The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the…

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) (original 1954; edition 2003)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

32,41627023 (4.37)5 / 430
Member:imawittlecorny
Title:The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2003), Paperback, 398 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

English (250)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (266)
When The Fellowship of the Ring was first published in 1954 it was, profoundly, a story way ahead of its time. Or possibly it shaped the the course of time by its sheer cultural resonance alone? ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jul 15, 2015 |
I returned to The Lord of the Rings after first reading it voraciously in college many years ago. It was interesting to read this first part with the knowledge and experience I now have, including the study of Old Norse and Old English texts and Early Medieval art history, which provided some of Tolkien’s sources. Though I am no longer twenty, it’s still a great read! I am struck by the sense of humor that crops up here and there, especially when it comes to the hobbits, who have a predilection for drinking songs and dancing on tables. The humor leavens the sense of sadness, loss, and nostalgia for a past golden age, when beings like elves lived in harmony with nature and each other. Tolkien’s reverent descriptions of landscape, woods, waterways, and the night sky also relieve the tension of being tracked by maleficent creatures such as orcs, ringwraiths and balrogs. Were the author alive today, I believe he would be an ardent advocate for natural preservation and sustainability. In early medieval mode, he is also a big advocate for loyalty and commitment to one’s “fellowship,” no matter how different they are. And they are indeed different: several hobbits, a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, and two men. I think Tolkien would fit right in with today’s multicultural world. Finally, Tolkien’s work is surprisingly psychological, addressing the battles within and the difficulty of self-control: the greed for power over others, represented by the One Ring--versus the dedication to peace and respect, not only toward other beings and creatures, but toward the earth itself. Tolkien still speaks in a clear voice to our contemporary world. ( )
1 vote Lori_Eshleman | Jun 28, 2015 |
Wonderful to read again. ( )
  wjwetzel | May 27, 2015 |
This book is great!!!! I love it!!! I love the whole creation of a different world, and the fantasy look of the characters. Tolkien is one of my favorite authors. I love also the smallest character trying to end evil in the world. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | May 3, 2015 |
Middle Earth is a wonderful place to visit, even as darkness begins to devour the sky from the east. That the spark of hope would be found in a diminutive, forgotten creature like a Hobbit – that it would smolder in a green and bountiful forgotten land, focused on the living rather than the battle, only to catch fire and burn so bright – is the ultimate draw.

Is there anyone on the face of the planet who doesn’t know the story of Frodo and the Ring. Even before the Peter Jackson film treatments, Tolkien’s epic quest story was a cultural icon. But Jackson packaged Tolkien’s vision for the masses, thankfully without losing the soul of the story, so that it is even more a part of our collective consciousness.

I read [The Hobbit] many years ago and was taken with Tolkien’s world. Being an obsessive myself, I figured I had to read everything and should go back to what he considered the start of the story, or at least a rendition of the beginning. And I picked up [The Silmarillion] – there lay madness, and I quickly abandoned hope. So, reading [The Lord of the Rings] trilogy for the first time, after having watched the Jacskon films, was like coming home.

[The Fellowship of the Ring] is easily my favorite part of the story because the fellowship is intact and alive throughout. I understand why Frodo must strike out on his own, and I understand why Strider – because I like that part of him much better the kingly parts – has to go his own way. But the sum of their parts is so great, and their collective is so vibrant. The mystery and tension of this book hits a tone that Tolkien never quite regains, save perhaps for the bits about Sam and Frodo on the tower of Cirith Ungol. There are more heart-stopping and heart-rending moments in [The Fellowship] than in all the rest of the books.

Bottom Line: Maybe as close to perfection as Tolkien ever came – but he wasn’t so enamored with perfection as he was obsessive about breadth and depth.

5 bones!!!!! ( )
  blackdogbooks | Apr 19, 2015 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

Sagan om ringen is "provisionally separated" as a distinct J.R.R. Tolkien Work , pending correct identification of these copies with either the complete trilogy, The Lord of the Rings ( http://www.librarything.com/work/1386... ), or with Volume I only, The Fellowship of the Ring ( http://www.librarything.com/work/3203... ). Please separate and re-combine the particular copies of this work as appropriate. Ideally, Sagan om ringen as a distinct LT Work will soon disappear! Thank you.
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,996,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible