Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (2000)

by bell hooks

"What is feminism? In this short, accessible primer, bell hooks explores the nature of feminism and its positive promise to eliminate sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression. With her characteristic clarity and directness, hooks encourages readers to see how feminism can touch and change their lives--to see that feminism is for everybody"--… (more)
Recently added bygregsonog, darkandlight, Kareyni, private library, Cookie1975, ecramb, ClaireAHansen, sageorion

Un libro que toca muchas teclas, aunque su contenido no es para nada introductorio, desde luego. Algunos puntos me han parecido muy interesantes. ( )
  essuniz | Jan 5, 2021 |
Full review at Little Book Jockey. I wanted to like this book more than I did. Unfortunately, I do have a few issues with it. Hooks sets out to give a sort of introduction to feminism with this book, but she doesn't. She says that people need a simple primer that is accessible to anyone. While that's true, this isn't the book. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who hasn't read feminist theory before. I'd go with one of Adichie's (either Dear Ijeawele or We Should All Be Feminists) instead. Aside from being a bit dense for an introduction, at times the author seems to be arguing more about the in-fighting and exclusion of others within feminism than she is about the productive qualities of feminism. She also self-references more than necessary. If she already made points in previous books, does she really need to repeat them? I do like how she mentions that the popular and often toxic idea of masculinity should be changed. On another note, though, at one point she states that the stigma attached to not being a virgin has been taken away by feminism, which simply isn't true. I've been in multiple environments where there is a stigma attached to both being a virgin and not being one. This is true for anyone, but especially for women. Another thing I had a problem with was the notion of choice in sexuality. More than once she makes a point of choosing lesbianism or bisexuality as a lifestyle, rather than being lesbian or bisexual and accepting that fact. She presents interesting ideas but sometimes falls short and doesn't always have evidence to back up her claims. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
It many ways I felt like this book was eye-opening and enlightening for me. It helps to have many things that I feel like I knew sub-consciously brought out into plain and simple words that were (reasonably) well articulated. Over the 123 pages of this book I had 53 notes that I took on my own though of things that I wan't sure of. Things that didn't make sense to me, that I disagreed with, or that I felt needed further investigation or sources before they could be taken for truth.

If nothing else this book served as a great "jumping off" point for me into a more academic look into feminism and certainly opened the doors for me in wanting to have lengthy conversation about the topic. I know that this is subject, much like politics, can cause strong and immediate reactions and now my current two goals are to 1) Find a place to have a civil discussion about the topic where I can be allowed to disagree or question some of the assumptions or comments in this book and 2) Continue to learn more about it with other recommended books. My current list of upcoming titles on Feminism:

Female Chauvanist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture
The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love
It's (Mostly) His Fault: For Women Who Are Fed Up and the Men Who Love Them
Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire

These titles came as a recommendation from a group of feminist women when asked what their recommendations of the best books for a straight white male were to read to get a better understanding of feminism. This list wasn't one that I randomly put together or that I picked because they seemed particularly appealing to me personally from the outset. I simply took the recommendations and decided to go ahead with reading them based on the recommendations. Feminism is for Everybody was the first suggestion that almost everyone made, and it seems to have served its purpose well. Even if I don't agree with everything in the book outright it has certainly sparked more thought on a regular basis since starting the book. ( )
  ehussong | Jun 3, 2020 |
This is a wonderful beginner's guide to Feminist thought and theories. It is really phenomenal for this purpose.

As a reader who already considers himself a feminist, I felt as if the book was an introduction: a thorough introduction, sure, but at the end only an introduction. bell hooks leaves the book at just over a hundred pages. Thus, if you aren't interested, it is over within a reasonable time; If you are interested, it ends way too soon. For this reason I will be picking up some other bell hooks books in the near future. ( )
  magonistarevolt | May 7, 2020 |
bell hooks was recommended to me about a decade ago. As this book is now available as an audio edition, it the first I've gotten around to.

I've identified as a feminist since I know what feminism was (sometime in high school). In a patriarchal society, feminism is not just about women—it is about arriving at a societal dynamic whereby everyone is respected.

The title pretty much sums it up. This is a primer on feminism, and it is for everyone (especially white men). hooks explores the ways in which patriarchy is bad for everyone, even the "winners." I happen to be reading Derrick Jensen's "A Language Older Than Words" simultaneously; in it, Jensen speaks of being molested by his father. It is the sickening illustration of the truth to hooks' words.

There are some elements of the book that were surprising to me. For example, hooks draws links between abortion rights and birth control. I hadn't previously heard abortion described as a standard birth control method.

In our current era, with Trump as president and the Me Too movement, now is a great time to read this book. ( )
  willszal | Jun 19, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,583,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible