The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the…

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) (original 1954; edition 2003)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

31,65226125 (4.37)5 / 430
Member:imawittlecorny
Title:The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2003), Paperback, 398 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

English (242)  Spanish (9)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (258)
Tolkien is a master of the written word, and is a wonderful linguist and historian of fantastical places. This book is a must-have for all fans classic literature and fantasy, and of course for those that started with Tolkien's world through the 2001 Peter Jackson-directed film. A wonderful classic! ( )
  MortimerFolchart | Jan 26, 2015 |
I can't believe it took me this long to finally read this book. Seriously, what is wrong with me. Anyway, after reading this first book in the trilogy I can now say that I understand why Tolkien has remained popular to this day and has become the basis of all the fantasy that we read today. That man knew had to write an exciting and adventurous story that all generations can enjoy. While obviously written toward a more adult audience than The Hobbit was, it can still be enjoyed by both young and old. It has a little less of the that oral story-telling feeling to it, but it's still there. I still got that feeling that someone was telling me a tale from long ago which made it both charming and exciting.

I also have to say that I like Frodo much more in the book than in the movie. I also thought that Frodo was a little whiny and lacked the inner strength that I like to see in my fantasy heroes, but book Frodo is very different. While hesitant to go on this journey (who wouldn't be) he does it anyway for the good of the world. He is also very kind to his friends and always worries about putting his friends in danger. This worry often leads him to attempt sneaking off in the dead of night to take on this burden alone to keep his friends out of danger. Of course, this loyalty and care that he has for his friends makes it so his friends refuse to let him carry this burden alone. It's an admirable trait in Frodo that I've come to appreciate.

The only thing that really bothers about this book, and this series in general, is the complete lack of women. Granted, it's not a big surprise considering when this novel was first written, but still. I've gotten so used to reading books with at least one badass female character that it's weird to read one that has absolutely none. Arwen is basically just mentioned and sits by a fireplace. I don't think she actually says anything. In this case, the movies are misleading as to the importance of Arwen in the story as it seems to not be a major part in the books. However, I had heard that this was case from some friends that had read the series, so it didn't come as a surprise.

This book is so packed with adventure that I now understand why the movies were so long. I never understood why, since the books aren't very lengthy, why the movies were all close to 3 hours long, but I understand now. J.R.R Tolkien's writing style lends itself to including a lot of action in very little space, so despite the fact the books are actually shorter than some of the modern fantasy we see today, a lot of stuff happens and most of it is important. Well, except for the parts where he tends to go on a little long about the wildlife, but don't let those moments deter you from further reading!

I can see why this series has captured the hearts of people for generations, as it has captured mine. Will I read this book 20 times? Not likely. But I will most likely read it again in the future. It's a story that never really gets old and will continue to inspire writers and captivate readers for years, even decades, to come. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
This book takes a while to get into and I did find it a bit dull at times but i ended up really liking it. At the beginning I was reading it and was enjoying Tolkien's writing more then the actual story. If you previously read the hobbit you should know that this book wasn't nearly as fast paced. There was a section in the middle where I lost interest but once they started travelling again and the pace picked up i enjoyed it again. ( )
  KatesReviews | Jan 24, 2015 |
Tolkien never let me down in his middle Earth stories. Something new every chapter. The man was simply amazing the way he built each story on the previous one. I would like to see the notes he worked off of to get a glimpse into his mind as he wrote. ( )
  LarryGerovac | Jan 21, 2015 |
(8.1)
  mshampson | Jan 1, 2015 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue -

This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One -

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

Sagan om ringen is "provisionally separated" as a distinct J.R.R. Tolkien Work , pending correct identification of these copies with either the complete trilogy, The Lord of the Rings ( http://www.librarything.com/work/1386... ), or with Volume I only, The Fellowship of the Ring ( http://www.librarything.com/work/3203... ). Please separate and re-combine the particular copies of this work as appropriate. Ideally, Sagan om ringen as a distinct LT Work will soon disappear! Thank you.
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,159,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible