The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the…

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) (original 1954; edition 2003)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

30,058None28 (4.38)5 / 429
Member:imawittlecorny
Title:The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2003), Paperback, 398 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The fellowship of the ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

20th century (164) adventure (366) British (183) British literature (125) classic (606) classics (317) dwarves (179) elves (263) epic (278) epic fantasy (173) fantasy (5,871) fantasy fiction (117) fiction (3,151) high fantasy (133) hobbits (333) J.R.R. Tolkien (182) literature (305) Lord of the Rings (1,058) magic (209) Middle Earth (814) novel (347) own (198) paperback (125) read (515) science fiction (172) series (338) sff (227) to-read (153) Tolkien (1,029) wizards (173)

English (218)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (233)
I can't give Lord of the Rings anything other than a five-star rating. ( )
  linda.temple | Apr 9, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.
Refers to entire series:

J.R.R. Tolkien was the master of fantasy, and that's not just because he was the first to write a very popular modern epic.

What makes Tolkien superior was how he used his extensive knowledge of mythology and linguistics to create his own complex world. He was a professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, a fellow of Pembroke College, and a fellow of Merton College where he studied and taught the linguistics of early English. Over many years he created his own elvish language with a complex syntax and grammar, and a complete history and mythology of Middle Earth (see the twelve volumes of The Histories of Middle-Earth below.) This gives his works so much complexity and texture that when you read them, you feel like you've dropped into the middle of a real civilization.

Besides the amazing world-building, Tolkien builds excellent characters and uses them to explore such heavy human themes as friendship, love, greed, power, redemption, gender-roles, self-sacrifice, and death. This is not a light epic for a Sunday afternoon. This is intense, bone-chilling, goose-bump raising stuff. You can feel the weight of the world on the shoulders of Frodo and his companions. And, though there's a happy ending, it comes with much suffering and loss.

And all the while, Tolkien's writing is beautiful and poignant. In my opinion, the only writers I've read who even begin to compare are Ursula LeGuin, Susanna Clarke, and perhaps Lois McMaster Bujold.
Read more J.R.R. Tolkien book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I will never be able to be anything but extremely subjective with this series. I read the trilogy and its precursor, The Hobbit, while I was in junior high. It was the first book that made me stay up into the wee hours of the night just to see what happened next. It was the first book that made me realize literature could carry me away to a fully realized world. It was the first book that made me sad when I finished it. My relationship to reading was revolutionized by the time I finished this series, and I will always hold the Lord of the Rings series in a special regard, set apart from other books.

Who doesn't know the plot of this series? Frodo inherits the one ring from Bilbo, and Gandalf informs him of its infamous history. Frodo agrees to carry the ring to Rivendell, where the great minds of Middle Earth will try to devise a plan for its destruction. Samwise Gamgee won't leave Frodo's side, and they pick up Merry and Pippin along the way. They manage to arrive at their destination, but are nearly killed by wights and dark horsemen along the way. Fortunately, they meet Strider (aka Aragorn), and he uses all of his survival skills to shepherd the four hobbits to the last homely house.

Here the Council of Elrond is held, and a fateful decision to destroy the ring by throwing it into the fires of Mt. Doom is made. Frodo takes the burden of ring bearer on himself, as he feels that a person of small power and authority would be a safer candidate, less likely to be swayed by the ring's seductive power. However, he will not be alone. The Fellowship of the Ring is formed, comprised of nine members to match the nine ring wraiths of Sauron. Together they battle the elements, natural and unnatural, and are forced to find a way through the Mines of Moria. They survive, but at great cost, losing one of the strongest members of the team. Nonetheless, they persevere, through the forest of Lothlorien, to the brink of Mordor, where the team finally splits apart, torn by the treacherous influence of the ring. Frodo and Sam strike off towards Mordor on their own, and the others are savagely beset by orcs. Their eventual fates are revealed in the next book.

I was surprised at some plot developments I had forgotten, which comprised a large portion of the novel. I vaguely remembered Tom Bombadil, and the barrow wights, but I thought of those as small episodes, when actually the adventures related to the little ageless man occupy a large part of the narrative. The trek through Old Forest was sufficiently eerie, a minor echo of the Mirkwood journey from the preceding book (The Hobbit). Much of the earlier section of the novel was lost to my memory, probably because it has a slower pace and builds up the rising tension and the menace of the Nazgul, without the heroics of the Fellowship's adventure. I really enjoyed rediscovering this portion of the story, which was also not well covered in the movies.

What are my reactions as I reread Fellowship over two decades after my first exposure? I enjoyed it, and I nostalgically remembered how much of an impact it had on me as a girl. The addictive quality was absent, but considering that I already knew the story, and I have matured as a reader so much since my first reading, this was hardly surprising. I find it impossible to recapture emotions stirred when I first discover an amazing story, whatever the book. Instead, the narrative was quietly enjoyable, still capable of filling me with suspense and triumph, and cast a lovely shadow of what it once was over my reading. ( )
  nmhale | Apr 5, 2014 |
A classic. The book was easier to follow as I had seen one of the older movie versions. A good tale but a bit long and full of unusual and made-up words. Not surprising as the study of language was Tolkien's "day job." Glad I read it and I can recommend to anyone. Full of tales, adventures, moral musings about right and wrong, strength of friendship, elves, dwarves and more as Frodo and his fellowship of companions sets off on his quest to destroy the Ring. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 2, 2014 |
If you shall read but one series, let it be The Lord of the Rings. ( )
  evolvingthread | Feb 15, 2014 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
   Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone.
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his Throne.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows Lie,
    One Ring to rule them all. On Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
IN the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue -

This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One -

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

Sagan om ringen is "provisionally separated" as a distinct J.R.R. Tolkien Work , pending correct identification of these copies with either the complete trilogy, The Lord of the Rings ( http://www.librarything.com/work/1386... ), or with Volume I only, The Fellowship of the Ring ( http://www.librarything.com/work/3203... ). Please separate and re-combine the particular copies of this work as appropriate. Ideally, Sagan om ringen as a distinct LT Work will soon disappear! Thank you.
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

4 2071

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible