The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the…

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) (original 1954; edition 2003)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

35,56329617 (4.37)5 / 485
Member:imawittlecorny
Title:The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2003), Paperback, 398 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

English (275)  Spanish (8)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (292)
i think this is my favourite series ever. and my favourite character is aragorn. just saying. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
In my Year of Nostalgic Re-reads, TLOTR is an obvious one for me. I used to reread it every year from the time I was 14 or so until maybe 24. After that, there was life, and the re-reads became less frequent. I think the last time was more than 15 years ago, because I know I've not read it since Peter Jackson began his desecration, and I was in grad school before that (1999-2000), so it's been a while. I'm older, and quite obviously have a different perspective than so long ago, but the intimate attachment is still there. Excising the claptrap and lowbrow fanfiction of Peter Jackson's version is easier given the temporal distance from that horror as the memories flood back with each word. Great stuff. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I'm sorry but I did not enjoy the book and am very aware that I may be the only person NOT on the Tolkien fan-wagon. I mean I tried very hard to like it, and then when I didn't like it I tried very hard to appreciate it but that didn't work either. I enjoy fantasy novels and expected to enjoy this as well, but sadly I just didn't. For me, the book just seemed to drag on endlessly and I didn't really like any of the characters.

One of these days I will revisit this book and see if my opinion changes. Some times, you have to be in the right frame of mind to read certain books and wonder if that's the case with this series.
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
I think this book is much easier tackled in audiobook format. The story is interesting, but the departures into detail and lore can be distracting and tedious – not because they’re boring in themselves, but because they are frequent. Nonetheless, the book is worth a read to anyone who enjoys adventure or epic stories.

One thing I had immense difficulty doing as I read this is separating Gandalf from Sir Ian McKellan, Merry from Dominic Monaghan, etc. I have so much more exposure to the films than the books that their characterization takes prominence. That said….

I think the characters are, individually, a lot stronger in the books in matters of personal usefulness, but they aren’t very different from one another. Frodo has a bit more strength of character, but his personality reflects the same as Merry and Pippin – in fact, the only one who really feels different is Sam. Aragorn and Boromir, as well, feel very similar as people. Elrond and Celeborn and Legolas all feel the same. However, the characters who stand out do stand out. Galadriel is lovely and fearsome. Sam is sweet and suspicious. Gimli is hard and brave. Gandalf is wise and protective. Tom and Goldberry are magic personified. These are the characters worth watching.

Tolkien is a master world-builder. Middle Earth is intricately plotted. It is a fierce character of its own right. The Fellowship stop in many places that bear a weighty history, and Tolkien shares the right amount of these stories to distract the reader from the trek. This world is absolutely alive and the reader can feel it in every cloud, stream, forest, and mountain.

It’s difficult to judge the journey of the Fellowship and still be fair to it, one way or the other. Fellowship of the Ring is a travelling story, an adventure story, and a story discussing the balance between good and evil. It doesn’t feel “original” in any of these places, but the reader must take pause because Tolkien helped create this genre. Other books have copied him. That in and of itself is just about the greatest compliment a story can get, if it has inspired thousands of other tales.

Aside from that, Fellowship can feel a bit bumbling to the reader. I personally like it best of the trilogy, because I like the series of miniature adventures. The barrow wight, in particular, I had forgotten and I adored that scene. Moria, too, keeps the reader anxious for the group.

Here’s where the story loses some points from my personal taste.

On some level, I feel like Tolkien doesn’t want to be writing this book. At every opportunity, he wanders off the path of the story usually to talk about the plights of the elves, or Gondor, or the history of the ring, or to just generally be talking about lore and not the quest. It makes me impatient to get back to the story.

Also, the book must have been 20% poetry or song. Mostly the unnecessary or distracting kind.

Which brings me to Rob Inglis, the narrator. Save for the occasional foray into using Merry’s voice for Frodo and the such, he did a truly excellent job with his pacing and characterization. I think he did and excellent job reading the book, but the poetry, the songs? There’s be an awkward pause before each one, and if anyone save Sam was singing it, the transition would be awkward. He sings the songs in a deep bass that doesn’t match any of the characters and it was just plain weird.

I think that overall, this is a well-told tale, despite my personal grudges about its telling. I know many who would argue the importance of every word in this story, and any tale that ignites that sort of passion deserves respect. Overall I think I would revisit this book, because I do like the hobbits. I like the idea of the stories a lot and all the while we have Gollum following which, alongside with the “what happens next” is definitely enough to get the reader to pick up book two.

(Cross-posted to Goodreads and my blog) ( )
  Morteana | Feb 24, 2017 |
Why did I take so long to read this book! Have given myself a good talking to! Excellent read that very much stands the test of time, and the film overall seems to have been very faithful to the book which is most unusual. Can't wait to continue on with the trilogy. Please don't commit my mistake and leave these in the to be read pile for years! ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jan 16, 2017 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible