Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth…

Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth (original 1980; edition 2001)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

7,20832751 (3.78)53
Member:katriddell
Title:Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Mariner Books (2001), Paperback, 480 pages

Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1980)

English (28)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (32)
I have so enjoyed finishing these Unfinished Tales with my chapter a day group. Tolkien was a great, and immensely nuanced storyteller, his son Christopher a devoted son and detailed story archiver, whose life work allowed us to see the depth of creativity and true craft his father put into all his tales. I’ve truly enjoyed the surface tale, as well as the the deeper tale behind its creation and evolution. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
i apparently first purchased my copy of this in 1991.
and i read it in 2014.
so i'm reading it for at least the third time.
part of the reason is because i need to stop spending so much money on new books.

pretty cool if you're into tolkien lore. ( )
  oelenzil | Jan 25, 2018 |
the first half i did not care for at all, but the rest was quite informative. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Read it without really understanding how these individual tales really fit into the larger corpus. Now that I have read and re-read Tolkien's works, I appreciate these deeper tales that flesh out these mythological characters. I especially now like the back stories of the Third Age; in my earlier years, I wanted Lord of the Rings to remain LOTR with its lovely words and actions and no interference" from earlier notes.

I remember the first time I read it, on Christmas morning, hearing my inner voice speaking in the words of this book. Very powerful hold, it was.

I'm so very, very glad it was published, and I appreciate the work that Christopher Tolkien has given his life and privacy to ensure happens." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
enjoyable, in the way of Tolkien's works. the downfall to Unfinished Tales is that the stories are, well.... unfinished. :) ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, ChristopherEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Adlerberth, RolandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saba Sardi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rían, wife of Huor, dwelt with the people of the House of Hador; but when rumour came to Dor-lómin of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and yet she could hear no news of her lord, she became distraught and wandered forth into the wild alone.
The problems that confront one given responsibility for the writings of a dead author are hard to resolve. (Introduction)
Do not combine this work with The Hobbit, this is a Japanese edition of the Unfinished Tales

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345357116, Mass Market Paperback)

An extraordinary discovery is waiting for you on these pages. Mythic lore and forgotten legends unearthed by Christopher Tolkien from his father's archives unveil never-before-told stories of the three ages of ancient Middle-earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:35 -0400)

A collection of Tolkien's unpublished manuscripts dealing with events from the Elder Days of Middle-earth to the end of the War of the Rings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible