The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Two Towers (original 1954; edition 1977)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

29,52017331 (4.38)377
Member:tiffin
Title:The Two Towers
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:The Folio Society
Tags:FOLIO, Modern Fantasy, Modern English Lit.

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

English (160)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (173)
Re-read of the book. I first read it in Spanish, several years ago, and now I read the original English version. ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
As this book picks up where ‘Fellowship of the Ring’ left off, we’re dropped immediately into the action, with Boromir dead, Merry and Pippin captured by the Orcs, and Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn determined to save them. ‘Off-screen’ for the first half are Frodo and Sam, who continue on with the Ring; their story is continued in the second half, which is a nice division to this middle book of the LOTR trilogy.

This book has the story really hitting its stride, and it was ultimately my favorite of the three. I loved the introduction of the Ents, the ancient tree-like creatures who are careful before acting, but then possess tremendous strength when they do. There is humor sprinkled in throughout, whether it be in the sharp words of Gandalf (who by the way is a bit of a pain if you ask me) or in the camaraderie that forms between those on the quest, but the moment I smiled the most was when Gimli meets Treebeard and while bowing, has his axe slip from his belt and clatter to the ground; I could just picture this little moment of embarrassment.

The character of Gollum is also fantastic, and this was one of my favorite passages:

“Down the face of the precipice, sheer and almost smooth it seemed in the pale moonlight, a small black shape was moving with its thin limbs splayed out. Maybe its soft clinging hands and toes were finding crevices and holds that no hobbit could ever have seen or used, but it looked as if it was just creeping down on sticky pads, like some large prowling thing of insect-kind. And it was coming down head first, as if it was smelling its way. Now and again it lifted its head slowly, turning it right back on its long skinny neck, and the hobbits caught a glimpse of two small pale gleaming lights, its eyes that blinked at the moon for a moment and then were quickly lidded again.”

Gollum is brought into an uneasy alliance with Frodo and Sam, leading them into battle against Shelob, which is memorable. With his epic way of telling this story, Tolkien continues a tradition that extends back to Beowulf (or The Iliad), and he had a huge influence on everything from Harry Potter to Game of Thrones. This middle book was on very firm footing at four stars, and I considered higher.

Quotes:
On coping with anger as the Ents do:
“’Good! Good!’ said Treebeard. ‘But I spoke hastily. We must not be hasty. I have become too hot. I must cool myself and think; for it easier to shout stop! than to do it.’
He strode to the archway and stood for some time under the falling rain of the spring. Then he laughed and shook himself, and wherever the drops of water fell glittering from him to the ground they glinted like red and green sparks. He came back and laid himself on the bed again and was silent.”

On fate, again from Treebeard the Ent:
“’We may help the other peoples before we pass away. Still, I should have liked to see the songs come true about the Entwives. I should dearly have liked to see Fimbrethil again. But there, my friends, songs like trees bear fruit only in their own time and their own way: and sometimes they are withered untimely.”

On war:
“It was Sam’s first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man’s name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace…” ( )
1 vote gbill | Jan 30, 2016 |
I think if anything I liked the movie better than the books. This is pretty rare. Perhaps not since the Godfather has the movie been better than the book. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Lots of good suspense in this one. The movie butchered it, though. As good as Peter Jackson is, he made a fatal blunder in killing off Saruman. That mistake ruins the end of the story. Tolkien weaves a wonderful, rich story. I don't know how many times I have read this, but this time through will probably not be my last. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
That 'The Lord of the Rings' should appeal to readers of the most austere tastes suggests that they too now long for the old, forthright, virile kind of narrative... the author has had intimate access to an epic tradition stretching back and back and disappearing in the mists of Germanic history, so that his story has a kind of echoing depth behind it...

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pennanen, EilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Aragorn sped on up the hill. Every now and then he bent to the ground. Hobbits go light, and their footprints are not easy even for a Ranger to read, but not far from the top a spring crossed the path, and in the wet earth he saw what he was seeking.
"Not asleep, dead".
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume II, The Two Towers; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The Fellowship was scattered. Some were bracing hopelessly for war against the ancient evil of Sauron. Some were contending with the treachery of the wizard Saruman. Only Frodo and Sam were left to take the accursed Ring of Power to be destroyed in Mordor–the dark Kingdom where Sauron was supreme. Their guide was Gollum, deceitful and lust-filled, slave to the corruption of the Ring.

The second book of the famous fantasy trilogy.

4 2023

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible