The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R.…

The Fellowship of the Ring (1954)

by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author)

Series: The Lord of the Rings (1)

32,06226824 (4.37)5 / 430

English (247)  Spanish (9)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (264)
This book is great!!!! I love it!!! I love the whole creation of a different world, and the fantasy look of the characters. Tolkien is one of my favorite authors. I love also the smallest character trying to end evil in the world. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | May 3, 2015 |
Middle Earth is a wonderful place to visit, even as darkness begins to devour the sky from the east. That the spark of hope would be found in a diminutive, forgotten creature like a Hobbit – that it would smolder in a green and bountiful forgotten land, focused on the living rather than the battle, only to catch fire and burn so bright – is the ultimate draw.

Is there anyone on the face of the planet who doesn’t know the story of Frodo and the Ring. Even before the Peter Jackson film treatments, Tolkien’s epic quest story was a cultural icon. But Jackson packaged Tolkien’s vision for the masses, thankfully without losing the soul of the story, so that it is even more a part of our collective consciousness.

I read [The Hobbit] many years ago and was taken with Tolkien’s world. Being an obsessive myself, I figured I had to read everything and should go back to what he considered the start of the story, or at least a rendition of the beginning. And I picked up [The Silmarillion] – there lay madness, and I quickly abandoned hope. So, reading [The Lord of the Rings] trilogy for the first time, after having watched the Jacskon films, was like coming home.

[The Fellowship of the Ring] is easily my favorite part of the story because the fellowship is intact and alive throughout. I understand why Frodo must strike out on his own, and I understand why Strider – because I like that part of him much better the kingly parts – has to go his own way. But the sum of their parts is so great, and their collective is so vibrant. The mystery and tension of this book hits a tone that Tolkien never quite regains, save perhaps for the bits about Sam and Frodo on the tower of Cirith Ungol. There are more heart-stopping and heart-rending moments in [The Fellowship] than in all the rest of the books.

Bottom Line: Maybe as close to perfection as Tolkien ever came – but he wasn’t so enamored with perfection as he was obsessive about breadth and depth.

5 bones!!!!! ( )
  blackdogbooks | Apr 19, 2015 |
**If you haven’t read the book, just skip this review. I tried to avoid spoilers, but there is just too much to talk about.**

It’s been 13 years since I first read the Lord of the Rings series and it was high time for a reread. This epic trilogy starts out quietly enough. There’s the Shire, a peaceful place full of hobbits and rolling green hills. Anyone familiar with The Hobbit will recognize Bilbo Baggins, but this is not his story. His nephew Frodo inherits a ring from him and nothing in his life will ever be the same.

There’s no need to rehash the plot as most people are familiar with it because of the movies. Suffice to say Tolkien is a master story teller. He pays attention to every detail and you can feel the terror of the hobbits as the Black Riders hunt them. You share in their awe as the meet the elves and hear their songs. Middle Earth is both completely unique and infinitely familiar. It’s almost as if you’ve stepped back in time and you’re witnessing the history of a simpler people, but none of them ever existed.

The trilogy has such depth and deals with issues that are relevant in every time period. The heart of the story is about friendship, loyalty and sacrifice. It's about trusting those who are wise and setting aside your own goals for the good of all. It deals with grief, temptation, greed, trust, overcoming your fears and prejudices, and stepping outside of your comfort zone. It’s about knowing what’s really important in life. The only people who can truly resist the ring are the ones who don't value power and wealth above all else. More than anything, Frodo wants to go home and he has no desire for glory. That’s the only reason he’s able to resist the ring for so long.

The book teaches so many beautiful lessons but even more than that it's an incredibly readable story. Tolkien’s descriptions carry you away into a world with elves, dwarves and hobbits. You can feel the encroaching darkness and taste the stagnant air in the Monies of Moria. You can see the leaves grow golden in Galadriel's forest.

There were so many things that I had forgotten about the books. In the years since I first read them I’d begun to believe they were dense or hard to follow because of all the unusual names and locations, but that wasn’t the case. I felt instantly transported and thrilled to be traveling with Strider and the hobbits as they made their way to Rivendell.

I absolutely adore the movies and think they are some of the best adaptations of book to film that I’ve seen. But there are a few parts that differ from the books and I couldn’t help notice those sections. Some of them are just wonderful, but I know you can’t fit everything into a movie.

There’s one scene where Frodo and Sam cross paths with elves early in the book. Same is enthralled with them, because he’s been dreaming of meeting elves his whole life. Then there’s Tom Bombadil and his lady Goldberry, the daughter of the River. They are such lovely characters. Tom is wise and stands outside of the normal rules and faults of others in Middle Earth. I love the scene with the Barrow-wights and Old Man Willow when Tom rescues the hobbits.

I’d forgotten the original reasons so many were gathered at Rivendell for the Council of Elrond. Leogalos was there to let Elrond know that Gollum had escaped from the Mirkwood elves. Boromir had been traveling for 110 days to get from Gondor to Rivendell. He came because his brother, Faramir, was having a dream over and over again to "Seek the sword that was broken... for Isildur's Bane shall waken." Boromir only had the dream once. I couldn’t help but wonder how differently things might have turned out if Faramir had been part of the fellowship instead of his older, brasher brother.

There’s also a scene where Gandalf is rescued from Saruman by the eagle Gwaihir because Radagast told birds and beasts where Gandalf was going to be. That section reminded me of Harry Potter and how Voldemort always underestimated people he thought were less powerful than him. Sauruman used Radagast to unknowingly trick Gandalf into going to Isengard. Saruman underestimated Radagast and never thought that he would be the reason Gandalf was able to escape.

BOTTOM LINE: Completely irresistible. This might be my favorite book of the trilogy. It’s our introduction to the wonderful world of Middle Earth. It holds the first glimpse of Rivendell; it cements the lifelong friendships between the members of the fellowship, and takes us on a trip through the hallowed woods of Lothlórien. We meet Tom Bombadil, attend a party in the Shire, and above all else we see the strength it takes to for someone to sacrifice themself for the good of others.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo going out of your door," he (Bilbo) used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

A few tidbits where the book differs from the film:

- Frodo was orphaned when both his parents drowned.
- He and Bilbo have the same birthday, September 22, and when Bilbo turned 111 Frodo turned 33, which is the age when hobbits officially become an adult.
- Almost 20 years go by between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Frodo leaving. He was 50 when he started out on the journey.
- He sold Bag End before he left.
- Merry and Pippin were always planning on going, it wasn't a last minute thing.
- They stop at Farmer Maggot's house and then he drives them to the ferry.
- The Elf Glorfindel met the hobbits and Strider, not Arwen and Gandalf is the one who made the water turn into horses during the flood that scares the Ringwraiths off.
- Aragorn and Bilbo were great friends. They had been at Rivendell together for a long time and Bilbo called him the Dunadan.
- Aragorn was the one who found Gollum and took him to the elves.
- Gandalf was in Gondor when he found info about the ring in scrolls Isildur wrote.
- After Gwaihir Eagle saves Gandalf he takes him to Rohan where Gandalf gets Shadowfax.
- The Hobbits spend two months in Rivendell after Elrond's Council before embarking on their journey. ( )
1 vote bookworm12 | Mar 16, 2015 |
One of the best fantasies I have read.
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
Elves, artifacts. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

Sagan om ringen is "provisionally separated" as a distinct J.R.R. Tolkien Work , pending correct identification of these copies with either the complete trilogy, The Lord of the Rings ( http://www.librarything.com/work/1386... ), or with Volume I only, The Fellowship of the Ring ( http://www.librarything.com/work/3203... ). Please separate and re-combine the particular copies of this work as appropriate. Ideally, Sagan om ringen as a distinct LT Work will soon disappear! Thank you.
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible