The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the…

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) (original 1954; edition 2003)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

30,70124226 (4.38)5 / 429
Member:imawittlecorny
Title:The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2003), Paperback, 398 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

English (223)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (238)
I LOVE the Lord of the Rings books. They're so detailed that The Fellowship of the Ring lost my attention several times when I first tried to read it, but as soon as I got through the first few chapters and wrapped my head around all that was going on, I was captivated by the intricate world Tolkien created, with different cultures and languages and places, all interacting in different ways to decide the fate of the world. The Fellowship of the Ring is a wonderful tale of adventure and companionship, with characters that are real and well-developed. Tolkien creates such a world that you can read the books over and over again as many times as you want and see more in them every time. ( )
  WaltersFive | Jun 20, 2014 |
Write-up to follow. ( )
1 vote | angusmiranda | Jun 10, 2014 |
From his fortress tower in Mordor, the evil sorcerer Sauron sends forth a darkness that creeps across the enchanted land of Middle-earth. Men and elves and dwarves have raised armies in futile efforts to combat this evil. Great wizards have failed to keep it in check. Sauron's shadow threatens to engulf all. But in the peaceful, far-off Shire, a hobbit named Frodo Baggins holds a ring that may be the key to defeating Sauron. Joining together in a fellowship of his closest friends and a mix of unlikely allies, under the guidance of the wizard Gandalf, Frodo prepares for a perilous journey in a desperate quest that may be the only hope for restoring light to the land. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 5, 2014 |
This book is the first of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This book starts off when Bilbo and Frodo are having their birthdays and Bilbo gives Frodo The Ring. The Ring is a magical item that was used by Sauron in the first age. Sauron and his army of evil creatures orcs, goblins, trolls, etc., fought against the good guy armies of middle earth. This army included the armies of men (Gondor,Rohan,and others) the elves from Rivendell, Mirkwood, and others, and last but not least the dwarves from Erebor and other lands. Eventually a king of men cut off Sauron's finger with the ring and took it. When Frodo received the ring he wanted to dispose of it. So Gandalf a wise wizard told Frodo to throw it into the mount doom in Mordor.

I thought this book was really good I liked all the action. All the stories were cool and i liked the ranger Aragorn. I liked how Tolkien based most of his book off Norse tradition. I found the elves interesting because their way of life is diverse from other races. They are smart and cunning and have the ability to combat the hardest foes in middle earth. One thing I didn't like was how The Ring possessed Bilbo. That wasn't so cool.
  GarrettE1.B4 | May 29, 2014 |
This is one of the perfect books for reading. It teaches you a lot of vocabulary and is adventurous as well. Tolkien is very serious about his masterpiece with it being a series. I would recommend each teacher to have this novel in their classroom library. Each and every person will be more knowledgeable and smart after reading this pretty challenging novel. ( )
1 vote sabdelaz | Apr 19, 2014 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue -

This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One -

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

Sagan om ringen is "provisionally separated" as a distinct J.R.R. Tolkien Work , pending correct identification of these copies with either the complete trilogy, The Lord of the Rings ( http://www.librarything.com/work/1386... ), or with Volume I only, The Fellowship of the Ring ( http://www.librarything.com/work/3203... ). Please separate and re-combine the particular copies of this work as appropriate. Ideally, Sagan om ringen as a distinct LT Work will soon disappear! Thank you.
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible