Something Beautiful by Sharon Dennis Wyeth

Something Beautiful

by Sharon Dennis Wyeth

Recently added byBahayPag-Asa, davidgn, Amy_Ko, BGLife, kalyannagarlibrary, private library, Bookish59

I love this book from the bottom of my heart. The word choice, sentence structure, and pattern all build the character of the unnamed main character who seems to live in an impoverished American neighborhood filled with garbage and sinister graffiti. I appreciated how the author plunged the reader into the setting and mindset of the main character by having the character think “When I look through the window, I see a brick wall. There is trash in the courtyard and a broken bottle that looks like fallen stars.” Through this introduction, I also noticed how the author showed the innocence of a little girl and saved the reader from falling into a state of hopelessness by having her think of something positive out of her seemingly negative situation. Despite all the side effects poverty has casted onto her neighborhood, the little girl searches for something beautiful by visiting her friends and family and asking them what they think is beautiful. This story encourages me to never give up and to actively find what I think is beautiful in life and to accept the different perspectives other people have of life.
I appreciate how Sharon Wyeth, the author, depicted a warm community regardless of the struggles the members of that society probably face everyday. Overall, this story appropriately captures the quest to find what is beautiful in and about life by having the reader venture through a seemingly culturally appropriate journey. ( )
  Amy_Ko | Sep 16, 2015 |
Summary: The story of a young African American girl who grows up in a neighborhood of poverty. One day she hears the word "beautiful" and is determined to find the meaning of the word beautiful by finding something beautiful. She asks her friends and neighbors what they think is beautiful and they show her a variety of items they find beautiful. At the end of the book, the girl asks her mother what she thinks is beautiful and the mother replies she thinks her daughter is beautiful.

Personal reflection: I liked this book because it shows the character traits of persistence and being hard working. I think this is an important concept book for young students to read because it shows the word beautiful through varied perspectives. I liked the message in this book.

Class use: Text set on poverty, text set on prospective, I think this book could also be used to introduce poetry and diverse communities.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is a mulitculuturalism book. About a little african american girl raised in a "ghetto-like" area. She learns about the word "beautiful," and is on a mission to "find something beautiful." Asks people in her town if they have something beautiful. Each person she asks has something little they find beautiful. Demonstrates appreciation for small things. She asks her mom what her "something beautiful" is and it's the little girl.
  kzilinskas | Nov 16, 2014 |
"Something Beautiful" is about a young girl in an urban area that feels like she has nothing beautiful in her life. I found the illustrations played a large role in this story. In the illustrations, the reader can see the trash surrounding her neighborhood, "die" written on her old wooden door, and the sad look on her face as she steps outside. All of this helps the reader capture the run down and dirty neighborhood and understand why this young girl can't find beauty in any of it. Also, I thought the story touched on tough issues like living in poverty and urban communities. It allows readers who have experienced this to connect deeply to the young girl's feelings, yet opens the readers eyes to what is beautiful even in this life. For example, the children around her find beauty in a jump rope, Mr. Lee finds beauty in his fruit store, and her mom finds beauty in her. The big idea is expressed as this young girl begins to find beauty around her and within her. Overall, the big idea is finding beauty in yourself and your life. Also, the young girl demonstrates hope as she washes "die" off her door and plans to plant flowers in her yard. ( )
  KendraEscalona | Oct 25, 2014 |
Something Beautiful is a story about a young girl who lives in a low socio-economic status neighborhood. She takes you on a journey through her neighborhood on her walk to school. Along the way she is constantly looking, and asking others, to find something that is beautiful. By the end of the story the little girl is able to understand that she can do her own part in making her home and neighborhood into something beautiful.

Great book that helps to illustrate the ideas that are processed through children's minds. This book is a great choice to use to introduce children into diversity and multicultural living. ( )
  acahil3 | Sep 2, 2014 |

A little girl longs to see beyond the scary sights on the sidewalk and the angry scribbling in the halls of her building. When her teacher writes the word beautiful on the blackboard, the girl decides to look for something beautiful in her neighborhood. Her neighbors tell her about their own beautiful things. Miss Delphine serves her a “beautiful” fried fish sandwich at her diner. At Mr. Lee’s “beautiful” fruit store, he offers her an apple. Old Mr. Sims invites her to touch a smooth stone he always carries. Beautiful means “something that when you have it, your heart is happy,” the girl thinks. Her search for “something beautiful” leaves her feeling much happier. She has experienced the beauty of friendship and the power of hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:55 -0400)

When she goes looking for "something beautiful" in her city neighborhood, a young girl finds beauty in many different forms.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,774,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible