Something Beautiful by Sharon Dennis Wyeth

Something Beautiful

by Sharon Dennis Wyeth

I feel very indifferent towards this book. It’s not a bad story, but it isn’t really engaging either. The plot is very monotone and the author kind of just throws you in. for example, the little girl makes observations about her neighborhood and quickly progresses to searching for something beautiful. It makes sense, but it feels very rushed. There also wasn’t really any substance to the characters. They all seems very one dimensional. For example, they all just told the little girl their something beautiful and that was it. However, in the end, there was a tiny glimpse of determination developed in the little girl. I was able to find a message from the book. When the girl returns to her house, she cleans it up and decides to help the homeless woman near her home. I think this means that beauty is not always found in tangible things, but sometimes in an idea of wanting to help people. And that can be anyone’s something beautiful. ( )
  MayaKenner | Feb 16, 2016 |
Ugliness surrounds a little girl in her inner-city neighborhood so she sets out to find beauty by asking freinds and family what is beautiful.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A little girl longs to see beyond the scary sights on the sidewalk and the angry scribbling in the halls of her building. When her teacher writes the word beautiful on the blackboard, the girl decides to look for something beautiful in her neighborhood. Her neighbors tell her about their own beautiful things. Miss Delphine serves her a “beautiful” fried fish sandwich at her diner. At Mr. Lee’s “beautiful” fruit store, he offers her an apple. Old Mr. Sims invites her to touch a smooth stone he always carries. Beautiful means “something that when you have it, your heart is happy,” the girl thinks. Her search for “something beautiful” leaves her feeling much happier. She has experienced the beauty of friendship and the power of hope. (amazon)
  AmyStepaniuk | Nov 21, 2015 |
I really liked this book because of the main message. The story is about a little girl who lives in an impoverished area but she still manages to find tons of “beautiful” things around her. The main message of the story is that no matter what is happening in your life, beauty can always be found. In the story the little girl goes around town asking people if they “have something beautiful” and everyone she asks has something in their lives that they think is beautiful. A little girl on her street says, “I have my jump rope,” her Aunt says, “My baby’s laugh is something beautiful,” and her mother says, “I have you.” This is really a beautiful and inspiring message and I really love it!
I also like this book because of the main characters sense of responsibility for her community. Even though it is not her job to clean up her street, she does it anyways. “I go upstairs and get a broom and a sponge and some water. I pick up the trash. I sweep up the glass. I scrub the door very hard. When Die disappears, I feel powerful.” The little girl even talks about someday planting “flowers in my courtyard” and giving “a real home and a real bed to the lady who sleeps in the cardboard carton”. The little girl shows how she contributes to her community by working hard to try and fix her community up and make it beautiful. ( )
  kmurph30 | Oct 26, 2015 |
I love this book from the bottom of my heart. The word choice, sentence structure, and pattern all build the character of the unnamed main character who seems to live in an impoverished American neighborhood filled with garbage and sinister graffiti. I appreciated how the author plunged the reader into the setting and mindset of the main character by having the character think “When I look through the window, I see a brick wall. There is trash in the courtyard and a broken bottle that looks like fallen stars.” Through this introduction, I also noticed how the author showed the innocence of a little girl and saved the reader from falling into a state of hopelessness by having her think of something positive out of her seemingly negative situation. Despite all the side effects poverty has casted onto her neighborhood, the little girl searches for something beautiful by visiting her friends and family and asking them what they think is beautiful. This story encourages me to never give up and to actively find what I think is beautiful in life and to accept the different perspectives other people have of life.
I appreciate how Sharon Wyeth, the author, depicted a warm community regardless of the struggles the members of that society probably face everyday. Overall, this story appropriately captures the quest to find what is beautiful in and about life by having the reader venture through a seemingly culturally appropriate journey. ( )
  Amy_Ko | Sep 16, 2015 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:55 -0400)

When she goes looking for "something beautiful" in her city neighborhood, a young girl finds beauty in many different forms.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible