abuses.

Sebastian's cousins are a Landscaper named Belladonna and a Bridge named Lee. His cousin Belladonna runs afoul of the wizards by being too powerful and also for creating a landscape that is perfect for Sebastian and is exiled. However, she is the only one who might be able to combat an old evil that has escaped its imprisonment and now wants to conquer Ephemera.

Meanwhile, Sebastian meets a young woman named Lynnea who has undergone her own kind of abuse at the hands of a woman who found her wandering as a child and took her home to be a servant and her whipping boy. When Lynnea throws a hard-earned penny into a wishing well, all she wants is to find a place where she can be safe and be loved which leads her to Sebastian's landscape even though Sebastian isn't at all sure that he's right for her.

When the evil entity called It convinces the wizard to find Belladonna so that she can be destroyed, Sebastian is chosen as the bait to draw her in. Only Sebastian and Lynnea's love for each other can save them and Belladonna from the wizards and It's horrible plan.

I enjoyed the world building in this story. The idea of shattered landscapes that can only be reached by bridges that may or may not take you to your intended destination but often take you to the land your heart desires was intriguing.

This is the first book of a trilogy. One advantage of catching up on an author's earlier works is that I don't need to wait for the next book or books to be published. They are waiting for me on my Kindle. I can't wait to read them. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 30, 2019 |
3 1/2...maybe. This one was hard for me. The first 100 pages were more 2-2 1/2 stars. The middle third was a solid 3 stars and I figured that's what it would be in the end, but the last 100 pages were great!

The world building is fantastic. I think the first 100 pages were so weak, because of that whole 1st book in a series syndrome. You don't really understand most of what you're reading yet. But it grows, and the characters grow, and you fall in love with them, even ones you didn't really expect to. The world building is so complex, it takes 2/3 of the book to really lay it all out there.

Well worth the initial struggle! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Audiobook
2 stars for the first half, I struggled to stay focused and interested. there was a lot of telling, lectures form characters, little action.
3.5 stars for the second half. All the issues they lectured about, talked about, worried about, wondered about stated happening. They happened fast, and the characters were forced to make a choice. I was engaged. I needed to know what this great evil thing happening was and how far it could go. Could it win ? It was bad, really bad, which I loved till the end when it did a major 360 in personality ?!?! I give that ending a 1.5 star for that wimp out.
I did download book 2. Why ? I may want to know what a certain group of tricksters is up to. May, I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series. ( )
  TheYodamom | May 13, 2016 |
This was really terrible. Anne Bishop is known for writing id-fulfillment in fantasy novels, complete with as many abused Mary Sues as possible. I expected lots of fluffy titilation with very little substance (no real plot or cohesive world building, I mean), but I was annoyed at how boring and dull the would-be-titilation was. Sebastion is an incubus living in a world created specifically to cater to "dark desires", and yet all he does is have bland sex with women. No kinks, no gender-play, certainly nothing homoerotic (dammit)--the most depraved thing he does is eat cheesy bread shaped like sexual organs. The Den of Iniquity is supposedly terribly shameless and lascivious, yet all that apparently happens there is lame het sex. A single murder sends all the residents into a tizzy. And no one worries about money! Everything is provided by Gloriana Belladonna, a beautiful, abused-as-a-child enchantress. (Note: In Anne Bishop stories, *everyone* is abused as a child.) There's no tension or grit to this book. Even the big terrible monster is A)not scary in the least and B)clearly going to lose, undoubtedly due to some deus ex machina. Ugh. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Long ago, in a time that has faded from memory, a mother's tears forged the bridge that, ever after, connected the power of the living, ever-changing world to the human heart. - Myth
For Pat York who crossed over to other landscapes. I'm glad you were part of my life.
Standing at the kitchen counter, Sebastian closed his eyes and inhaled slowly and deeply to savor the smell of freshly ground koffea beans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,771,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible