The return of the king by J. R. R. Tolkien

The return of the king (original 1955; edition 1977)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Member:Ripki
Title:The return of the king
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien
Info:London : Allen & Unwin, 1977.
Tags:fantasy, fantasia, Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings, jatko-osa, sequel, sota, matka

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1955)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (138)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (149)
I think the story will get 3 stars because it felt like it dragged a lot at points, and the whole Hobbit fighting seemed strange and random. 4 stars the whole book gets due to its extensive Appendices.

Differences between movie and story I thought were for the better: No Beregond storyline, No Houses of Healing, No wild men talking/giving advice to Theoden, No Shire scouring. There were many little differences and I think this is the rare occassion I prefer the extended 4hr 10min version of the movie more than the book, but oh well. At times i really liked how the story unfolded, at others when i was wanting for good description of the battles or anything, it was just not there. A lot of the "this happened, then this then this then this. And they went about it." I dont read books to fill in THAT much with my imagination, good thing for the movie because otherwise I would have been lost on where and what was happening...

In reference to the Appendices: all very well done. They read like a complete history...and at times are as dry as such. But should I ever have a question about the lineage of Aragorn, or how to pronounce mathom (it is like fathom, btw) I know where to look. I did find the timelines of events to be most helpful in firming up what i remember as i did read these books across 11 months. All in all, the appendix does increase the star count by 1, but I would have to say the 3rd book is the least favorite part of the story for me...too much talking and history, not enough detailed fighting. I mean two successive battles that effectually ended the 3rd age, yet we spend more time talking about how tired and hungry Sam and Frodo are? c'mon... ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
Review of Illustrations to follow ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
A wonderful ending to an amazing trilogy.

Read my full review here.

Sometimes I find that the final book in a series can be sort of disappointing. That is not the case for this book. Tolkien has managed, once again, to create such an intricate story. There was a lot of foreshadowing though, again, some of the foreshadowing of happy or sad events became a little bit obvious. The descriptions and personification was, as usual, very lovely.

The characters are, unsurprisingly, my favourite aspect of this book. The character arc of each of them is so amazing to read. Each has grown and become more than they ever expected (more than others expected, too). Sam is really my favourite character. Of course, I really like Merry, Pippin, and Frodo. But Sam had to make so many choices and even when he would wrestle with his doubts, he still did what he thought was right. He never gave up, even when Frodo gave in to the power of the Ring and its ever-pressing darkness. Also, Sam is so witty! He often uses his intelligence to mock or refute his enemies. It might not have been intended as humorous, but that’s how I saw it (especially when Sam mocks Gollum). Another character which I enjoyed reading is Eowyn. I wish she had gotten more space on the page though Tolkien spent more time with her here than in the previous books. Eowyn shows herself to be equal to men - actually, better than them since she is the only one brave enough to stand up to the leader of the Nazgul. I wish that she was recognized by more characters as a wonderful, strong character. She wishes to be more than the label that society would choose for her. I could go on and on about this so I’ll just stop here.

Some minor issues with the novel are, again, very repetitive adjectives. Sometimes they would even be repeated on the same page only a paragraph or two apart. I found this to be quite off-putting. Also, in the last chapter or so, Tolkien begins to frequently use dates. I’m not quite sure why he does this since he hasn’t done this in the previous books.

Overall, this book was a good ending to a well-written and enjoyable series. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
Excellent book. Some of the ending segments are a bit over the top ( )
  CSheetz | Apr 30, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.
Refers to entire series:

J.R.R. Tolkien was the master of fantasy, and that's not just because he was the first to write a very popular modern epic.

What makes Tolkien superior was how he used his extensive knowledge of mythology and linguistics to create his own complex world. He was a professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, a fellow of Pembroke College, and a fellow of Merton College where he studied and taught the linguistics of early English. Over many years he created his own elvish language with a complex syntax and grammar, and a complete history and mythology of Middle Earth (see the twelve volumes of The Histories of Middle-Earth below.) This gives his works so much complexity and texture that when you read them, you feel like you've dropped into the middle of a real civilization.

Besides the amazing world-building, Tolkien builds excellent characters and uses them to explore such heavy human themes as friendship, love, greed, power, redemption, gender-roles, self-sacrifice, and death. This is not a light epic for a Sunday afternoon. This is intense, bone-chilling, goose-bump raising stuff. You can feel the weight of the world on the shoulders of Frodo and his companions. And, though there's a happy ending, it comes with much suffering and loss.

And all the while, Tolkien's writing is beautiful and poignant. In my opinion, the only writers I've read who even begin to compare are Ursula LeGuin, Susanna Clarke, and perhaps Lois McMaster Bujold.

Read more Tolkien book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,978,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible