After the Quake by Haruki Murakami

After the Quake (2000)

by Haruki Murakami

English (64)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (72)
My first foray into Murakami. This young Japanese writer is held in high regard by many whose opinion I value. I'm so glad I picked up this lovely collection of six short stories. Published in 2002, each tale connects in some way to the aftermath of the 1995 Kobe Earthquake. Of varying lengths, each is quite different and unique in voice, plotting and perspective. We have an abandoned husband in "UFO in Koshiro", a love triangle in "Honey Pie", a businesswoman on vacation in "Thailand", a giant talking amphibian in "Super Frog Saves Tokyo", an odd trio dancing to a beachfront bonfire in "Landscape with Flatiron", and a young man whose mother is convinced he is the Son of God in "All God's Children Can Dance."

This is not my typical reading fare. I lack the vocabulary to properly describe it. Many call Murakami's style magical realism. I simply found each story to be eerie and mystical. Perfect renditions of characters feeling at loss and searching for ... what? Peace? Resolution? Answers? I was haunted by the lyrical writing. One of my favorites books this year thus far. Mine was an audiobook edition. The three narrators were wonderful. Completely engrossed. ( )
1 vote michigantrumpet | Jun 30, 2014 |
I got this book as a gift from a friend last 2004. I never expect to fall in love with these short stories.

I highly recommend this book for those who are busy with their lives and can only spare few minutes of their free time. Each story is unique and refreshing to the mind. This is best read one story at a time.

This indeed is a good escape from reality. ( )
  shanvelia | Jun 5, 2014 |
Couldn't quite get into the book.... ( )
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |
I have yet to dislike a Murakami story. This is a smaller collection of stories written in the years following the Kobe earthquake in Japan in 1995. Murakami as well as the characters in these stories are touched in various ways by that event but not focal points, for the most part. These are little vignettes. I liked each of the six stories in this collection but nothing struck me as outstanding.

Murakami's characters always feel so real, and interesting in unusual ways. My favorite stories here were "landscape with flatiron" and "thailand." The other stories included were "ufo in koshiro," "all god's children can dance," "super-frog saves tokyo," and "honey pie." ( )
  RBeffa | Dec 10, 2013 |

"But the letter his wife left for him when she vanished five days after the earthquake was different: I am never coming back, she had written, then went on to explain, simply but clearly, why she no longer wanted to live with him.

The problem is that you never give me anything, she wrote. Or, to put it more precisely, you have nothing inside you that you can give me. You are good and kind and handsome, but living with you is like living with a chunk of air…*"

Purely coincidentally, my purchase of this book coincided with earthquake/tsunami combo that hit Japan in March of 2011. I was in Georgia with my parents visiting my little brother as he graduated from infantry boot camp at Fort Benning, and in true family fashion, we decided to hit up a local Barnes and Noble (seriously, just try to take someone in my family out of a bookstore…cannot.be.done.). Unfortunately, I was having a hard time locating some of the books on my “to read” list, though I remember they did have a large selection of Amish “romance” novels, which I affectionately refer to as “bonnet-rippers.” Anyway…one of very few books I was able to locate was Murakami’s short story collection After the Quake. I know, tres macabre, but I felt very drawn to it and picked it up.

Published in 2002, this collection consists of six short stories that take place in the wake of the 1995 Kobe earthquake. As a lover of Murakami’s oeuvre, this isn’t his seminal work or his strongest effort, but absolutely a strong example of his mastery of magical realism. These stories contain all the hallmarks of a Murakami: a sense of unreality; eerie, haunting settings; characters searching for something a bit beyond their grasp, searching for clarity and purpose, searching for themselves.

This was my second time reading this collection, and just like most Murakami I’ve read, I get something new out of it each time. A few of my favorite stories:

Honey Pie: The final story in the collection, Murakami offers his take on the classic love triangle plot with equal parts tenderness and disarray.

Landscape with Flatiron: Two students join a neighbor to build winter bonfires on the beach…a neighbor who believes that he will die trapped inside a refrigerator.

I have mixed feelings about All God’s Children Can Dance. I thought the premise was phenomenal (a man, raised by his mother to believe that he was the son of God, goes off in search of his biological father), however the story seemed to meander then end a bit prematurely.

Rubric rating: 7.5 Not my favorite Murakami, but still a super strong collection.

*quote from the story UFO in Kushiro, pages 5-6. ( )
  jaclyn_michelle | Nov 15, 2013 |
I loved this book before last week’s earthquake, because it illuminated a few things about my own condition at the time that I read it. But now the truth in this collection of fiction has a new depth to it; its general conclusions have become amazingly relevant and important to us this week. It offers no solutions and I don’t even think it offers much comfort, but it holds a hauntingly accurate mirror to our world now.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Liza! What was it yesterday, then?”
“It was what it was.”
“That’s impossible! That’s cruel!”

—Fyodor Dostoevsky, Demons
RADIO: …garrison already decimated by the Vietcong, who lost 115 of their men…
WOMAN: It’s awful, isn’t it, it’s so anonymous.
MAN: What is?
WOMAN: They say 115 guerillas, yet it doesn’t mean anything, because we don’t know anything about these men, who they are, whether they love a woman, or have children, if they prefer the cinema to the theatre. We know nothing. They just say…115 dead.

—Jean-Luc Godard, Pierrot le Fou
Five straight days she spend in front of the television, staring at crumbled banks and hospitals, whole blocks of stores in flames, severed rail lines and expressways.
Please do not combine this entry with the entries for the individual short stories.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375713271, Paperback)

Haruki Murakami, a writer both mystical and hip, is the West's favorite Japanese novelist. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Murakami lived abroad until 1995. That year, two disasters struck Japan: the lethal earthquake in Kobe and the deadly poison gas attacks in the Tokyo subway. Spurred by these tragic events, Murakami returned home. The stories in After the Quake are set in the months that fell between the earthquake and the subway attack, presenting a world marked by despair, hope, and a kind of human instinct for transformation. A teenage girl and a middle-aged man share a hobby of making beach bonfires; a businesswoman travels to Thailand and, quietly, confronts her own death; three friends act out a modern-day Tokyo version of Jules and Jim. There's a surreal element running through the collection in the form of unlikely frogs turning up in unlikely places. News of the earthquake hums throughout. The book opens with the dull buzz of disaster-watching: "Five straight days she spent in front of the television, staring at the crumbled banks and hospitals, whole blocks of stores in flames, severed rail lines and expressways." With language that's never self-consciously lyrical or show-offy, Murakami constructs stories as tight and beautiful as poems. There's no turning back for his people; there's only before and after the quake. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:51 -0400)

A collection of stories inspired by the January 1995 Kobe earthquake and the poison gas subway attacks two months later takes place between the two disasters and follows the experiences of people who found their normal lives undone by surreal events.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible