The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings,…

The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings, Part 3) (Vol 3) (original 1955; edition 2007)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

33,60519438 (4.46)431
Member:timoheuer
Title:The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings, Part 3) (Vol 3)
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Paperback, 624 Seiten
Tags:fantasy, lang:en, mythologie

The Return of The King by J. R. R. Tolkien (1955)

Oswald: Return of the King by Edoardo Albert (heidialice)
    heidialice: Oswald is a tribute to Tolkien and his scholarship, and while strictly historical (fiction) with no fantasy elements, is in my opinion a worthy companion read!
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (176)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (193)
The series ends with a huge battle between good and evil, drawing the whole shaky premise of the need to drop a ring into the fire inside the very heart of enemy territory to a close.

Does anyone else think they should have just dropped it into the ocean? Or the elves should have taken it across the sea where apparently no one but themselves can go? Or, if there's really no other way but to take it to Mount Doom, the eagles should have flown it there and dropped it? I mean, the eagles are obviously more powerful than the Nazgul (as evidenced in this final installment), but even if they are not, the Nazgul only get their dragon mounts late in the game. I am at a loss here ... ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
2 chapters in, I realized why I'd never finished this book as a teen. It's as meandering as Book 1, but you're not being slowly introduced to Middle Earth, you're being thrown into a world war with many players you just don't care about (the movies did a great job streamlining these random forces of Men). Teenage me's eyes glazed over. But older me (like Pippin & Merry) found my feet along the way, and the cathartic, hard-won victories that came were well worth the long journey it took to get there. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Finished last night; can I just hunker down and reread the trilogy again?

Review to come. ( )
  lamotamant | Nov 21, 2018 |
"I confess it moves me more than the Odyssey, or, for that matter, any epic I can thin of at the moment.l"
  SylviaPlathLibrary | Nov 14, 2018 |
This is the most amazing book series ever written. I am sad to be at end of this journey, and I wish I could go back to the start. Alas i cannot, but i am glad that all is well in Middle-Earth. I love you so much and goodbye. ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

CAUTION: It appears that most copies of the title O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei in Portuguese translation are the complete Volume III of "The Lord of the Rings," published in English as The Return of the King. However, a Brazilian edition of the same title reportedly includes only the second part (of two) of Volume III, roughly corresponding to Book Six of the larger Work, The End of the Third Age; see O Senhor dos Anéis. Please be mindful of the difference, and only combine records for Works having the same content. Thank you.
While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

4 2020

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,828,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible