O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei by…

O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei (original 1955; edition 2000)

by J.R.R. Tolkien, Lenita Maria Rímoli Esteves (Translator)

Member:RafaelBara
Title:O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Other authors:Lenita Maria Rímoli Esteves (Translator)
Info:São Paulo: Martins Fontes, 2000. 441 p.
Rating:*****
Tags:The Lord of the Rings, fantasy, fiction, novel

The return of the king by J. R. R. Tolkien (1955)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (148)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (160)
O que dose da trilogia que define a fantasia. Provavelmente a referência de leitura para gerações incontáveis de leitores em todo o mundo. Imperdível ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Review of The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkien. I’ve finished my reread of The Lord of the Rings! Yes, we has! (in Gollum-speak) The highlight has to be Frodo and Sam climbing Mt. Doom, and then the apocalyptic explosion when the deed is done. (If you haven’t read it or seen the movie, I won’t tell you what that deed is.) Their trek through the sere wilderness around the mountain fills one with thirst and dread. While this third part of the trilogy is deadly serious--as it needs to be--Tolkien still manages to provide comic relief in the form of Orcs. As it turns out, Orcs sound like country yokels when one gets to hear them speak. Their minds are not turned toward the higher things (just saying). In fact, they have a propensity to self-destruct, rather like Looney Tunes characters.

The third part also gives a portrait of one of the few female characters, Eowyn, the shield-maiden who goes to war in the garb of a man, like Brunhilde or the Old Norse valkyries of legend. But Tolkien makes clear that she is out of her element in this male world. In the words of Aragorn, the hero-king, when she is injured in battle, “Alas! For she was pitted against a foe beyond the strength of her mind or body” (848). She is also shown to be out of her depth in her feelings of unrequited love--an emotion that Tolkien portrays almost as a disease, or mental illness. Whatever her flaws, she is the most fully characterized woman in the novel. Aragorn’s true love mainly shows up for the wedding; even the Ent-wives are nowhere to be seen!

Trees and forests, much more than women, play an important role in The Lord of the Rings--and this is no less true in The Return of the King. The area around Mt. Doom is shown to be absent of trees or other growing things, except thorny brambles. The most stunning evidence of destructive industrialization when the Hobbits return home is the loss of the trees; in their place is a great chimney and “a great brick building straddling the stream, which it fouled with a streaming and stinking outflow” (993). Even the “party tree” which launched the novel and the quest is gone. In this, Tolkien’s thinking was prescient, as our precious world drifts ever closer to human-wrought destruction. At the end of the novel, he holds out hope, due to the wonderful elven dust that fertilizes and re-greens the Shire. And, to replace the “party tree,” a miraculous mallorn tree with silver bark and golden flowers from the forests of Lothlorien. Throughout this marvelous work, Tolkien balances destruction with rebirth, despair with hope, and high seriousness with humor. A marvelous work, which is also a work of marvels. ( )
  Lori_Eshleman | Jul 25, 2015 |
Of all three of Tokien's Lord of the Rings, this one is by far my favourite. The Return of the King tied up so many loose ends and I was completely satisfied on that part.

However, I still can't stand that Frodo didn't get his justification in the Shire. And that he never got his happiness. With Sam moving on and starting a family, it made Frodo's situation seem worse. He never got to fall in love or have a family. Merry and Pippin were rightly finished, and I like their ending.

All in all, it was very satisfying. I do want to know where that ship anchors at though... ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
[The Return of the King] is my least favorite of the books; it is easily the least focused. Be careful, that is a matter of the books as compared to each other. Tolkien exists outside literatures typical realms. But the last book in the series actually highlights some weaknesses that could be overlooked in the earlier books because the surrounding material was so superior. Here, at the end of the matter, Tolkien exposes himself a bit.

First –
[The Return of the King] – who needs a king? I mean, come on, these are the same countries of men who have repeatedly exposed their weakness to evil and greed. Now, a man appears with an historically important sword and some claims about his lineage, and everyone melts. And I’m not sure that Middle Earth is going to be safe and free of trouble under the reign of men – at least, not these men. Don’t get your mithril shirt in a bunch, Strider is an impressive man, one who I’d follow. Only Faramir rivals him in terms of judgment, leadership, and skill. But Strider is the more impressive iteration of Aragorn’s personalities. The élan and mystery is lost when he begins to prance about. And Faramir, while the more sensitive and understanding, lets that quality devolve into weakness too often. I’d just as soon see Gandalf or Galadriel unite the world and lead. For that matter, Samwise, who becomes the Shire potentate, would be a fine unified leader. I just don’t trust that the time of men has come in Middle Earth – and Tolkien has exposed himself here with his over emphasis on the men and the king story. Remember, it was the Fellowship that saved the world, and the man in the group was the one who first put the Fellowship in danger. I would have been okay with less men and more elves or wizards or dwarves.

Second –
Where are the ladies? When Eowyn finally quits listening to all of the men in her life, all trying to protect her from being who she is, well, she kicks some Ring Wraith patootie. And Eowyn is really the only strong female character who has any real place in the story, save Galadriel. You have to look into the appendices before you find much about Arwen, save a couple of conversations and some vague references in [The Fellowship]. Why wasn’t there a female in the Fellowship? Tolkien overlooked the ladies in all of the books, but exposes himself by writing such a wonderful passage with Eowyn in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, making it clear that there should have been more strong women along the way.

Finally –
For all of Tolkien’s gearing his characters up for battle, there is a pretty significant lack of battles in the books. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the Battle of Helms Deep are really the only ones. There are others that he skims through, and a bunch that he recounts through a character’s eyes after the fact. Couple that with the number of times that someone blows their horn or mounts a horse or grabs a shield and sword, and you start to feel a little cheated. Tolkien spends far too much time preparing for battle and not enough time in it – a little balance is needed. The same phenomenon appears when Tolkien begins peeling everyone off and having the characters saying goodbye. They say goodbye over dinner, then over breakfast, then on their horses, and then someone comes back and does it again.

[The Lord of the Rings] consumes you, sucks you in and won’t let you go, and that’s a good thing. The few criticisms I’ve offered are in the way of wanting more, wanting the experience to be perfect. But there are a rare few set of tales that can so capture your imagination; Tolkien was a master, if a little obsessive.

Bottom Line: Perhaps it is a melancholy for the way things began in Middle Earth, but, even with a new king, that world is a lesser place without Gandalf and the Elves and Frodo – maybe that’s why it’s hard to like this final chapter as much as the beginning.

4 bones!!!!! ( )
1 vote blackdogbooks | Apr 19, 2015 |
**If you haven’t read the book, just skip this review. I tried to avoid spoilers, but there is just too much to talk about.**

The final book in the trilogy holds many battles. Some are with hordes of orcs and others are battles of the will. One thing I’ve always loved about this series is that you can have the most incredible showdown on the battlefield, but those scenes are no more powerful than Sam picking up Frodo and doing all he can to carry him to Mount Doom.

In The Return of the King we get to see the brilliant triumph at Minas Tirith and then the loss of hope at the Black Gate when the Mouth of Sauron shows Gandalf Frodo's belongings. We see Sam and Frodo lose their strength and we finally understand the role that Gollum and had to play in the whole saga.

I love that this final installment reaches what you think is the climax of the story less than halfway through the book. Then the rest of the novel is about the reuniting of characters and a glorious return to all of their lands. I think that's indicative of the true focus of the story being more on the characters and less on the war. Once their goal is achieved and the war is over, their stories still continue.

Rereading the trilogy reminded me why I fell in love with it in the first place. Although I love the movies, the books have so much more depth and heart. I think the Battle of Bywater is a perfect example. Because of the sheer length of the final movie, it was completely left out, but it's in that scene that we see just how much our little hobbits have matured. Merry and Pippin are now brilliant warriors and Sam's become a leader willing to stand up against any foe. Frodo has found that above all he values peace and knows that mercy is much more valuable than revenge. His journey changed him in a different way than the other hobbits.

The scenes in the Shire made me think about World War II. The few that stood up to Hitler were immediately punished. Ruling that way instilled a fear in everyone else which made them easier to govern. The same happened in the Shire and so the hobbits stopped resisting their cruel leaders. I was glad that Gandalf didn't fight the battle with the hobbits. He left them to return to the Shire on their own because he knew they were ready to defend it themselves.

"He is a moss-gather, and I have been a stone doomed to rolling. But my rolling days are ending, and now we shall have much to say to one another." – Gandalf on leaving the hobbits to visit Bombadil.

There are a few interactions between Sam and Rosie at the end of the book that I just love. When they meet back up in the Shire they were adorable with each other. After everything that Sam had been through I couldn’t help smile when he gets the girl in the end.

BOTTOM LINE: I have a feeling I'll never tire of returning to Middle Earth and I'll certainly never let 13 years go by between rereadings again! I'll always have more to learn from these rich characters. Tolkien tells so many beautiful stories within this trilogy and I got even more out of it the second time around.

"'I do not fear either pain or death. What do you fear, lady?' he asked.
'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use an old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'"

“In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm.”

“Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars for ever dwell: I will not save the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.”

“And the journey's finished. But after coming all that way I don't want to give up yet. It's not like me, somehow, if you understand.” – Sam

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf

A few tidbits where the book differs from the film:
- The beacons of Gondor were already lit before Gandalf and Pippin got to Minas Tirith.
- Only 13 days pass between Boromir's death and the beginning of the fifth book when we meet Denethor.
- Beregond is part of the city guard and he shows Pippin around the city. In the end he’s the one who saves Faramir by blocking the door from the guards when they're trying to burn the pyre.
- Aragorn is the one who heals Faramir, Eowyn, and Merry. He has the gift of healing and he’s the one who saves their lives.
- Eowyn takes a different name when she pretends to be a man in the Rohirrim.
- Sam is tempted by the ring and wants to go off on his own for a moment when he sees himself in a place of power. Even Sam couldn't resist the temptation for a second.

Appendix Notes:
I've always loved the appendices as well for the light they shine on the history of the characters, especially Arwen and Aragorn. Here’s a few other bits of info that they include…

- Galadriel is Arwen's grandmother. Whoa!
- Elrond's father was a man and Elrond's chose to be of Elven-kind.
- Gollum had the Ring for more than 450 years when Bilbo found it.
- Sam's daughter, Goldilocks, married Pippin's son Faramir!
- Arwen was more than 2,700 years old when she and Aragorn first met. Talk about a cougar!
- Sam went to the Grey Havens at the end of his life and passed over the sea after his wife Rose died.
- Leogalas built a ship and sailed over the sea with Gimli after Aragorn died. ( )
  bookworm12 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,068,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible