Personal Injuries by Scott Turow

Personal Injuries (edition 2000)

by Scott Turow

939None9,341 (3.39)10
Member:krizia_lazaro
Title:Personal Injuries
Authors:Scott Turow
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

Personal Injuries by Scott Turow

Recently added bynrmay, private library, Spalding, xantheselkie, Dureo, briolini1113, Johns_wifes_lover
American (3) audiobook (5) basement (4) courtroom (5) crime (5) FBI (5) fiction (135) Fiction T (4) first edition (4) hardcover (9) hb (4) Kindle County (5) law (5) lawyers (5) legal (25) legal fiction (13) legal thriller (27) literature (3) mystery (58) novel (15) own (4) paperback (4) read (13) Scott Turow (4) signed (5) suspense (14) thriller (30) to-read (14) Turow (7) unread (4)

This was a remarkable book from an author and a genre I don't usually read about. I was quite shocked that I liked this. The story was well thought of, well paced and well written. The characters are memorable and they became a part of you. It's a law story that has heart and I think that what was good about it. I think this book is underrated so I recommend everybody to grab a copy and read it! Watch out for the twist at the end! ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Dec 24, 2012 |
Fantastic. This book kept me guessing until the very end. I wanted to find out what was going on from chapter to chapter so badly, that I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning, trying to finish the book. This is a fascinating, believable legal thriller. There are so many unexpected twists and turns that will keep you on your toes. I agree, there were a lot of characters and at times, it was hard to keep track of everyone. But all told, I was riveted from the beginning to the end. ( )
  artikaur | Dec 27, 2011 |
I suspect this is not one of Turow's best. Having only read one other, and that being ages ago, it's difficult to make a comparison, although I do recall enjoying that one. However, I think the abridgement (on audio) was largely at fault for my particular disinterest in this book. I had trouble keeping track of names & the story just seemed a little too disjointed for me. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 23, 2010 |
The continuing saga of the soap opera that is Kindle County. This is not the best of his books. It does have some mildlt interesting characters, but lacks the true tension of earlier works. This one is merely ok. ( )
  Borg-mx5 | Feb 13, 2010 |
A convincing story, other than the end eminently believable. Kept me reading it to the end. Essentially about corruption within the judicial system, its detection and the processes needed to flush it out. ( )
  peterannis | May 17, 2008 |

Scott Turowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wit, J.J. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welcome, thou kind deceiver!
Thou best of thieves; who with an easy key
Dost open life, and unperceived by us,
Even steal us from ourselves.
-John Dryden, All for Love
For Gail Hochman
He knew it was wrong, and that he was going to get caught. He said he knew this day was coming.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446608602, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Turow has always pushed himself beyond the expectations of readers and critics. In Presumed Innocent (1987), he introduced fictional Kindle County and ushered in the era that spawned such mega-authors as John Grisham, Richard North Patterson, and David Baldacci. In Personal Injuries, Turow continues to innovate on legal fiction, but his achievement this time is not gained through clever plot twists (though there are several) or intense legal action (though there is much of that too). The achievement of mastery this time is via exquisitely drawn, Faulknerian characters--attorney Robbie Feaver, agent Evon Miller, U.S. Attorney Stan Sennett, and Justice Brendan Tuohey--whose lives become the driving mystery at the core of the book.

The novel begins with Robbie Feaver seeking counsel from the narrator, attorney George Mason. For years, Feaver has been bribing several judges in the Common Law Claims Division to win favorable judgments. Now that U.S. Attorney Stan Sennett has uncovered Feaver's dirty little secret, he wants to use Feaver to get at the man he believes to be at the center of all the legal corruption in the metropolitan area, Brendan Tuohey, Presiding Judge of Common Law Claims and heir apparent to the Chief Justice of Kindle County Superior Court. With Mason as an advisor, Robbie assists Sennett and his team of FBI undercover agents in crafting a massive sting operation that involves an FBI-manufactured lawyer named "James McManis," a cast of fictional clients, and "Evon Miller"--a deep cover agent (and former Olympic athlete)--who poses as Robbie's paralegal and paramour.

With a skill rarely found in genre fiction, Turow composes his narrative with variations on several recurring themes. The novel ripples with paranoia as the FBI enshrouds the legal community of Kindle County in a web of tapped phones, concealed cameras, and wired spies.

At the center of indirection sit Robbie and Evon. The pair dance through an elegant game of erotically-charged hide and seek: Robbie the practiced liar and former actor, and Evon, the agent whose whole life must remain a fiction if she is to survive. At their best, legal thrillers leave readers confronting the core of their values and perceptions of legal and moral rectitude. Personal Injuries is the legal thriller at its very best. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:22 -0400)

Now in paperback -- the national bestseller from the author of "Presumed Innocent". To Robbie Feaver, the law is all about making a play -- to a client, a jury, or judge. But when caught taking bribes, he's forced to wear a wire in exchange for leniency. Even as he looks after his ailing wife, Feaver must make tapes that will hurl his friends, enemies, and an FBI undercover agent into a crisis.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,449,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible