The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R.…

The Fellowship of the Ring (1954)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (1)

39,09732522 (4.37)6 / 526

English (303)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (322)
The Fellowship of the Ring is the first volume in J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings Saga. I decided that even though this was my first reading of this book, that I would go with an audio version. I knew enough of the story and characters that it was very easy to follow along and it wasn’t long before I was totally absorbed into Middle Earth. The rich voice of the reader, Rob Inglis, totally enhanced the story and added to it’s charm.

The foundation of the series is built in this issue, the characters have been introduced and we have been given a good idea of their purpose and ambitions. The theme of good versus evil has been set and the mission to keep the dark lord, Saron from obtaining the last ring and dominating all of Middle Earth is underway. The fellowship of Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, and humans have been set on their path to save their world.

Since it was first published in 1954 the influence that this fantasy generates has been unrivaled. The Fellowship of the Ring is the beginning of an epic tale of friendship, heroism and adventure, and I am looking forward to continuing on with the second volume. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 8, 2019 |
Yep it's still good. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
While the Book takes a bit to get going and some elements are overly described, Tolkien's classic is well loved as it paints a direct picture in your head, and because of the length, the Book never seems to skim over anything, and plot and characters are properly fleshed out. ( )
  Ryan_Thompson | Mar 24, 2019 |
For my taste, the LOTR series is just too dull. There's too much walking - everyone is walking around and walking and walking ... through this forest, under this mountain, through another forest ... I distinctly remember losing my bookmark in the first book - I had trouble finding the right spot again because it was all so similar. The hobbits were lost in a forest ... again.

I can, however, appreciate the linguistic effort put forth by Tolkien - the names sound right and the made-up languages are interesting.

The first volume is slightly better than the others as it contains colorful depictions of life in the Shire and its neighboring lands and sets out on what it looks to be a promising adventure. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This was my 1st reread since the movies starting coming out, & I was pleasantly diverted. I listened to the audiobook read by Rob Inglis, & while he is VERY different from the characters as portrayed in the movies (for better or worse, the voices as they sound in my head), he did give everyone their own unique touch. Listening helped me get through the slower parts of Book 1, & Book 2 kept me company while I was ill over the last week. It really is a ripping story, well worth many return trips. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Tre har elvernes konge i dybeste skove,
Syv har dværgenes herrer i sale af sten,
Ni har mennesket dødeligt, dømt til at sove
Én har den natsote fyrste for ondskab og mén
I Mordors land, hvor skygger ruge.
Én Ring er over dem alle, Én Ring kan finde de andre
Én Ring kan bringe dem alle, i mørket lænke dem alle
I Mordors land, hvor skygger ruge.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.
In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
-Amazon
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

Current discussions

Lord of the Rings Group Read in 2019 Category Challenge

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,169,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible