Feminism is for everybody : passionate…

Feminism is for everybody : passionate politics (2000)

by bell hooks

Very readable intro. I was especially interested by the parts discussing class issues and their impact on early feminism. I'm not sure I agree that going door to door with leaflets is a great idea, though! ( )
  tronella | Feb 4, 2012 |
Everyone should read this book. ( )
  Houseasaurus | Feb 11, 2010 |
I really enjoyed bell hooks' take on feminism, how it can't properly exist without tackling the issues of racism, classism, homophobia, etc. However, I don't think that this book is a good primer for feminism, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anybody who wants an introduction. (For that I would recommend Full Frontal Feminism A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters by Jessica Valenti.)

I would have given this book 4 stars but the typos and grammatical errors made the book difficult to read. ( )
2 vote lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
A fantastic book that presents feminism in an inclusive, understandable way - as hooks herself writes 'To chose feminist politics, then, is a choice of love'. While some of the language in this book may give you an automatic knee-jerk reaction of 'feminist over-exaggeration', take the time to think why the author uses the terms she does, and really read what she has to say, and you will find this is a recipe for a kinder, calmer, world that is better for everyone. ( )
2 vote ForrestFamily | Oct 7, 2009 |
When people hear the word 'feminism,' they automatically think of radical left-wing 'manly women.' However, bell hooks uses Feminism is for Everybody to dispel those notions and misconceptions, and to redefine feminism. Hooks' African-American background gives the book a humorous, 'momma-esque' feel, while maintaining a serious tone. ( )
  06nwingert | Aug 30, 2009 |

A genuine feminist politics always brings us from bondage to freedom, from lovelessness to loving....There can be no love without justice.—from the chapter "To Love Again: The Heart of Feminism"

In this engaging and provocative volume, bell hooks introduces a popular theory of feminism rooted in common sense and the wisdom of experience. Hers is a vision of a beloved community that appeals to all those committed to equality, mutual respect, and justice.

hooks applies her critical analysis to the most contentious and challenging issues facing feminists today, including reproductive rights, violence, race, class, and work. With her customary insight and unsparing honesty, hooks calls for a feminism free from divisive barriers but rich with rigorous debate. In language both eye-opening and optimistic, hooks encourages us to demand alternatives to patriarchal, racist, and homophobic culture, and to imagine a different future.

hooks speaks to all those in search of true liberation, asking readers to take look at feminism in a new light, to see that it touches all lives. Issuing an invitation to participate fully in feminist movement and to benefit fully from it, hooks shows that feminism—far from being an outdated concept or one limited to an intellectual elite--is indeed for everybody.

bell hooks is the author of numerous critically acclaimed books on the politics of race, gender, class, and culture. A frequent lecturer in the United States and abroad, she is Distinguished Professor of English at City College, City University of New York.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible