The Secret Circle #2: The Captive by L. J.…

The Secret Circle #2: The Captive (edition 1992)

by L. J. Smith

Member:msbhaven
Title:The Secret Circle #2: The Captive
Authors:L. J. Smith
Info:Eos (HarperCollins) (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

The Captive by L. J. Smith

The Secret Circle series picks up a bit in its second book, The Captive. The plot thickens, some surprising back story is revealed and Cassie is slightly less irritating. But just slightly.

Halloween has come to New Salem and that means the Club is both going to the high school dance and hanging around in the cemetery. Black John's crystal skull is still wreaking havoc, as is Faye. While Faye is supposed to be the mean girl, and basically Cassie's arch nemesis, I like her. She sees that Cassie is weak and is exploiting that in her own favor. While not a nice move, perhaps Faye will be the catalyst Cassie needs to finally grow a pair and take charge of her life.

The Cassie/Adam forbidden love angle still makes me want to gouge my eyes out, but except for Faye's threats to reveal all to Diana, mentions are mostly kept to a minimum. The Captive seems to focus a good deal on Nick and I'm hoping he and Cassie come together in the final book as opposed to her and Adam.

The Club has a lot of drama to deal with at the moment, between Faye's quest for power and the mounting unsolved deaths. Cassie should be involved with dealing with these things, but she's always more concerned with her love life and how it will effect her friendship with Diana. Cassie missed her many opportunities for honesty in The Initiation and her guilt is overwhelmingly grating. It's gotten to the point where I officially hate Cassie. She remains angsty and useless. Thankfully, I really want to know how the story turns out because Cassie is enough to make we want to throw the book against the wall and never open it again. ( )
  TequilaReader | Sep 1, 2011 |
This is book 2 in The Secret Circle series. See my review of book 1 here. This book was just as good as the first in the series. The tension is building as Cassie is black mailed into helping Faye wrestle power away from Diana. Cassie finds herself hurting those she cares most about and also suffers a great loss in her family. Cassie’s grandmother also reveals important information that none of the Circle knew about previously in hopes it will help them battle the dark force that was released.

Faye is one scary witch and you have to wonder how sane is she? Poor Cassie finds herself stuck between a rock and a hard place and must decide if she will let Faye hurt Diana by revealing the connection between Cassie and Adam or hurt Diana herself by supporting Faye in her bid for power. Deborah, Nick and the Henderson brothers are much more likeable in this book and the suspense of finding out whose side they will end up on as well keeps you hooked. It’s been so long since I’ve read these books that I can’t wait to read the last book in the trilogy. ( )
  dasuzuki | Mar 1, 2009 |
I've had a soft spot for L.J. Smith since I discovered her in middle school, and this was my favorite series out of them all both because of plot and character. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jun 7, 2007 |
For my father, the parfait gentil knight.
Fire, Cassie thought. All around her she saw blazing autumn colors.

Can The Secret Circle Survive...

Caught between two members' consuming desires to use the coven's mysterious force, Cassie turns to one of their boyfriends, Adam--and falls captive to her own dangerous love.

Bewitched by the promise of love through magic, Cassie captures Adam's heart and upsets the delicate balance of power, unleashing a storm of fury no one anticipates.

...Or Will The Dark Struggle Of Good, Evil, And Tormented Love Consume Them All?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:25 -0400)

Lured into the most popular in-crowd imaginable, Cassie is intoxicated by her newfound strength, a power as addictive as it is perilous. Caught between Faye and Diana's desires to use the coven's mysterious force, Cassie turns to Diana's boyfriend, Adam. She captures his heart and upsets the delicate balance of power, unleashing a storm of fury no one anticipates.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible