The two towers by J. R. R. Tolkien

The two towers (1954)

by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author)

Series: The Lord of the Rings (2)

27,039None37 (4.38)374
20th century (153) adventure (309) British (165) British literature (119) classic (543) classics (279) dwarves (159) elves (226) epic (235) epic fantasy (163) fantasy (5,432) fantasy fiction (105) fiction (2,943) high fantasy (128) hobbits (289) J.R.R. Tolkien (170) literature (280) Lord of the Rings (1,031) magic (176) Middle Earth (773) novel (316) own (173) paperback (117) read (448) science fiction (153) series (287) sff (202) to-read (117) Tolkien (973) wizards (149)

English (137)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (149)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.
Refers to entire series:

J.R.R. Tolkien was the master of fantasy, and that's not just because he was the first to write a very popular modern epic.

What makes Tolkien superior was how he used his extensive knowledge of mythology and linguistics to create his own complex world. He was a professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, a fellow of Pembroke College, and a fellow of Merton College where he studied and taught the linguistics of early English. Over many years he created his own elvish language with a complex syntax and grammar, and a complete history and mythology of Middle Earth (see the twelve volumes of The Histories of Middle-Earth below.) This gives his works so much complexity and texture that when you read them, you feel like you've dropped into the middle of a real civilization.

Besides the amazing world-building, Tolkien builds excellent characters and uses them to explore such heavy human themes as friendship, love, greed, power, redemption, gender-roles, self-sacrifice, and death. This is not a light epic for a Sunday afternoon. This is intense, bone-chilling, goose-bump raising stuff. You can feel the weight of the world on the shoulders of Frodo and his companions. And, though there's a happy ending, it comes with much suffering and loss.

And all the while, Tolkien's writing is beautiful and poignant. In my opinion, the only writers I've read who even begin to compare are Ursula LeGuin, Susanna Clarke, and perhaps Lois McMaster Bujold.
Read more J.R.R. Tolkien book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I finally got around to reading The Two Towers. It feels absurd that I haven't read the series before, but I'm pretty lazy. Anyway, I think I enjoyed this book a bit more than The Fellowship, which surprised me because I usually find the second book of trilogies lacking/nothing more than set-ups for the grand finale. But I liked the darker tone and it felt like Tolkien suddenly decided to change his writing style drastically in the middle of the second part (I swear I could probably find the exact paragraph where I started to feel a shift in tone). The writing became more... intangible? Dreamlike? I dunno. But it just suddenly felt more "literary" toward the end. ( )
  stephaniesanders | Mar 21, 2014 |
Pretty good. Better than the movie. ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |
If you shall read but one series, let it be The Lord of the Rings. ( )
  evolvingthread | Feb 15, 2014 |
I have been told (humph), that I've given this book an unfair review. So in the interest of keeping all my limbs attached, I'm re-reading.
1 vote | Gglhack | Feb 5, 2014 |
That 'The Lord of the Rings' should appeal to readers of the most austere tastes suggests that they too now long for the old, forthright, virile kind of narrative... the author has had intimate access to an epic tradition stretching back and back and disappearing in the mists of Germanic history, so that his story has a kind of echoing depth behind it...

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pennanen, EilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Aragorn sped on up the hill. Every now and then he bent to the ground. Hobbits go light, and their footprints are not easy even for a Ranger to read, but not far from the top a spring crossed the path, and in the wet earth he saw what he was seeking.
"Not asleep, dead".
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume II, The Two Towers; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The Fellowship was scattered. Some were bracing hopelessly for war against the ancient evil of Sauron. Some were contending with the treachery of the wizard Saruman. Only Frodo and Sam were left to take the accursed Ring of Power to be destroyed in Mordor–the dark Kingdom where Sauron was supreme. Their guide was Gollum, deceitful and lust-filled, slave to the corruption of the Ring.

Frodo must carry the One Ring through the ghostly borders of Mordor, Land of the Enemy, and back to the Fire which can destroy its evil powers.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible