Le Seigneur des Anneaux: La Communaute de…

Le Seigneur des Anneaux: La Communaute de l'Anneau (1954)

by TOLKIEN

31,30024825 (4.37)5 / 429
Member:mccutcheon
Title:Le Seigneur des Anneaux: La Communaute de l'Anneau
Authors:TOLKIEN
Info:Distribooks Int'l inc, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:Tolkien

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

English (229)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (244)
The first volume of The Lord of the Rings begins the journey of Frodo Baggins from the peaceful paradise-like Shire towards the dark hellish land of Mordor, thus launching modern fantasy. Author J.R.R. Tolkien took almost 20 years to write the sequel to his bestseller The Hobbit during which he created the entire history of Middle Earth from The Creation to the Bilbo's return from the Lonely Mountain to provide his epic with a grounding in a real place. It is in 'The Fellowship of the Ring' that the reader gets a livid picture of the world of Middle Earth.

'The Fellowship of the Ring' contains the first two books of six that Tolkien divided The Lord of the Rings into. The first details the passing of the Ring to Frodo and the journey from the Shire to Rivendell with the Nazgul in pursuit. The second details the forming, journey, and breaking of the Company of the Ring through death and separation. Throughout Fellowship, Tolkien continually builds the world the characters inhabit by having them relate history and lore of the part of the world they are traversing.

Unlike The Hobbit, Fellowship feels like it has been transcribed not from an oral tradition but from a dry history that the author attempted to fashion into a story. Throughout the entire volume this can be see in the tone of the writing, which is not a laid back, but one of building even throughout action sequences such as the flight to Rivendell and race through Moria. Although J.R.R. Tolkien intended his fantasy epic to be published whole, it was a publisher decision to split the tale that in some ways gives the entire volume this odd tone from the first page to the last. Where the reader is left on the last page of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' is not suppose to be where they are left, they are suppose to go directly to book three to continue the story. With this in mind, the reader better appreciate what Fellowship is and what it is not.

In and of itself 'The Fellowship of the Ring' is not a whole book, it is the first third of a complete story and thus is has to be judged on this. Within the pages of Fellowship, Tolkien gives the reader a vivid sense of the world of Middle Earth and what is at stake on Frodo's quest to destroy the Ring. While the action and adventure are present, they are behind the character development needed for greater needs later on in the overall story of The Lord of the Rings. In Fellowship, Tolkien's epic has a very good beginning that will keep readers looking forward to see things develop in The Two Towers. ( )
  mattries37315 | Nov 3, 2014 |
The second time reading through I really was able to understand and appreciate this amazing piece of work better. ( )
  Shea42 | Oct 19, 2014 |
Brilliant sums up my opinion of the Lord of the Rings, which was not intended to be a series of books. The publisher feared that a book that large, and expensive, could not sell. The spawn of the fantasy trilogy should be blamed on George Allen & Unwin, not Tolkien :) ( )
  Screamingecko | Sep 25, 2014 |
No comments, I think all has been said about this masterpiece. Probably the books that I have read the most. ( )
  Markthenils | Sep 16, 2014 |
When I started reading this I was so surprised that I actually like it. I'm reading it for a class at university. My professor loves these books so much!

See my full review here.

Tolkien’s descriptions are so beautiful and intricate. He really knows how to paint a strong picture in the reader’s mind of the setting, the journey, the actions, and the characters. His talent with description is really one of the biggest strengths of the novel.

The characters are probably my favourite aspect of this book. Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn are really well-written characters. They are similar and not. Tolkien tends to have characters mirror one another in small ways so as to create a bond between them. Can we just talk about how witty Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn are? I love it. Though Sam is often child-like, he is no push over and he’s so funny. So is Aragorn. I see Aragorn as a sort of older brother to Frodo and Sam. He teases them, tests them, and protects them. It’s a lovely dynamic to read. Of course, the friendship between Sam and Frodo is so special. Sam is unfailingly loyal to Frodo even when it’s hard to be (he may start to waiver but he ultimately chooses to stay loyal to Frodo). Also, Gandalf is an awesome character. He is their sort of Father or Grandfather figure so of course his assumed death is very hard for the characters in the novel .

The plot and details are also very well done. Tolkien weaves in a lot of foreshadowing but it’s not in-your-face. It’s subtle but it adds to the story so that the flow is nice. There is also moments of comic relief in an otherwise tense plot. Those moments work really well to lighten things up and keep the reader from being overwhelmed by the drama.

As for things which I didn’t like, well, there aren’t too many. I found that Tolkien often repeated his descriptions throughout the book. Sometimes he would do this two pages in a row and it made me think that he was struggling to find new ways to describe things. Another thing which is annoying is that Tolkien names so many things in this book and it’s really hard to remember all of them. Each character or thing or place can even have multiple names and Tolkien alternates between these. It can get a bit confusing sometimes. I know that this novel focuses on the importance of language and words but I think that he went almost a little overboard with naming things.

Overall, this book is so well-written. It’s surprising how much I like it. It does take awhile to read because it’s a long book, but it definitely does draw you into its story-world. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue -

This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One -

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

Sagan om ringen is "provisionally separated" as a distinct J.R.R. Tolkien Work , pending correct identification of these copies with either the complete trilogy, The Lord of the Rings ( http://www.librarything.com/work/1386... ), or with Volume I only, The Fellowship of the Ring ( http://www.librarything.com/work/3203... ). Please separate and re-combine the particular copies of this work as appropriate. Ideally, Sagan om ringen as a distinct LT Work will soon disappear! Thank you.
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,026,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible