Le Seigneur des Anneaux: La Communaute de…

Le Seigneur des Anneaux: La Communaute de l'Anneau (1954)

34,60229319 (4.37)5 / 452
Title:Le Seigneur des Anneaux: La Communaute de l'Anneau
Info:Distribooks Int'l inc, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

English (271)  Spanish (8)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (288)
Before I started this review, I really had to think about it, how do you review such a book? This is a classic, one third of one of the most famous series in the world, and is loved by many many people.

I am one of these people, I really really enjoyed this novel, it is a great novel on its own, but also a good beginning to the series.

I watched all the movies in a weekend earlier this year, and I worried that this might hinder my enjoyment of the novel, but the opposite is true. Seeing the movies actually increased my enjoyment of the novel. It made keeping track of all the hundreds of characters easier, as I imagined the actors as their characters, and it helped with remembering who was who.

The plot of this novel is long, very long, and isn't exactly quick paced. The thing that makes it so long paced is the inclusion of lots of great descriptions. For example:

"Looking ahead they could see only tree-trunks of innumerable sizes and shapes: straight or bent, twisted, leaning, squat or slender, smooth or gnarled and branched; and all the stems were green or grey with moss and slimy, shaggy growths."

The large use of description does at times get tiring however, especially after long periods of it, but the imagery it creates is pretty spectacular.

One small negative to this book is the large cast of characters Tolkien has created. Although I completely understand why he did this, with such a diverse world, and many races of creatures, many characters was inevitable, it was perhaps too many.

My favourite characters were; Tom Bombadill, Sam and Aragorn. I thought Tom was a great character, and it's a shame he isn't featured in the movies. He was a really mystical and magical character that I just thought was cool. I liked Sam because I really valued his loyalty to Frodo, no matter what Frodo did, Sam stuck by him. He is brave too, which will appear more later in the series. Aragorn is the action hero of the book. He is a mysterious stranger that the Hobbits meet, that is very handy with a sword. He is basically just awesome and super kick-ass.

The setting is a great part of the novel, Middle Earth, is a completely unique setting, which must have taken some imagining to come up with. The world is very detailed, the addition of maps at the front of the novel help to increase the detail. The setting adds to the novel, it's definitely part of the appeal of the book. Middle Earth seems colourful and well crafted, with a nice diversity to it.

The novel focuses around Frodo. which help to increase your understanding of the main character. It is told from a 3rd person point of view though, so you still enjoy all the action from other characters too.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel, I am now officially a Lord of the Rings fan. I would really recommend this novel, even if you have been a little cautious about starting it, its definitely worth it. I can't wait to get started on the next novel. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Classics for Beginners - July
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Read again - finished July 25, 2014. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
  CPI | Jul 29, 2016 |
I chose this book as one of my fantasy books. I love the hobbit series and the epic battles in the movies and book. I admire Bilbo and his friends who battle evil despite the many dangers they face. The underline theme good vs evil and goodness wins. Keeps reader interested worth reading!!
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 15, 2016 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard
Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review
A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph
A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman
added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore-the Rong of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destory all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed-Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson
The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.
Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,791,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible