Der Herr der Ringe. Ausgabe in neuer…

Der Herr der Ringe. Ausgabe in neuer Übersetzung und Rechtschreibung: Der… (original 1954; edition 2003)

by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (Author), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)

34,01019438 (4.46)434
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Der Herr der Ringe. Ausgabe in neuer Übersetzung und Rechtschreibung: Der Herr der Ringe, Bd. 3: Die Wiederkehr des Königs.
Authors:John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
Other authors:John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (Author), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)
Info:Klett-Cotta (2003), Edition: 15., Aufl., Taschenbuch, 705 pages

The Return of The King by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

Oswald: Return of the King by Edoardo Albert (heidialice)
    heidialice: Oswald is a tribute to Tolkien and his scholarship, and while strictly historical (fiction) with no fantasy elements, is in my opinion a worthy companion read!
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (177)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (194)
I really, really dislike the feeling of: “Oh thank goodness, this is over” when I’m reading a book, but I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that was the way I felt after completing this trilogy. For a series so renowned and beloved, The Lord of the Rings is incredibly boring… and honestly? The Return of the King is the worst culprit of them all.

Why?

The Return of the King has the greatest potential for excitement, but the least delivery of the trilogy. There are so many cool things that are happening here, but the parts I found I was personally really enjoying were not the parts that went into detail. For example, there’s a bit where the Rohirrim charge against the forces of Mordor. This has epic battle potential, right? Add to this the fact that this scene has Éowyn’s BIG MOMENT. Fans of both the books and films should know what I’m talking about here. This battle comes to us from Merry’s POV, and the depth of the fighting and that glimmering moment of Éowyn’s defiance and courage and complete badassery are drowned out as Merry and a small platoon of soldiers go to weep over Théoden. There’s death speeches and mourning and meanwhile somewhere behind it all there’s another important body, and there’s a WHOLE BATTLE GOING ON and we don’t get to see it. Because we’re singing funeral dirges and talking about the succession of the kingdom

I found this so frustrating.

Some characters certainly had their moments – Sam, in particular, was given the opportunity to shine and I really appreciated his role in this journey. Other interesting characters, such as Legolas and Gimli, seemed to fall to the background here. A great deal of time and attention is devoted to the hobbits and to Aragorn. Which is all well and good. Aragorn’s storyline in particular has importance here. But I found myself so frustrated with the conversations and talking about their plan instead of actually tuly being immersed in the fulfillment of them. It was difficult to appreciate the characters here when their version of the story were boring me.

*sigh*

So, to give a little technical background: this audiobook recording of The Return of the King is about 18 hours long. This is more or less on par with the rest of the series. For those familiar with the film adaptations, that ending occurs at about halfway into the book. It left me scratching my head as to what could possibly fill up the next eight hours.

As it turns out, the second half of the book is all about closure for the fellowship. The various members go their separate ways, and we follow the hobbits back to the Shire. This wind down lasts about four hours. The last four hours are the appendices.

I didn’t wait and listen to the appendices, guys. I’m sorry, I’m just not that interested in the minutia. I feel like I got plenty of closure and heard more than enough about the various races and languages and histories in the course of the trilogy.

The ideas and everything behind the Lord of the Rings trilogy and especially this last installment are SO COOL. But the way it’s written… it feels like there’s a movie going on behind you, and you can hear it through a muffled screen, but you’re staring at a blank wall. It tried my patience, and in wanting so badly to be in the moment of the action, I was unable to appreciate the cultural nuances Tolkien was trying to impart about Middle Earth.

FORTUNATELY.

I understand that this is largely a me-problem. Tolkien’s writing (not just his stories) has a huge fan base all over the world and his works have captured the hearts and imaginations of multiple generations. I remember really enjoying these the first time I read them in middle school, so perhaps time and experience have jaded me.

EITHER WAY.

I really recommend to every fan of this genre to give the books a go. They will enrich your experience of Middle Earth and they are fantasy classics and deserve appreciation. ( )
1 vote Morteana | May 16, 2019 |
En väldigt trevlig serie, jag tror att den kommer att bli omläst i framtiden. Tolkien har skapat en häftig värld och jag känner igen saker som andra har tagit efter.

Varje sida innehåller väldigt mycket information vilket gör att den tar ganska lång tid att läsa den när man processerar innehållet. Både för- och nackdelar med detta. Den räcker längre, och man kan njuta av den längre. Är man van vid att det går fort att läsa saker kan det kännas som att det går ganska långsamt och kanske sticker in en del andra böcker emellan i läsningen.

Rekommenderas! ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
The series ends with a huge battle between good and evil, drawing the whole shaky premise of the need to drop a ring into the fire inside the very heart of enemy territory to a close.

Does anyone else think they should have just dropped it into the ocean? Or the elves should have taken it across the sea where apparently no one but themselves can go? Or, if there's really no other way but to take it to Mount Doom, the eagles should have flown it there and dropped it? I mean, the eagles are obviously more powerful than the Nazgul (as evidenced in this final installment), but even if they are not, the Nazgul only get their dragon mounts late in the game. I am at a loss here ... ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
2 chapters in, I realized why I'd never finished this book as a teen. It's as meandering as Book 1, but you're not being slowly introduced to Middle Earth, you're being thrown into a world war with many players you just don't care about (the movies did a great job streamlining these random forces of Men). Teenage me's eyes glazed over. But older me (like Pippin & Merry) found my feet along the way, and the cathartic, hard-won victories that came were well worth the long journey it took to get there. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Finished last night; can I just hunker down and reread the trilogy again?

Review to come. ( )
  lamotamant | Nov 21, 2018 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

CAUTION: It appears that most copies of the title O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei in Portuguese translation are the complete Volume III of "The Lord of the Rings," published in English as The Return of the King. However, a Brazilian edition of the same title reportedly includes only the second part (of two) of Volume III, roughly corresponding to Book Six of the larger Work, The End of the Third Age; see O Senhor dos Anéis. Please be mindful of the difference, and only combine records for Works having the same content. Thank you.
While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

4 2043

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible