Return of the King (Ace Unauthorized Edition…

Return of the King (Ace Unauthorized Edition A-6) (original 1955; edition 1964)

by J R R Tolkien

27,46715336 ()341
Member:mwirkk
Title:Return of the King (Ace Unauthorized Edition A-6)
Authors:J R R Tolkien
Info:Ace Books (1964), Edition: 1st Paperback, Mass Market Paperback, 444 pages

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1955)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (142)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (153)
One amazing end to a great fantansy ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
The third and final volume of The Lord of the Rings finishes Frodo and Sam's journey to Mount Doom while the rest of his companions deal with armies of Sauron in the fields of Gondor and in front of the Black Gate of Mordor. 'The Return of the King' is where J.R.R. Tolkien gives his story it's epic scope with both battles in arms and in the soul.

'The Return of the King' contains the fifth and sixth books that Tolkien divided The Lord of the Rings into. The fifth book begins with further divides the remaining Company into three, but eventually join together at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields before moving on to in front of the Black Gate. The sixth follows Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor to the heart of Mount Doom before they are reunited with the Company. Throughout Return, Tolkien continually foreshadows, yet surprises the reader with events and scenes that create an epic feel to his story. Although he the separate story arcs until uniting them in the middle of the sixth book, Tolkien references the other arc's timeline to allow the reader to know how each is relating to one another. Unfortunately Tolkien's decision to split one of the story arc's temporarily into three resulted in another flashback retelling of how Aragorn, Legalos, and Gimli arrived at the Pelennor Fields.

Although the material in Return was originally intended by J.R.R. Tolkien to be the conclusion of an entire one-volume story, a publisher decision to split the tale into three volumes created unfortunate problems for this book. The latter part of book six taking part in the Shire would have felt like a natural conclusion to the one-volume story Tolkien intended, however the change in scenery and feeling of completeness after Aragorn's crowning is undone do the decision to split. Another unfortunate decision was the title of the third volume, The Return of the King, which essentially gave away everything and gave an anticlimactic feeling to everything. If Tolkien's preferred title, The War of the Ring, had been used even the events in the Shire would have felt like a completion of the whole affair given Saruman's involvement.

'The Return of the King' feels incomplete as and individual book with a title that sabotages the story and a giving off the feeling of too many endings instead of the powerful conclusion of one-continuous story like it should have been. In Return, the characters introduced the ultimate clash of good and evil ends with surprising results given Tolkien's unique way of writing the conclusion of the Ring's journey while giving hope to the future. Characters introduced and written about that have survived are given their own exits to give off a sense of completeness. Upon finishing The Return of the King, readers will feel a sadness to the ending Tolkien's epic while longing to know what the story would read in one-volume. ( )
  mattries37315 | Feb 14, 2015 |
This modern fantasy is the concluding book in an epic series of three titled "The Lord of the Rings." This book follows the broken fellowship around Middle Earth and recalls the epic battles between all free peoples and that of all evil in the world - orcs, Southern men, ring-wraiths, and worst of all, Sauron himself. This is the final story of the great war, the destruction of the one ring, and the dawn of the Age of Men. ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Jan 27, 2015 |
'So we come to it in the end,' he said: 'the great battle of our time, in which many things shall pass away. But at least there is no longer need for hiding. We will ride the straight way and the open road with all our speed.'

I loved the previous volumes of LoTR and had been dying to read this one and find out what happened to all the characters I had grown to love (I basically knew what was going to happen as I had seen the movie but the book is pretty different in parts). This one felt way shorter than the other two and the action seemed to cut off abruptly at times and that is why I gave this 4.5 stars instead of 5.

I was hooked on this book no matter whose point-of-view the book switched to. I really loved that you got to see exactly what all the characters were up to and how all their paths eventually crossed. I really loved the parts that featured Pippin or Merry as they really became my favorite characters of this book. I was a bit surprised at all that happened in The Shire towards the end as those parts were cut out of the movie but I really enjoyed them nonetheless.

I tried to read the appendices but only got through a little bit. I kind of wish that the story itself had been longer and that the appendices had been published separately. One day I expect to read through them but I just don't have the time now. I am really glad that I have finally read The Lord of the Rings but I also wish I could somehow go back and read them for the first time again. ( )
  dpappas | Jan 24, 2015 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,693,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible