Unfinished Tales of Númenor and…

Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth (1980)

by J. R. R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (Editor)

Recently added byprivate library, blanker, bananatarakota, oscarpi, Aneris, palaephata, Neyasha
Legacy LibrariesIris Murdoch, Sterling E. Lanier

English (25)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (29)
Read it without really understanding how these individual tales really fit into the larger corpus. Now that I have read and re-read Tolkien's works, I appreciate these deeper tales that flesh out these mythological characters. I especially now like the back stories of the Third Age; in my earlier years, I wanted Lord of the Rings to remain LOTR with its lovely words and actions and no interference" from earlier notes.

I remember the first time I read it, on Christmas morning, hearing my inner voice speaking in the words of this book. Very powerful hold, it was.

I'm so very, very glad it was published, and I appreciate the work that Christopher Tolkien has given his life and privacy to ensure happens." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
enjoyable, in the way of Tolkien's works. the downfall to Unfinished Tales is that the stories are, well.... unfinished. :) ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
I loved it! So much good information to go with everything else. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
By its very nature, this is an unsatisfactory and even frustrating book, being a highly fragmented series of incomplete texts, really of interest only to those willing to wade through a lot of academic contextualisation to understand the nature of the pieces and the editorial process by which they were selected. Once past that, though, it's gold. The further one goes the more one appreciates the unique genius of Tolkien, the driven obsessive who recounts the stories he invents as though they were myth or history external to himself, discovered largely through the examination of language and linguistic properties, revealing peoples, landscapes, histories. There are terrific things in here, enriching the mythos, providing glimpses into the larger stories and of the limits of those stories and the potentially unlimited stories beyond. The least chapter is the horribly messy tale of Galadirel and Celeborn, the most complete is the Children of Hurin, but completists will be already well familiar with this. More obscure, and surprising, are the stories of Numenor - where was that one going, I wonder? And the history of the Druedain. The Quest of Erebor, the various battles and the friendship between Rohan and Gondor are crowd-pleasers. Lot of comments and footnotes that can be studied or skimmed depending on your bent. Not a good read, but a supplemental volume full of little good reads. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Tolkien, but some parts are a bit unpolished. ( )
  TheGoldyns | Sep 15, 2015 |

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, ChristopherEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Adlerberth, RolandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saba Sardi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rían, wife of Huor, dwelt with the people of the House of Hador; but when rumour came to Dor-lómin of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and yet she could hear no news of her lord, she became distraught and wandered forth into the wild alone.
The problems that confront one given responsibility for the writings of a dead author are hard to resolve. (Introduction)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345357116, Mass Market Paperback)

An extraordinary discovery is waiting for you on these pages. Mythic lore and forgotten legends unearthed by Christopher Tolkien from his father's archives unveil never-before-told stories of the three ages of ancient Middle-earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:35 -0400)

A collection of Tolkien's unpublished manuscripts dealing with events from the Elder Days of Middle-earth to the end of the War of the Rings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,900,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible