A Gift of Sanctuary by Candace Robb

A Gift of Sanctuary (1998)

by Candace Robb

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
This sixth entry in the Owen Archer series moves our hero out of his usual milieu and has him returning to the land of his birth – Wales. England is at war with France and Owen is dispatched to find 40 archers to help protect a vulnerable area. He takes off with Geoffrey Chaucer so again we have that wonderful mix of fictional and historical characters blending beautifully together to tell a tale.

Of course nothing can go easily or as planned when it comes to our intrepid hero. Where would he be without a mystery to solve? In this case though the deaths aren’t as focal as is Owen’s feelings about being back in Wales. It brings up a range of emotions for a man who is not used to being overly introspective. He is also away from his Lucie for a long period of time and he – and the reader if truth be told – misses her terribly. She really does add to the stories.

I found this book to be back on track from the last one which was good, but it was one that I didn’t enjoy as much as the others. A Gift of Sanctuary is full of great characters both old and familiar and some new ones that bring a depth to the story. It’s never easy to go home again whether you are a fictional hero or an everyday person. It leaves Owen with much to consider and that only benefits the reader. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Nov 6, 2015 |
Maybe I shouldn't have jumped in so late in the series, but I found that there was an awful lot of complex historical politics to wade through quite early in the book and very few if any engaging characters. Perhaps it suffers from the non-appearance of Owen's wife.
  muumi | Jun 3, 2008 |
I didn't enjoy this as much as the earlier Owen Archer novels, I think probably because it did not feature the usual York characters and settings. None of the SW Wales characters really grabbed me and this was rather a chore. ( )
  john257hopper | Nov 24, 2006 |
Candace Robb's series following Owen Archer, Captain of achers in medieval England , works as a spy for his master, the archbishop of York bishop, solving mysteries, and in the process being a good and loving husband to his formidable apothacary wife, who often comes to his aid, helping to untangle and resolve the most unfathomable murders. ( )
  ElTomaso | Jun 11, 2006 |

Mayhem and miracles in Wales beckon Owen Archer back to his roots...and to a ruthless killer.

In the wet spring of 1370, a time of political unrest, a murdered man is left outside the gates of St. David's, Wales. Not far away, a wounded stranger, drenched in blood-- not all of it his own-- is carried to sanctuary by a wandering bard. And a mystery linked to warring passions for a woman and a nation begins for Owen Archer.

Owen, leaving his family behind, has undertaken a holy pilgrimage to Wales with his ailing father-in-law and his friend Geoffrey Chaucer-- and has agreed to carry out a mission for the English king. But he is unexpectedly moved by his return to his native land. And when asked to investigate the killing at St. David's, Owen-- sharp at discerning truth from falsehood-- begins to see the momentous import of a fugitive shrouded in secrecy, a lady betrayed by love, and the ties binding a man's soul...that tighten to torment his heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

A medieval mystery featuring the Welsh spy, Owen Archer. He is sent to Wales to recruit archers to fight off an expected French invasion. When he arrives, however, the first thing he has to do is solve a murder. By the author of The Riddle of St. Leonard's.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,843,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible