The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the…

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1) (original 1954; edition 1999)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

38,30331822 (4.37)5 / 513
Member:selfnoise
Title:The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (1999), Paperback
Tags:fantasy, middle earth

The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

English (296)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (314)
I've started this book so many times, but this time I succeeded. It's quite the read and sometimes not the most thrilling. However it's an amazingly woven plot and a beautiful story if you can get into it. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
I enjoyed this more than The Hobbit and more as the story went on. As a fan of the movies it has taken me quite awhile to get to the first book. What surprised me was how the land is a character in the book, it has it's own spirit and will. Enjoyable. ( )
  bookmarkaussie | Oct 27, 2018 |
"When evening in the Shire was grey,
His footsteps on the hill were heard;
Before the dawn he went away
On journey long without a word.

From Wilderland to western shore,
From northern waste to southern hill,
Through dragon-lair and hidden door
And darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
With mortal and immortal folk,
With bird on bough and beast in den,
In their own secret tongues he spoke.

A deadly sword, a healing hand,
A back that bent beneath its load;
A trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
A weary pilgrim on the road.

A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
Swift in anger, quick to laugh;
An old man in a battered hat
Who leaned upon a thorny staff.

He stood upon the bridge alone
And fire and shadow both defied;
his staff was broken on the stone,
In Khazad-Dum his wisdom died."
~Frodo Baggins~

I have long loved the Lord of the Ring movies, yet it has been many years since I have watched them and this is the first time I have read the books. Always...ALWAYS...the book is better than the movie (although, in this case, not by much as they did such an excellent job following the book). I wonder, as Tom Bombadil is such a key character, as he is in more than one chapter and is mentioned by other characters on more than one occasion, why he wasn't included in the movie. In any case, when Gandalf the Grey stopped the Balrog in the movie, it always made me cry at the loss. In the book, the loss was so much more intense. This poem that came to Frodo as a memoriam to Gandalf really struck me hard. Such a well penned poem!

Ah, Tolkien was quite a master of high-fantasy literature. It is no wonder why he is held in such high regard and why so many authors of fantasy hold him in high esteem and why not just authors, but readers alike, look to him in a kind of reverence and compare other books of fantasy containing elves, dwarves, trolls and the like to his works.

The poem most often quoted from the movie makes so much more sense when reading the book:

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king."

It instantly made perfect sense hearing it as it came in a letter from Gandalf to Frodo, referring to Aragorn. The further I read, the more I understood the meaning of it and it made it all the more beautiful. Many books have I rated in my top favorites, but even they fail in comparison to this. To not love this book is to not love the true art of writing. Oh, to be a gifted author like Tolkien! ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. I think that seeing the movie a number of times, really helped me to understand it a bit better. Although there were some things in the book, that didn’t happen, or were portrayed in a different way. Over all, I loved it, and I think that J. R. R. Tolkien would have approved. ( )
  seascape | Sep 29, 2018 |
I feel reluctant to review a classic like LOTR, because others have such strong opinions surrounding it; to say anything other than praiseworthy can bring about the scorn of dedicated fans. Still, there’s no other way for me to remember what I thought about The Fellowship of the Ring than by documenting it.

First, I want to make clear my understanding that the Lord of the Rings has had a profound impact on fiction, and in my opinion, defined the genre of fantasy. It is incredibly intricate and fully realized, even to a point of being tedious. At times its almost like reading an encyclopaedia or a travel guide.

I will also admit that I saw the movies first, and so going in, I already had expectations and biases. Strangely, though, I think seeing the movies kept a lot of the momentum going. I wanted to know where Peter Jackson got his muse from. I wanted to see how different Tolkien’s world was.

I’m going to say it. I don’t think that J.R.R. Tolkien is as great a writer as everyone thinks he is.

That isn’t to say that he isn’t creative or a master of plot. The mythology, rings, and monsters are genius. I do have some problems with his writing style, though. Sometimes the suspense is there, but often it is so bogged down with tedious things like poetry, lineage, and the lovely shape of grass blades that the momentum is nearly lost. I do understand, however, that the genre wasn’t really a thing before Tolkien came around, and so I get that he was establishing the beginnings of what fantasy is today. But fiction still needs things like ongoing suspense and a strong sense of the protagonist’s voice.

I’m going to say something else that to many will sound traitorous to fantasy. I hate Frodo.

He’s whiny, snivelling, and annoying. If I hear him say something about how heavy the ring is one more time, I swear, I’ll summon a Balrog. It seems odd to me that the ring bearer is the character whose personality is the least definable. Sam, Gandalf, and Aragorn, for example, seem much more concrete and easy to visualize. And more likeable, for that matter.

Despite my qualms, I did enjoy the first third of this (very) long novel. A lot of this rating is given to the impact that the story has had, and there is an element of respect I have to Tolkien.

4 stars. ( )
1 vote lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |
Masterpiece? Oh yes, I've no doubt about that.
added by GYKM | editEvening Standard

Tolkien was a storyteller of genius
added by GYKM | editLiterary Review

A triumphant close ... a grand piece of work, grand in both conception and execution. An astonishing imaginative tour de force.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph

A story magnificently told, with every kind of colour and movement and greatness
added by GYKM | editNew Statesman

added by Shortride | editTime (Nov 22, 1954)

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Tre har elvernes konge i dybeste skove,
Syv har dværgenes herrer i sale af sten,
Ni har mennesket dødeligt, dømt til at sove
Én har den natsote fyrste for ondskab og mén
I Mordors land, hvor skygger ruge.
Én Ring er over dem alle, Én Ring kan finde de andre
Én Ring kan bringe dem alle, i mørket lænke dem alle
I Mordors land, hvor skygger ruge.
Prologue - This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
Chap One - When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
Denne bog handler for en stor del om hobbitterne, og af dens sider vil læseren kune finde ud af meget om deres karakter og lidt om deres historie.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume I, The Fellowship of the Ring; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.
In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
-Amazon
Galadriel says,
“All will love me and despair!”
What a Drama Queen.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339703, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Thus begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic The Lord of the Rings, which continues in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit, Frodo Baggins, is entrusted by the wizard Gandalf with an immense task: he must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power, the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,158,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible