The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Two Towers (original 1954; edition 1977)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

28,91916532 (4.38)375
Title:The Two Towers
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:The Folio Society
Tags:FOLIO, Modern Fantasy, Modern English Lit.

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

English (152)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (165)
@two_towers +fellowship_ring ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
Imperdível ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Review of The Two Towers, by J.R.R. Tolkien. As I continue my journey through The Lord of the Rings, I have to say I love the Ents! I have always wondered about the lives of trees, how they stay in one place and grow for as much as five thousand years and are a great comfort to humans. Tolkien answers the question of what trees would be like as sentient beings with the ability to move around. He shows great empathy for trees and forests and for their plight, as civilization hacks away at them with little concern. In the words of the hobbit Pippin, “’One felt as if there was an enormous wall of them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking…’” (452) At the necessary moment, the trees themselves take action against what threatens them.
At the opposite end of the spectrum is the blasted area around Mordor, “a land defiled, diseased beyond all healing” (617), which resembles the poisonous battle-fields of World War I and II--or the garbage pits of the post-industrial world. I thought of David Alfaro Siqueiros’ 1937 painting, The Echo of a Scream, in which a half-naked child sits on a wasteland of industrial detritus. The faceless marching minions of the Dark Lord also remind me of expressionist paintings of struggle and imperialism from the same period. The terrible pull of the Ring becomes a heavy burden for Frodo, the closer he comes to Mordor. It is both a psychological force and a physical one. The blasted landscape and armies of orcs and wraiths might become too much for the reader, if they were not leavened with moments of surprise such as the appearance of an “oliphant” (elephant), and excursions into more pleasant landscapes, such as the woods of Ithilien. Gollum, repugnant and malevolent, is yet rather touching and funny, with his babyish speech and craving for raw fish--almost as strong as his desire for his Precious, the Ring. Near the end of The Two Towers, Tolkien offers an unusual aside in which he contemplates the nature of tales, their characters, and their audience. Of Gollum, he says through the voice of the hobbit Sam, “I wonder if he thinks he’s the hero or the villain?” (697) And speaking through Frodo, Tolkien says, “You may know what kind of a tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don’t know”(696). And that’s part of the pleasure of reading The Lord of the Rings: we may know how the tale ends, but we identify so fully with Frodo and Sam and Pippin that we strongly feel their peril, their loyalty, and the uncertainty of their fate. ( )
  Lori_Eshleman | Jul 17, 2015 |
Amazing story! What else could you expect from Tolkien?

I didn't like it as much as the first book, but it did have it's benefits. I just couldn't stand the back and forth action, though I know it was necessary.

Review to come. ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
This is the second part of the Lord of the Rings series. I love the book. New characters were brought into the book. I love the battles that take place in the book. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | May 10, 2015 |
That 'The Lord of the Rings' should appeal to readers of the most austere tastes suggests that they too now long for the old, forthright, virile kind of narrative... the author has had intimate access to an epic tradition stretching back and back and disappearing in the mists of Germanic history, so that his story has a kind of echoing depth behind it...

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pennanen, EilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Aragorn sped on up the hill. Every now and then he bent to the ground. Hobbits go light, and their footprints are not easy even for a Ranger to read, but not far from the top a spring crossed the path, and in the wet earth he saw what he was seeking.
"Not asleep, dead".
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume II, The Two Towers; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The Fellowship was scattered. Some were bracing hopelessly for war against the ancient evil of Sauron. Some were contending with the treachery of the wizard Saruman. Only Frodo and Sam were left to take the accursed Ring of Power to be destroyed in Mordor–the dark Kingdom where Sauron was supreme. Their guide was Gollum, deceitful and lust-filled, slave to the corruption of the Ring.

The second book of the famous fantasy trilogy.

4 1977

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,719,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible