O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei by…

O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei (original 1955; edition 2000)

by J.R.R. Tolkien, Lenita Maria Rímoli Esteves (Translator)

Member:RafaelBara
Title:O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Other authors:Lenita Maria Rímoli Esteves (Translator)
Info:São Paulo: Martins Fontes, 2000. 441 p.
Rating:*****
Tags:The Lord of the Rings, fantasy, fiction, novel

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1955)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (136)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (147)
Compared to the other two volumes, this is quite short. This is probably because you get the appendices. I was fine with this because they add so much to Return of the King, the entirety of The Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit.

As far as the actual Return of the King story, it moves right along, and covers much of what people are familiar with in the movie fairly quickly. Something that I found important in this book, is what happens after all the big battles and the end of Frodo and Sam's Journey. We learn that there are consequences to the war, that it has affected everyone, and things will never be the same. Middle Earth has become a very different place. The characters that haven't passed on have changed as well.

If we look at this fictional universe as our pre-history, this books marks the point in which Men have been given dominion over the world. They no longer have the guidance of the Elves or the Istari. It is a very interesting concept to think about especially when you consider that we are the descendants of these Men, or at least, it can be assumed, people of European descent are. In moving from a fictional pre-history to the real world, how many kingdoms and civilizations have risen and fallen, and how much of this history has been lost with time?

The appendices, which comprise about a quarter of this book are a must read. It took me about the same amount of time to read the appendices as it did the rest of the book. It is a difficult read, but well worth it. It brings clarity and reason to so many of the character's motivations, decisions, and back story. You begin to understand the significance of Middle Earth, Gondor, Anor, and how the Elves, Men, Dwarves, and Orcs came to inhabit it. In some cases the appendices will blow your mind. For instance, While Elrond is Arwen's father and Aragorn's father-in-law, he is also Aragorn's ancestor. Elrond's brother was the first king of Numenor and chose to be mortal. If only you understood everything from the appendices before you read The Lord of the Rings. I guess that is what the second reading is for.

Porfinicle | Nov 4, 2014 |
A wonderful ending to an amazing trilogy.

Read my full review here.

Sometimes I find that the final book in a series can be sort of disappointing. That is not the case for this book. Tolkien has managed, once again, to create such an intricate story. There was a lot of foreshadowing though, again, some of the foreshadowing of happy or sad events became a little bit obvious. The descriptions and personification was, as usual, very lovely.

The characters are, unsurprisingly, my favourite aspect of this book. The character arc of each of them is so amazing to read. Each has grown and become more than they ever expected (more than others expected, too). Sam is really my favourite character. Of course, I really like Merry, Pippin, and Frodo. But Sam had to make so many choices and even when he would wrestle with his doubts, he still did what he thought was right. He never gave up, even when Frodo gave in to the power of the Ring and its ever-pressing darkness. Also, Sam is so witty! He often uses his intelligence to mock or refute his enemies. It might not have been intended as humorous, but that’s how I saw it (especially when Sam mocks Gollum). Another character which I enjoyed reading is Eowyn. I wish she had gotten more space on the page though Tolkien spent more time with her here than in the previous books. Eowyn shows herself to be equal to men - actually, better than them since she is the only one brave enough to stand up to the leader of the Nazgul. I wish that she was recognized by more characters as a wonderful, strong character. She wishes to be more than the label that society would choose for her. I could go on and on about this so I’ll just stop here.

Some minor issues with the novel are, again, very repetitive adjectives. Sometimes they would even be repeated on the same page only a paragraph or two apart. I found this to be quite off-putting. Also, in the last chapter or so, Tolkien begins to frequently use dates. I’m not quite sure why he does this since he hasn’t done this in the previous books.

Overall, this book was a good ending to a well-written and enjoyable series. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
Excellent book. Some of the ending segments are a bit over the top ( )
  CSheetz | Apr 30, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.
Refers to entire series:

J.R.R. Tolkien was the master of fantasy, and that's not just because he was the first to write a very popular modern epic.

What makes Tolkien superior was how he used his extensive knowledge of mythology and linguistics to create his own complex world. He was a professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, a fellow of Pembroke College, and a fellow of Merton College where he studied and taught the linguistics of early English. Over many years he created his own elvish language with a complex syntax and grammar, and a complete history and mythology of Middle Earth (see the twelve volumes of The Histories of Middle-Earth below.) This gives his works so much complexity and texture that when you read them, you feel like you've dropped into the middle of a real civilization.

Besides the amazing world-building, Tolkien builds excellent characters and uses them to explore such heavy human themes as friendship, love, greed, power, redemption, gender-roles, self-sacrifice, and death. This is not a light epic for a Sunday afternoon. This is intense, bone-chilling, goose-bump raising stuff. You can feel the weight of the world on the shoulders of Frodo and his companions. And, though there's a happy ending, it comes with much suffering and loss.

And all the while, Tolkien's writing is beautiful and poignant. In my opinion, the only writers I've read who even begin to compare are Ursula LeGuin, Susanna Clarke, and perhaps Lois McMaster Bujold.

Read more Tolkien book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
If you shall read but one series, let it be The Lord of the Rings. ( )
  evolvingthread | Feb 15, 2014 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345339738, Mass Market Paperback)

The prequel to The Lord of the Rings—The Hobbit—is now a major motion picture directed by Peter Jackson

THE GREATEST FANTASY EPIC OF OUR TIME

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarms out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggle deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the One Ring, ruler of all the accursed Rings of Power, must be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way is impossibly hard, and Frodo is weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he begins finally to despair.

The awesome conclusion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, beloved by millions of readers around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron's power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, but the way was impossibly hard and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring, he began finally to despair.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible