The Return of the King (The Lord of The…

The Return of the King (The Lord of The Rings, Part 3) (original 1955; edition 1999)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Member:selfnoise
Title:The Return of the King (The Lord of The Rings, Part 3)
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (1999), Paperback
Tags:fantasy, middle earth

The Return of the King: Being the Third Part of The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (1955)

Oswald: Return of the King by Edoardo Albert (heidialice)
    heidialice: Oswald is a tribute to Tolkien and his scholarship, and while strictly historical (fiction) with no fantasy elements, is in my opinion a worthy companion read!
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (163)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (178)
Gandalf and Aragorn lead the World of Men against Sauron's army to draw his gaze from Frodo and Sam as they approach Mount Doom with the One Ring. (IMDb) ( )
  DrLed | Nov 5, 2017 |
I don't know, I think I'd just lost interest by this point. It is such a fascinating and complex story, but I found the writing so dry that sometimes it was hard to force myself to continue. I kept picturing how much better the story would sound if it was written in a different way. Ah well. Can't love them all! ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
I read the Lord of the Rings series as a buddy read on Litsy. I had these books on my shelves for a while not, but honestly wasn't sure I'd ever pick them up. I have seen the movies and enjoyed them, and sci-fi is not my typical reading genre. I can't believe how much I enjoyed this series. It added so much depth and dimension to the story and characters that you don't get from the movies. I actually didn't like Sam, Merry or Pippin in the movies, but the books made me love them so much! I liked that they were actually the main focus of the books, where I did not feel that was always the case in the movies. So much happens in these books and it has such a different tone at times than the movies.

LOVED! ( )
  MinDea | Oct 4, 2017 |
This conclusion of the series is chock-full of adventure and thrills. But if your only knowledge of the tale comes from the movies, you will be surprised that much happens after the Hobbits return to their homeland. Tolkien’s writing needs no accolades; it speaks for itself. But the wonderful performance of this narrator only adds to the great writing. ( )
  Maydacat | Oct 2, 2017 |
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

CAUTION: It appears that most copies of the title O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei in Portuguese translation are the complete Volume III of "The Lord of the Rings," published in English as The Return of the King. However, a Brazilian edition of the same title reportedly includes only the second part (of two) of Volume III, roughly corresponding to Book Six of the larger Work, The End of the Third Age; see O Senhor dos Anéis. Please be mindful of the difference, and only combine records for Works having the same content. Thank you.
While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

4 1933

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible