The Return of the King: Being the Third Part…

The Return of the King: Being the Third Part of The Lord of the Rings (1955)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Volume III)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (163)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (178)
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
is this the best book i've ever read? yes, yes it is. this series is too good for words, it was so much more than i expected and now i can't wait to re-read it. this last one did make me shed a few tears, as i knew it would but not because it's sad, it's just such a wonderful journey and it made me feel so many things at once it is absolutely incredible. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
The last installment of the Lord of the Rings, this book does not fail to do the series justice. Every possible end that could be tied up, gets tied up, and well. Ever scene is a piece of artwork, every attention to detail is paid. This is a wonderfully crafted novel, and well worth the read. Even if it is a little long-winded at times. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
For my Year of Nostalgic Rereads, this is a must. I don't recall the last time I read all the appendices, though. I ate those up as a kid in the 1970s, marveling at the incredible breadth and depth of his imagination. I still do 40 years later. I cringe slightly now, at his treatment of romance and how a king intuitively knows how to govern because of his blood, but I can overlook it because of my emotional attachment to the stories.

Now on to one I've not read since 1978 - The Silmarillion ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I don't know, I think I'd just lost interest by this point. It is such a fascinating and complex story, but I found the writing so dry that sometimes it was hard to force myself to continue. I kept picturing how much better the story would sound if it was written in a different way. Ah well. Can't love them all! ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

CAUTION: It appears that most copies of the title O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei in Portuguese translation are the complete Volume III of "The Lord of the Rings," published in English as The Return of the King. However, a Brazilian edition of the same title reportedly includes only the second part (of two) of Volume III, roughly corresponding to Book Six of the larger Work, The End of the Third Age; see O Senhor dos Anéis. Please be mindful of the difference, and only combine records for Works having the same content. Thank you.
While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

4 1914

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible