The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers v.2: Two…

The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers v.2: Two Towers Vol 2 (original 1954; edition 2001)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Member:rightantler
Title:The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers v.2: Two Towers Vol 2
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2001), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y02, fiction

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

English (163)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (176)
The Fellowship has broken, and awkwardly enough, so has the narrative. I mean that in an editorial sense. In this middle volume Tolkein has split story into two, cleanly separated smaller volumes—one follows Aragorn and company throughout the land of Rohan, and the other follows Sam and Frodo on their quest to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Mar 9, 2016 |
All I have to say is Faramir: SUCH a better hero in the book! ( )
  VeronicaB. | Mar 7, 2016 |
Better than the first, but not as good as the third. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
I finally read the entire thing - well, I listened to it via audiobook. This was my third attempt, although the other two were over a decade ago. I never could finish the trilogy. Inevitably, I'd get lost somewhere in the third book (having skimmed most of the second) and quit. Well, due to it being audio, I managed to finished the entire thing. My favorite part was the Ride of the Rohirrim, followed closely the arrival of Aragorn at the Fields of Pelennor, with his banner unfurled! Other than that, the story was good - with the right amount of introspection and adventure. I found the lack of female characters disappointing, but the female characters that are in the story are strong - particularly Eowyn - who is my favorite. There seemed an excessive amount of singing, but in a society and culture were most stories are told via song, that makes sense.
While I recognize and honor the historical and literary value of Tolkien's work, and understand that Tolkien work is monumental in the realm of fantasy literature, I don't think Tolkien will ever be a favorite. It's just not for me. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 12, 2016 |
Re-read of the book. I first read it in Spanish, several years ago, and now I read the original English version. ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
That 'The Lord of the Rings' should appeal to readers of the most austere tastes suggests that they too now long for the old, forthright, virile kind of narrative... the author has had intimate access to an epic tradition stretching back and back and disappearing in the mists of Germanic history, so that his story has a kind of echoing depth behind it...

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pennanen, EilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Aragorn sped on up the hill. Every now and then he bent to the ground. Hobbits go light, and their footprints are not easy even for a Ranger to read, but not far from the top a spring crossed the path, and in the wet earth he saw what he was seeking.
"Not asleep, dead".
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume II, The Two Towers; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The Fellowship was scattered. Some were bracing hopelessly for war against the ancient evil of Sauron. Some were contending with the treachery of the wizard Saruman. Only Frodo and Sam were left to take the accursed Ring of Power to be destroyed in Mordor–the dark Kingdom where Sauron was supreme. Their guide was Gollum, deceitful and lust-filled, slave to the corruption of the Ring.

The second book of the famous fantasy trilogy.

4 2069

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible